JVC "Black Series" (New Portable Phones)
Aug 30, 2009 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 82

jant71

Headphoneus Supremus
The Black series( M750 and S650) are slated to be in stock 9/3. We already have the S900 and S700. NEW JVC BLACK SERIES FOLDABLE HEADPHONES COMBINE PERFORMANCE AND STYLE

Photo of the M-750...http://resources.jvc.com/DocumentImages/00/00/10/52.JPG
Photo of the S-650...http://resources.jvc.com/DocumentImages/00/00/10/53.JPG

The S650 is nice but is not very interesting to me. I am more intrigued by the M750. Some are familiar with the M series due to the M1000 in threads like this...http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/vis...n-a900-304193/

Early prices seem to be under $50 shipped for the M750. It has the carbon compound driver and a carbon housing and stainless steel headband. The frequency response is 6-26,000 which is wider than all their newest releases even the RX900(7-26,000). BLACK CARBON INTEGRATED (not quite the cheapest but a good picture there)

I do know that it is portable oriented having 115 dB/mw sensitivity and 32ohm. I have the RX700 and had the S900. The carbon compound driver is good and the bass tone/timbre is different but the RX are harder to drive and sound tighter esp. unamped. I see the M750 as being very good though maybe a bit loose with a little bloat. The specs would suggest added impedance will tighten them up same as with the S900(MUCH better sound!).

These might be up there. Not sure just how big in size or weight yet, couldn't find the specs. They seem to be circumaural portables and could have good comfort and isolation also.

Hopefully we will get some comparos with HD228/238 and some others and see how good these will be. The price will drop as with all JVC's so just like S150's going for $5 to $7, the M750 might drop from $50 shipped to $30-$35 quite soon. They could be a hell of a bargain!

Sep 3, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 82
Some pics of my M750...

P1010003-1.jpg

P1010004-1.jpg

P1010005-2.jpg

P1010007-4.jpg

P1010008-2.jpg

P1010009-2.jpg

Impressions to follow...

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 82
Whoa... what a simple yet brilliant concept - make the original cord short with a 1/8" plug for portable use and provide an extension with a 1/4" plug for stationary use. JVC has got it right.

Waiting for you impressions...

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #5 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Opentoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To bad they aren't a single sided cable. At least that's what I'm after. Looks nice though.

dito. single sided is part of the portable idea... at least IMO.

still, decent in appearance, decent in size...

Now, the deciding factor as to whether these are ideal portables:

SQ and isolation.

i await impressions.
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 82
A few early thoughts...

Here is the rest of the M-series...ƒ‚ƒjƒ^[—pƒwƒbƒhƒzƒ“ˆê—— bƒrƒNƒ^[. The M750 fits in nicely between the M770 and M440. Larger than the 440 but smaller than the 770. It leans more toward the portable phone than the DJ phone. It is dual entry and does not swivel left and right(only up and down). It is a larger portable phone like the ESW9 or D1001 and similar to the ATH-SQ5 with the more square shape. The S650 is for those that want a smaller lightweight phone.

I am really liking the M750. No real detail on SQ yet till they have enough hours on them. I will say they sound more like the RX700 than the S900. They are more balanced and seem to have the most forward mids of the three. The bass is quick and sounds more like the RX700 bass. The S900 is very bass heavy and is rolls off earlier in the treble. I like the signature and they are quite fun sounding. I would say I can hear less resonance and bass bloat than the S900 as if the carbon housing does it's job. They both share the 40mm carbon compound driver but I feel the bass is tighter and much less boomy on the M-750.

For $49 shipped the build is quite good. The stainless steel headband is quite beefy and the plastic parts are all solid. The memory foam in the pads and headband is comfy. The cable is thicker than other portables I've had and is the same shiny covering like the RX700.

