JVC HA-FW01 - The New Top End Wood Driver IEM (2017)
May 5, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #331 of 780
Just ordered the FW-01 a couple of minutes ago from amazon! eagerly waiting for the package to arrive so i can get those 200 hours of burn in and finally listen to the oh so hyped woodies! i'll be using a JDS labs element for the burn in process....i hope i'm getting everything right....also an extremely stupid question..is there anything other than pink noise that i should play for burn in?

Congrats!

May 7, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #332 of 780
Congrats for your new cabe. I am fallen crazy about OC studio cable. I had to force myself not to buy anymore cable as the cables are affordable but bit by bit they add up.
I read your review with interest. I am also keeping an eye on these cables. The dilemma is the Orpheus MK5 or Zeus for the FW01? Now I am using the origiaal cable, which is (copper I guess) actually not bad, through the balanced output with a little cable converter (Onkyo Granbeat). Your thoughts?

Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #335 of 780
Personally, on AK240 my FW02 sounds V-shaped with much emphasis on the bass and a recessed mids, I believe it's due to the insufficient power of AK240 to drive the FW02.
But on my Opus #2, FW02 comes alive and very balanced rather than the V shaped sound.

This is interesting.... Pardon me for resurrecting old post, but this is very interesting.

For long time, i've thought i got problematic FW02. I was wondering what's wrong with FW02. When i use X1A to drive FW02, it does sound very V-shaped. The V-shape sounds very extreme that it made me wonder what's so great about JVC new wood series. I thought maybe it's my hearing LOL.

Then i change to KANN. While i'm not sure if it's most powerful, but i do find it to have more authority, and when i pair it with FW02, then and only then i understand what's good about this wood IEM.

Jun 2, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #336 of 780
Bought FW01 a couple of weeks ago at Bic Camera in Tokyo and so far extremely happy with them. I have quite a few headphones and among my IEM's this JVC woodie sounds absolutely best even before full burn-in. The first test music was Keith Jarrett's legendary The Köln Concerts in hi-res and the grand piano sound is just amazing. Been listening to FW01 using the new Onkyo Granbeat and the old and trustworthy AK120 as sources, testing also the balanced output from Granbeat with a Furutech adapter as well as a Nobunaga Labs cable. Any recommendations for 3rd party tips for FW01?

Jun 3, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #337 of 780
Bought FW01 a couple of weeks ago at Bic Camera in Tokyo and so far extremely happy with them. I have quite a few headphones and among my IEM's this JVC woodie sounds absolutely best even before full burn-in. The first test music was Keith Jarrett's legendary The Köln Concerts in hi-res and the grand piano sound is just amazing. Been listening to FW01 using the new Onkyo Granbeat and the old and trustworthy AK120 as sources, testing also the balanced output from Granbeat with a Furutech adapter as well as a Nobunaga Labs cable. Any recommendations for 3rd party tips for FW01?

I've used Comply T400 tips to good effect. Also, SpinFit seems to get a lot of love here on Head-Fi.

I like the included Spiral Dots since they have an ML size that fits perfectly for me.

Jun 4, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #338 of 780
How much were they in yen?

Jun 9, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #339 of 780
Sorry for the delay in replying regarding the price. It was 40.880 yen plus tax. As visitor you can buy tax free and they give some additional discount instead of the point card points. Basically the same price at Yodobashi as well.

Jun 10, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #340 of 780
Sorry for the delay in replying regarding the price. It was 40.880 yen plus tax. As visitor you can buy tax free and they give some additional discount instead of the point card points. Basically the same price at Yodobashi as well.
Thanks for the info. Price seems to be about the same at Amazon Japan. Interesting that eBay (US) has a listing for $299 new and free ship.

Jun 10, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #341 of 780
Thanks for the info. Price seems to be about the same at Amazon Japan. Interesting that eBay (US) has a listing for $299 new and free ship.

I'm always wary of prices significantly less than typical due to counterfeits, but I checked the listing and it seems to be in order. However, there's a 20% restock fee if returned and this is a bit concerning.

Jun 10, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #342 of 780
Jun 11, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #343 of 780
It is strange if so much cheaper than official sellers in Japan, where it is made in. The cheapest price in Japan is about 40K yen. http://kakaku.com/item/K0000910437/?lid=ksearch_kakakuitem_image

I own the Sennheiser IE 800 and before I bought them I was surprised by the prices I found on eBay, some at half of retail. In researching this before I made my purchase, I learned about counterfeit versions and how prevalent they were. From that experience, I'm highly skeptical about much lower prices ... I only want the real deal, not some Chinese knockoff.

Jun 12, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #344 of 780
I own the Sennheiser IE 800 and before I bought them I was surprised by the prices I found on eBay, some at half of retail. In researching this before I made my purchase, I learned about counterfeit versions and how prevalent they were. From that experience, I'm highly skeptical about much lower prices ... I only want the real deal, not some Chinese knockoff.
I agree. If a product made by an international brand can be bought considerably cheaper than "normal" somewhere, there are usually only two main reasons, if it is a legal and genuine product, not a counterfeit: the prices vary because of different VAT rates in different countries or someone is selling it for a much lower margin. In Japan the VAT is only 8 % compared to around 20 % and above in most of Europe. A brand new Made in Japan product by a Japanese brand, when the local retailers in Japan are normally not allowed to give big discounts in the first months of the product's release, could be found slightly cheaper in another country. Hong Kong recommended price seems to be very close to Japanese retail price, but there could be another Asian country where due to currency exchange rates and lower retail margins the price could be lower and someone could export it unofficially to a a third country at VAT 0%. It might become a grey market product and thus the warranty might not work. And depending on the home country of the buyer, there would be either a small or a big risk in having to pay taxes when receiving the shipment from overseas. So, a 25 % cheaper than Japanese net price might not make sense with this type of brand new premium product..... Anyway, I think HA-FW01 sounds absolutely great and is a good deal at below or around 400 USD or euros:)

Jun 25, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #345 of 780
So what is your verdict on these two. I want to give a go to the zeus (a 4-wire version for portable use), but the orpheous also might be an option as I heard a few good things about it. I'll be using them balanced with the Onkyo Granbeat. I tried a couple of low-cost Japanese balanced cables on loan from friends (Onso &Nobunaga Labs) - not impressed.

I would like to suggest the goin for the zeus 8wire. Still very portable. It is still the best match for the fw01. Just reached 350+ hours, and it just hits all the right notes for my music tastes. Im going for an ifi micro idsd BL, should have it in my hands soon, will post some thoughts on the pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back