JVC HA-FX40 | Believe the hype!
Apr 5, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #211 of 226
  Thanks for the link Apex eight, just like Wokei, Amazon does not ship this product to Australia, however it seems the other sellers that have them at cheaper prices from Japan do offer international shipping.
No point in buying a 4th pair though if its only difference is the right angled plug? It seems nobody has tried these orange versions on here so no comparisons are available to my knowledge.

No problem! The only reason I know that a Japanese version exists is that @FrequencyBlue posted a couple pictures of his way earlier in this thread. He hasn't posted since 2014 though, so Idk if we can get him to share his impressions. 

You've had four pairs of FX40s? If I might ask, what for? I would like to get a second pair to compare them to my burned-in pair.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #213 of 226
No ...3 pairs. I use them while sleeping mostly, so i did not want to put too much strain on the one pair....I got a pair cheap2nd hand. Black new & blue new. They look good also as a bonus. All these sound the same. Horrible when you first get them but after burn in they are very nice indeed.
Mind you they wont set the world alight while cranking, but they perform better when not pushed too hard, hence perfect for when i go to bed. I always where these over the ear.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #214 of 226
Man...these FX40s are like a baby Dunu Titan 1 but with greater treble extension and less prominent mids (they continue to come forward with more play time, and it feels like their soundstage is opening up....still not large though). Very similar signatures otherwise. Heck, even their isolation level is similar; ie. below average. Comfort is on part, if not better with the FX40s.

I did some tip rolling and settle on my UE600 medium tips. Small bore tips didn't really relax the treble at all, and boosted mid-bass which I wasn't a fan of. Stock tips wouldn't seal properly in my left ear. UE600 tips sound great and seal well.

For the 19 CAD paid, these are a heck of a deal.

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #215 of 226
Not sure about that. Titan 1 treble extension is quite good. My FX46 is 8-24,000 same as the FX40 and the treble extension is pretty close with the Titan 1 but greater reach should not be the case. Only the big boy JVC with the 30,000 should exceed the Titan 1. Maybe it is a high peak or something emphasized for some reason over the Titan 1 giving the impression. Or fit/tip choice rolling them off etc. I haven't heard that with both of my phones under optimal conditions for each.

Just seems off, but possible, with the right cause
popcorn.gif

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #216 of 226
  Not sure about that. Titan 1 treble extension is quite good. My FX46 is 8-24,000 same as the FX40 and the treble extension is pretty close with the Titan 1 but greater reach should not be the case. Only the big boy JVC with the 30,000 should exceed the Titan 1. Maybe it is a high peak or something emphasized for some reason over the Titan 1 giving the impression. Or fit/tip choice rolling them off etc. I haven't heard that with both of my phones under optimal conditions for each.

Just seems off, but possible, with the right cause
popcorn.gif

I guess my choice of terminology was poor
tongue_smile.gif
 Forgive me, for I am not yet learned in the ways of Head-fi-fu.

What I maybe should have said was that treble emphasis on the FX40s was greater than that on the Titans. I've been a/bing them all morning with UE600 and large Sony Hybrid. The Titans are a touch warmer, definitely smoother and more refined, but the FX40s output a very similar signature overall. I suppose the extra treble energy from the JVCs gives the impression of greater extension. My bee, lol.

Either way, neither of these iems would be good for the treble-sensitive. The new NarMoos would be better for those ears since they focus on mid/bass, and under-emphasize the upper regions.

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #217 of 226
That would make perfect sense. Of course, FX46 vs. FX40 more oppose each other. More bass emphasis and less treble emphasis than the FX40 tries to be. FX46 are the warmer and smoother one over the Titan 1 this time.

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #218 of 226
Hi jant71,

I believe you have both fx40 and fx46. Right now the lowest price for fx40 that I can find is 22USD and for FR46 (yes the one with mic) is 36 USD. Quite a significant price difference. Of course the fx/fr46 design is nicer (for me) , but how about the sound quality? Any significant difference? Just want to try JVC sound signature since I have many other lower cost (<40USD) IEM from Sony, Pioneer, Huawei, Soundmagic, Audio-technica, Zero Audio etc. Thank you.

