JVC HA-FW01 - The New Top End Wood Driver IEM (2017)
Apr 26, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #316 of 780
So I got my FW01's .....I'm rather disappointment. They don't sound worth 400 dollars. I expected so much but they don't return a whole lot. They sound a lot like my Shure se215. They especially let down with classical music, where all the instruments seem pushed back and muffled. They only really sound good with slow acoustic music, but not much else. I'm going against what I generally believe and am letting them ''Burn in" to see if it helps. Otherwise, I don't know what could be wrong. I'm using a Fiio X1 DAP, entry level but still solid. Tried an amp with it. No change. I just thought from all the hype talk that they'd wow me, but they havent yet. Any advice guys? I want to like these.

I think my main grievance is that classical music doesn't sound very immersive with these. Part of the reason I bought them was that I was reading how good the FX 850 were for classical, but like I said, it seems like all the instruments are pushed back and distant. With my other cans, it feels like I'm surrounded by the orchestra, not sitting in the farthest back seat in the theater like with these.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #318 of 780
So I got my FW01's .....I'm rather disappointment. They don't sound worth 400 dollars. I expected so much but they don't return a whole lot. They sound a lot like my Shure se215. They especially let down with classical music, where all the instruments seem pushed back and muffled. They only really sound good with slow acoustic music, but not much else. The bass is opaque, the highs are okay, and I'm not sure I can even hear a mid. Maybe it isn't that bad, but they don't meet my expectations. My 400 dollar expectations. I'm going against what I generally believe and am letting them ''Burn in" to see if it helps. Otherwise, I don't know what could be wrong. I'm using a Fiio X1 DAP, entry level but still solid. Tried an amp with it. No change. I just thought from all the hype talk that they'd wow me, but they havent yet. Any advice guys? I want to like these.

I think my main grievance is that classical music doesn't sound very immersive with these. Part of the reason I bought them was that I was reading how good the FX 850 were for classical, but like I said, it seems like all the instruments are pushed back and distant. With my other cans, it feels like I'm surrounded by the orchestra, not sitting in the farthest back seat in the theater like with these.

They need at least 200 hours on them, so keep your hopes up ...

Apr 27, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #319 of 780
So I got my FW01's .....I'm rather disappointment. They don't sound worth 400 dollars. I expected so much but they don't return a whole lot. They sound a lot like my Shure se215. They especially let down with classical music, where all the instruments seem pushed back and muffled. They only really sound good with slow acoustic music, but not much else. The bass is opaque, the highs are okay, and I'm not sure I can even hear a mid. Maybe it isn't that bad, but they don't meet my expectations. My 400 dollar expectations. I'm going against what I generally believe and am letting them ''Burn in" to see if it helps. Otherwise, I don't know what could be wrong. I'm using a Fiio X1 DAP, entry level but still solid. Tried an amp with it. No change. I just thought from all the hype talk that they'd wow me, but they havent yet. Any advice guys? I want to like these.

Like jwebrent mentioned above, these don't reach their peak without looooong burn-in (According to the reviews). They were also designed to be used dual-balanced with a new amp (As was the big-brother SW01), so the Fiio X1 might not be doing them justice.

Apr 27, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #320 of 780
They need at least 200 hours on them, so keep your hopes up ...

Like jwebrent mentioned above, these don't reach their peak without looooong burn-in (According to the reviews). They were also designed to be used dual-balanced with a new amp (As was the big-brother SW01), so the Fiio X1 might not be doing them justice.

I'll let them keep burning in and see what happens. And I'm gonna have to say 100 % no to the dual balanced deal. I'm sorry but IEMs are meant for portability, and that means I'm not about to lug a stack of machinery with me everywhere I go. If the sound doesn't improve soon, I'm going to have to send them back, or sell them if the 200 hundred hours exceeds the time I have to return them.

Apr 27, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #321 of 780
I'll let them keep burning in and see what happens. And I'm gonna have to say 100 % no to the dual balanced deal. I'm sorry but IEMs are meant for portability, and that means I'm not about to lug a stack of machinery with me everywhere I go. If the sound doesn't improve soon, I'm going to have to send them back, or sell them if the 200 hundred hours exceeds the time I have to return them.

I see where you're coming from, but that's the "advertised setup" they have. It's no different from the RHA CL1 Ceramic + Dacamp 1 or Sony's XBA-Z5 + PHA-3 combo. For sure, send them back if they aren't worth the money.

Apr 27, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #322 of 780
I see where you're coming from, but that's the "advertised setup" they have. It's no different from the RHA CL1 Ceramic + Dacamp 1 or Sony's XBA-Z5 + PHA-3 combo. For sure, send them back if they aren't worth the money.

Either that or I could sell them to someone, be a nice guy haha. If anyone here is looking for the FW01 at discount price

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #323 of 780
Also, the weird part is that they only seem to disappoint in classical/orchestral music. All other music sounds pretty good. When I was playing classical, everything sounded distant and smeared together, but then I put on some folk and boom, I had instruments all around me with about as much clarity as I could ask for. And I know it isn't the classical recordings because I tried many, and they sound good through my Sennheiser and Audio Technica headphones

Apr 29, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #324 of 780
One last update and then I'm done bugging this forum. Decided to keep them. From what I'm hearing, the FW01 scale up very well with equipment. They sound good enough with my current sources when using an EQ, but these will be an investment for the future when I have a better source. I'm sure I'll be happy I hung onto them.

May 3, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #328 of 780
Just ordered the FW-01 a couple of minutes ago from amazon! eagerly waiting for the package to arrive so i can get those 200 hours of burn in and finally listen to the oh so hyped woodies! i'll be using a JDS labs element for the burn in process....i hope i'm getting everything right....also an extremely stupid question..is there anything other than pink noise that i should play for burn in?

May 3, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #329 of 780
Hey all. Turns out I need some money rather quickly, and seeing as how the FW01 is currently my least favorite IEM .... well, it's for sale. Hardly used, but many hours of burn in already from playing in the background. Full packaging and all that stuff. It retails at 440 USD but I'm only asking 300 for it. I'll ship anywhere in the US and I'll pay shipping. PM if anyone wants them

May 3, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #330 of 780
Ive just passed approximately 100 hours on the oc studio zeus. And its a very detailed sound. Speed and decay is just perfect. It really brings the best out of the fw01. Im using oppo ha2 for dacamp low gain at 35 percent volume.

Ive started swaping with the copper orpheous and early signs are that the treble details and extension are still there..bass slight more rounded and midrange and vocals stand out more..very interesting copper cable, very satisfied

So what is your verdict on these two. I want to give a go to the zeus (a 4-wire version for portable use), but the orpheous also might be an option as I heard a few good things about it. I'll be using them balanced with the Onkyo Granbeat. I tried a couple of low-cost Japanese balanced cables on loan from friends (Onso &Nobunaga Labs) - not impressed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back