As for the isolation, I will put them in the middle of the spectrum. Better than smaller portables and supra-aurals and small DJ phones but not higher like an HD280 for example. It does differ with different heads. I don't have a large head and they don't clamp hard on me and would isolate a bit more if I bent them tighter. I guess you could get a little bit more or less depending on head size. They don't have the thicker or denser pads. They do have rubber gaskets around the drivers and these will give a second layer of isolation if they meet your ears. I guess they have thinner pads to make more room for ears and the gasket to help give back more isolation. If they clamp more the gaskets com into play more. The drivers and gaskets are angled so the back part is further away than the front to match ears which tend to stick out more toward the back.

They seem very able to be modded. The pads have room underneath and foam can easily be added for more isolation or to give more soundstage/distance from the driver. I guess the gasket can be taken out and give more soundstage. The sound being directed into the ear more might help with resonance though and freeing the sound out more may add closed can honk. They are not like the other portable S900 though. I was searching for thinner pads pretty quick to lessen the bass on the S900. The RX700 I put the K401 pads on pretty quick. With the M-750, I am not really looking to change the pads. I like the sound balance, soundstage, comfort, and level of isolation.

I am quite happy with the phones. More what I wanted then the S900's were. Easier to fit and seal. more comfy even with glasses. Nicer looks. More of my sound signature. A bit early to tell where they will end up on overall SQ. All things considered so far, I feel I've gotten more than money's worth.

More SQ stuff later on.

Sep 7, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #7 of 82
I've had some more time with the 750's and they are probably not fully burnt in yet but I have a good sense of them now.

The Denon C710 is one of the popular flavors right now. The M-750 is quite like the C710 is some respects. It has a good soundstage size. It is more in your face, energetic, involving/engaging, and it's best attributes are the bass and mids. It is more fun than the C710, IMO. I listen to full songs unlike the Denon when testing it instead of getting the idea and changing halfway through a song. I did 5 miles on the incumbent bike yesterday. Then I went another mile just to keep listening. More toe-tapping and I want to keep listening more than with the Denons.

What's different than the Denon would be that the mids are the best attribute followed closely by the bass instead of the other way around. Could these be the best mids under $50? This can is not bass dominant it is more balanced but still very full and rich sounding esp. the warm creamy mids.

I said before that the M750 is in between it's bigger DJ can brothers and smaller portable brothers. To me, it is between a monitor and a portable consumer can soundwise also. True to it's monitor series name everything is easy to pick out and well separated. You want to follow a bass line or just the skins or whatever. It is all seems right out in front easy to pick up and follow. It can be very analytical like a monitor should be. It is still rich and full like a consumer portable. Again it is not boomy with a huge bottom end like certain DJ cans or like some other portables. Fun and analytical in a nice balance -> That's the big draw here!

They are sensitive so the detail is good. They like to be pushed also. Not bright in the high end like the C710 and when you crank them they become more dynamic and the bass and treble rise up a bit more but never harsh on the highs or boomy on the lows. And with the mids so good and ever so slightly forward they always sound in balance. The rich/full sound is good for low level listening as they don't thin out and the sensitivity helps here also. So they can rock out and behave and sound good lower at night lying down. The smaller size works with a pillow well enough. You can't lay on your side, of course, but they are better in bed or couch/chair than a full size.

They sound a little on the thick side. It is only 50 hours on them though. They might gain more clarity but them may be designed that way. Outside with external sounds the thicker nature cancels out. I will look for any added clarity as they burn in more but don't really need it with these. It is like a blanket of warmth, not a veil, and is more good than bad.

As a monitor I find they reflect a source signature quite accurately. Say the Denon C710 with a Sony minidisc is boomy and bright. The M750 gives a beefier bottom end without as much boom and the treble is laid back and darker. That is the correct. The Sony is warm with more bass but less treble emphasis. It is sensitive like the Denon but totally predictable with sources and sound settings.

