JVC HA-FX40 | Believe the hype!
Feb 20, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #196 of 226
You can expect a "thicker" sound with the Pistons and less treble.

Yeah I don't think the "warm and smooth" sound signature is for me. I got that with the SE215 and wasn't crazy about it. I just got the FX40 as a cheap introduction to a really V-shaped sound. I like trying budget IEMs that are decent indicators of a particular sound signature to help me choose my first "high end" earphone

Feb 27, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #197 of 226
Im still enjoying my 3 pairs.... Sure they need a few hours on em to tame the bass, but nothing comes close to them at low volumes.
Especially in bed. Both ends of the spectrum do extend, just the mids get sucked out def V shaped fun sounding...Tip Rolling is also fun.
These are very lively & have deep bass punch with crispy splashy highs. Just Listening to Bill Frisell Live throgh my computer running Foobar & Viper 4 Windows. Cranking them up definately gives you that live feeling.

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #198 of 226
So it's been about a month and half since I first got these. At first, I was pretty surprised by the amount of edge the treble had. It has since seemed to calmed down a bit. The treble is brighter than what I remember from the MEElectronics M-Duo, which I thought had quite energetic treble to begin with. The treble on my RE-400s in comparison now sounds dull. I feel like a more V or U shaped signature is my preference. The bass is so nice and tight. I feel like it's just the perfect amount too. It's not overbearing on the more natural genres of music but still has plenty for electronic music and rap/hip hop. It's rare that I find the bass over done. While the mids are a bit recessed, I feel like the entire presentation doesn't suffer all that much. I've really come to like their sound. Fit was a big issue at first, but after a good bit of trial and error, they're great. I prefer them over the ear, which is weird considering I liked them worn down when I first got them.

I've honestly really really come to like how these sound. I guess they really do need ample burn in. Though I did just get in on the VSD2/AN16 preorder, I would like to get another pair of these to compare their sound to the ones I've burned in. There is a Japanese version of the FX40 with a right angled plug, correct? Anywhere know where I can find a pair? I saw some on Amazon but I'm not a fan of their bright orange color.

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #202 of 226
Back on the FX40 wagon! I did own a pair of these briefly, but the HA-FR201 pretty much had the same signature covered so I returned them. Now that my 201s have died, I decided to buy the FX40 once again and give them a more in depth ownership experience.

Initial impressions:
- Harsh, slashy treble? Check
- Recessed mids? Check
- Lots o' bass? Not quite what I remembered. Kinda of anemic actually. Huh.
- Foam tips? Wait....this pair came with foam tips, and JVC's awesome dual clamp shirt clip!!?!?!??! Win! I swear these were not included in the original version I bought.
- Congested soundstage? Check

After 20+ hours of burnination:
- Harsh, splashy treble? Gone....they are still really bright, but things have smoothed out and they sound much sharper
- Recessed mids? Still recessed but not as much.
- Lots o' bass? Yeah...there's the bass I was looking for.
- Congested soundstage? Not so much. Soundstage hasn't opened up, but instruments now have their own defined locations.

These are much more fun than I remember. Glad I repurchased them.

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #205 of 226
B9Scrambler .....nice ......makes me wanna get a pair ....cheers

Go for it Wokei! They are a pretty fun iem. Not the most technically proficient, but fun :)

Dude that is exactly the process I went through. Quite the change. 

Nice! They're one of the few iems I've owned where "burn in" makes a big change.

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #207 of 226
They are certainly very comfy as well. Do try them as they are cheap & fun sounding. Remember the burn in as people have said. I havent heard of the orange pair? Is there anyone who has tried them? any links? 

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #208 of 226
They are certainly very comfy as well. Do try them as they are cheap & fun sounding. Remember the burn in as people have said. I havent heard of the orange pair? Is there anyone who has tried them? any links? 

JVC Victor In-ear Stereo Headphones | HA-FX40-D Orange (Japanese Import) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005TZ4DOU/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_nO-hvb00CNGRJ

There are other sellers offering them at lower prices. The only difference I know of between these and the US versions are that these have a right angled plug.

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #209 of 226
Me would get it but me location is not serviced by Amazon and if they do .....most dont ship to Makaysia and if they do ...the shipping is more expensive than the item ..last me check ...sad :cool:

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #210 of 226
Thanks for the link Apex eight, just like Wokei, Amazon does not ship this product to Australia, however it seems the other sellers that have them at cheaper prices from Japan do offer international shipping.
No point in buying a 4th pair though if its only difference is the right angled plug? It seems nobody has tried these orange versions on here so no comparisons are available to my knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back