Apr 15, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #219 of 226
Only have the FX46, atm, but they are a bit different. FX46 is the usual larger(non-micro) driver JVC house sound and the FX40 is the "different" sounding one. FX46 has enough treble but quite bass focused with good low reach and syrupy sweet vocals. Good with guitars. Not the treble or treble peaks you hear about with the FX40.

You either will lean toward the clarity treble focus(FX40) or the more bassy lush sound(FX46). The FX46 will be the JVC take but more similar to what you have from AT, Pioneer, Sony, and SoundMagic.

Apr 26, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #220 of 226
How are the FX45s and the FR41? Really good-looking IEMs but not sure.

I don't have the FX40 but I tried my friend's and it wasn't really my cup of tea. It's quite detailed with a treble peak but I would have liked more mids.

Jul 2, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #221 of 226
I've had these headphones for almost a year and like them for music but for podcasts, these things kill me with the sibilance.  Is there some way to dampen this (either with a specific type of burn in or EQ setting)?

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #222 of 226
Got the JVC ha-fx40 about a year ago, and wow, the highs sure are brilliant! Love'em! also for those concerned about the thin cables leading up to the earpiece. there's no need to worry. I've accidentally tugged HARD at them multiple times (through the cable getting caught onto something) and they've never detached.

Apr 15, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #223 of 226
I thought I would revive this thread since I just got a pair of the HA-FX40s.  About a year ago my Er-6is broke where the foamies attach to the earbud rendering one of the buds unusable.  As I'm going to be having a week long stay in an epilepsy monitoring unit I thought I would pick up a new pair of IEMs as they won't interfere with the electrodes that they will be gluing to my head.

My expectation from the posts others have made here is that these IEMs would be a bit thin sounding because of their brightness.  Normally with cheap headphones you get too much highs and little/no bass, or muddy bass with no midrange or treble.  Having just unboxed these and listening for nearly an hour,, I have to say I'm impressed.  They ARE very bright and with the wrong music it can be a bit harsh.  Midrange is fine but dark and can make some singers seem distant.  That said, as a basshead I'm shocked.  These IEMs are bright but the bass knocks my socks off.  These give my DT-770s a run for their money.  The 770s are much smoother, but you have to keep in mind that a pair of 770s runs about $200 while the HA-FX40s ran me all of $13 from Amazon with free shipping.  These aren't nearly as isolating as the ER-6is were but it's good enough, and with that killer bass you probably wouldn't notice.  They are very comfortable and after you put them in you'll hardly notice they are there.  With the foamies on the ER-6i it was a bit of a struggle to get a good seal and these don't seem to have that problem.

All in all, I'm pretty happy.  Oh, I was going to mention burn-in.  Not a particular believer in burn-in, but as a professional test engineer I can say that often times critical equipment is placed in environmental chambers where they are stress tested at low and high temperatures to make sure the equipment isn't temperature sensitive.  That said, this doesn't apply to headphones.  Mechanical burn in is probably real but I think most of the change is due to placebo.  Burn-in should be done at moderate to high volume for the best effect, preferably with bass heavy music and not white noise.  Anyway,, feel free to disagree.

Apr 30, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #224 of 226
Thought I would update this thread.  I've had the HA-FX40s now for a few weeks and I have to say, the midrange is starting to get better.  It's still a dark signature but it's very detailed for such a low priced can.  I've been bicycle commuting with these and they sound great.  I can hear traffic going by listening at a low level which is perfect.  Had a bit of an issue today though.  I must've gotten sweat in one of the IEMs as the right driver started fading on me.  At a low volume the sound kept cutting out and sounding very distorted.  The problem seems to be going away on its own but there's still a slight buzz that really stands out on some tracks.  I hope I didn't hurt the IEM by playing at too loud of a volume.  I don't think these cans can take much power.

Dec 4, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #225 of 226
Noob here. I have a pair of the JVC HA-FX40 and I love it!! My inquiry now is this earbud's exact (or very close) quality  and price point but with mic...any suggestions? Open to attachment and adapters too but I heard using those lessens the audio quality. Thanks fellas!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back