Hey these things might make a good gym partner! They do motivate and keep you going! They look good and no one will start talking to you not realizing you have IEMs in your ears. I did some push ups and they where fine. Had my head back guzzling some water and the stayed put again. Not bad with the heat build up for a closed can.

I am not really big into portable closed phones having had only a few. I've had the Panasonic SlimZ, Philips SHL9500, JVS900, HD202, and Numark PHX Pro. These are my favorite slightly over the PHX Pro. Having had the S900 which is JVC's other "premium" portable it is my opinion that the M-750 is JVC's best portable phone.

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #8 of 82
Interesting, I have been looking for a portable headphone. What kinds of music sound good with these cans?

Sep 7, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #9 of 82
It should cover a fairly wide range of music. It won't be a horrible match for some music like it's brother the S900 which is largely a bass heavy more consumer sound.

Maybe not quite bassy enough for Rap or real bassheads without some EQ but not far away.

Classical works since they are balanced and have well separated instruments. A little more up front might not work so well here depending on how far back you like to be.

Great if you place an importance on vocals. Great for rock, pop, and other guitar based music.

They do seem to add a layer of warmth, texture, meat to the sound. Crisper music will be "enriched". I find that I like what it does, myself. if you place a big importance on transparency, these are not really for you. Well maybe. I'm big on transparency but still like these a lot.

A little EQ on either end can make them either bassier or crisper. There balance means they can cover a wider range of music than an Ety or a big bass phone that leans more toward one side of the spectrum.

Sep 7, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #10 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It should cover a fairly wide range of music. It won't be a horrible match for some music like it's brother the S900 which is largely a bass heavy more consumer sound.

Maybe not quite bassy enough for Rap or real bassheads without some EQ but not far away.

Classical works since they are balanced and have well separated instruments. A little more up front might not work so well here depending on how far back you like to be.

Great if you place an importance on vocals. Great for rock, pop, and other guitar based music.

They do seem to add a layer of warmth, texture, meat to the sound. Crisper music will be "enriched". I find that I like what it does, myself. if you place a big importance on transparency, these are not really for you. Well maybe. I'm big on transparency but still like these a lot.

A little EQ on either end can make them either bassier or crisper. There balance means they can cover a wider range of music than an Ety or a big bass phone that leans more toward one side of the spectrum.

Thanks for the info Jant.

Sep 7, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #12 of 82
They are circumaural. The measurements might help since heads/ear are different. The pads are 4" x 3" to the outside and the hole/ear room size inside is 2.5" x 1.5"( with some more room under the rear of the pads because of the angled design ).

I should also mention that glossy black carbon housings are smudge magnets.

Sep 7, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #13 of 82
I remember when JVC was the joke of the audio world... there headphones were not all that. I'm starting to get interested.

Sep 8, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #14 of 82
So how do these compare to the low end Grados?

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #15 of 82
It's been a long time since, but I had the old battle between the SR60 and the Koss driver(KSC 35 and Sportapro with Parts Express style headband mod) for which is more fun. I found the Koss a bit more fun but they were both good for rock as there rep was.

The M750 is more warm and has less treble emphasis than the SR60 does. It is somewhat like a better Porta Pro/KSC35. It does separate better like the Grado does. It is also more up front like the Grado. At this point the treble sounds similar to the Koss. Very little of the transparency of the Grado. Neither can punch as hard as the M750 even though it has maybe slightly more bass(in amount) than the Grado and less than the bassier(non-KSC 75) Koss driver. Tone and timbre more resembling the Koss. They do strike me as somewhat of blend of those two but better in the mids and thicker than even the Koss.

Still, this is from memory and no mods done on the SR60. I would also like to put another 100 hours on the M750, there might be some change. So, take this with a grain of salt. You know, gear and ears, they are all different. I have found the JVC well worth the cash and worth recommending.

The M750 is under $50 and I won't say they sound any better than a SR60. I will say I prefer the M750, think they are more fun, more textured, more impactful, and a little bigger sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back