JVC HA-FW01 - The New Top End Wood Driver IEM (2017)
Mar 11, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #691 of 780
Hello All,
My FW01 just arrived from Drop and was able to have a listen this morning. All I can say is that these are truly amazing to me, warm, lush, huge sound - exactly what I was after! But also huge in size... I can no way get a good fit wearing them down with any of the tips provided! The angle of the nozzle seems too awkward for my ears and I just can't keep them in! I read in an earlier post to try wearing them up and did. Much better wearing up but with one big problem. They were not designed that way and the plugs are in the way of being able to wrap the cord around my ears. Haha. Anyone find a solution to this? Maybe a cord with shorter MMCX plugs?

PS Upon further inspection, they fit better when put in the opposite ears! I'm truly at a loss trying to figure out a fit and don't understand why the nozzles point outward instead of inward, which feel much better. Can't they just build them like my Bose QC20's and be done with it?

Attachments

• JVC.jpg
    JVC.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #692 of 780
PS Upon further inspection, they fit better when put in the opposite ears! I'm truly at a loss trying to figure out a fit and don't understand why the nozzles point outward instead of inward, which feel much better. Can't they just build them like my Bose QC20's and be done with it?

Feel free to swap cable to the opposite earpiece when you wear them like that. Most MMCX connectors are smaller (though not by that much), there are also angled connector cables, detachable silicon ear guides, pre-formed and memory wire cables . Alternately, bigger, smaller, shorter, longer, biflange, foam, custom (like Snugs) etc... third party tips which may or may not help (would your QC20 tips fit?).

They have used a fairly similar housing for years with their wooden IEM series (actually used to be even bigger), presumably there are reasons. If you're fixated on the wood thing, the HA-FW7 (import only) looks smaller in pictures, but don't quote me on that (nozzle probably similar though).

Mar 14, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #693 of 780
FW-01 from Drop arrived Thursday evening. I briefly tried them with pre-installed tips and thought they were too small. I swapped on a new pair of the AUVIO silicone tips that I had been using with my FX-850. They fit on the stems and in my ears perfectly. I’m very glad that JVC didn’t change the stem diameter.

My initial reactions match many of the reviews shared here: the FW-01 bass reaches lower than the FX-850, and may be tighter. The treble also goes a little higher than the 850, which was a bit piercing on a few tracks. I’m hoping they smooth out a little with burn-in (I’m at 28 hours) and/or my brain adjusts. I mostly listened with my O2 amp+DAC and MacBook Pro. I also tried a few songs directly from my iPhone 7 Plus.

I like that the FW-01 are shorter and don’t stick out as far in ear. I’m currently not loving the cloth-covered cable, which seems to twist more than the 850’s.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #695 of 780
Is it any earhooks on market to put "into" ears to avoid WOODies from falling out ?

Try wearing your FW01 with the cable over the ear, or use the cable cinch to keep them secure.

Mar 25, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #698 of 780
I finally figured this out and am now much happier with my new FW01s, even though they stick out of my ears ridiculously. Looking through my junk drawer I found these ear-stays from some old Jlab Epics that fit perfectly on the barrol of the JVCs. I liked those consumer grade IEMs which had an OK warm sound (no detail) with a very comfortable and stable fit. Here they are to bail me out of what I think are phenomenal IEMs with the worst fit ever - the JVC-FW01. I hope this helps some of you with normal ears like mine. You are welcome JVC!

Attachments

• 20200325_141644.jpg
    20200325_141644.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200325_141815.jpg
    20200325_141815.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200325_141914.jpg
    20200325_141914.jpg
    553.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 11, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #699 of 780
Hi all,
I have fx850 now. Iam a bass head. Need more bass. Which to choose fw01 or cupid ? Or any other suggestions in 300$ range. My expections are heavy bass, thick sound and bigger soundstage than fx850, silky treble without fatigue n for long listening.

Apr 11, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #700 of 780
Hi all,
I have fx850 now. Iam a bass head. Need more bass. Which to choose fw01 or cupid ? Or any other suggestions in 300$ range. My expections are heavy bass, thick sound and bigger soundstage than fx850, silky treble without fatigue n for long listening.
I have FW01 and Cupid. After owning Cupid, I hardly touched my FW01.Cupid made FW01 sounds muffled to me. Cupid is good but is extremely sensitive to how you get a seal. Shallow insert depth only. Play with all the ear tips you have. Once you managed to get a good seal, the sub bass goes deep and layered. Mid bass has better impact and cleaner. Imaging and soundstage are better too. Details retrieval is very good too. Once you get used to the speed of Cupid, normal DD Iems sounds slow.
The only thing I missed from FW01 is the mid range and timbre. Vocals are very good on FW01. It's up to you but most of my songs are EDM and I prefer them with Cupid.

Apr 13, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #701 of 780
I have FW01 and Cupid. After owning Cupid, I hardly touched my FW01.Cupid made FW01 sounds muffled to me. Cupid is good but is extremely sensitive to how you get a seal. Shallow insert depth only. Play with all the ear tips you have. Once you managed to get a good seal, the sub bass goes deep and layered. Mid bass has better impact and cleaner. Imaging and soundstage are better too. Details retrieval is very good too. Once you get used to the speed of Cupid, normal DD Iems sounds slow.
The only thing I missed from FW01 is the mid range and timbre. Vocals are very good on FW01. It's up to you but most of my songs are EDM and I prefer them with Cupid.
Thank you very much for your precise comparison and suggestion.

Apr 15, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #704 of 780
I hate to belabor this, but is there another IEM with a similar sound signature with a better fit?

Perhaps the final E5000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back