Just tried Beats Studio, Pro, and Solo at Best Buy
May 10, 2011 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Surag238

Head-Fier

Just tried the beats solo, pro, and studio at Best Buy for about 5 minutes each.  They have selected records to test under the rock, jazz, r&b, and hip hop genres.  To be honest, the rock and jazz is a stretch-the Jazz is vocal heavy with mono-instrument and limited soundstage design to begin with.  So the audio is basically geared to fit with the beats.  The rock is heavily synthesized with hardly any multi-channel sourcing and heavy on, you guessed it, beats.  The R&b and hip hop are fine for what the beats are for, black eyed peas thumping soundtracks round out the offerings. 

Anyway, I would say neither the solo nor the pro are worth the entry fee.  The studios are the best of the three but thats not saying much. 

With the black eyed peas track, boom boom pow, the studios shine measurably compared to the other headphone sets.  Even here, its obvious there is incredible bass distortion and a failure to present the full range properly.  The headphones struggle when bass is not prominent in the track.  They add an artificial bass to the treble and voices have an unnatural deeper voice. 

When playing other genres its a no contest these are inferior headphones. Im not sure why they even included the Jazz (no matter how carefully selected the tracks were) because the vocals are muddied and the instruments are not clear.  In fact, I would say while my image s4s brought out the full range of the sounds the Beats actually reduce them or drown them out.  

Whats especially terrible about the Beats headphones in general is that none of the other two justify any price for what they are selling.  The pro and solos fail even as bass heavy monitors and have similar problems compared to the studios for other music types. 

However, I would say that the pros come the closest to offering decent quality sound without overpowering bass.  But for 200 dollars you can do far better. 

Anyone buying or contemplating buying these headphones (any of the three) would do best looking elsewhere. 

As a non-audiophile with limited experience I am not coming with a biased attitude against the beats.  One can even say i was hoping to root for them considering the amount of negativity on this forum.  Alas, I cannot be their advocate.  

Verdict: Do not buy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back