Just received an empty box from J&R instead of Senn 650s...
Aug 25, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #33 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by hulkster
Seriously like said above, if J&R regularly package these headphones, wouldn't they notice a weight difference. I understand the box has weight to it, but still. And ya, you definitely should get another 21 days, they are aware of the problem.

IMHO, it is kind of hard to notice the difference.. plus, you don't expect this kind of thing to happen often so people get rather careless about the weight.. or weight difference..

Aug 26, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #34 of 95
Wow. Here's some additional information that casts additional light (unfortunately) on what's going on at J & R.

I ordered an iPod and a third party clear case from them on August 13, having had good luck with this firm with a number of previous purchases. The parcel arrived this past Monday, August 21. The box actually appeared a bit beaten up and there were small gaps at the sides of the top of the box, even though the "pilfer-proof tape" was not broken. I took out the two items and put them on a table. The Apple iPod packaging appeared intact so it didn't occur to me that anything unusual had occurred.

The following morning I opened the Apple box and what do you know, there was NO IPOD in the box! I immediately called J & R and got pretty much the same kind of treatment other forum members are describing. That is, their tactic seems to be to try to make UPS appear responsible for the theft. They will check the weight of the parcel, etc. UPS is supposed to contact me about an "investigation," but it's three days later and absolutely nothing has happened.

I have subsequently written to J & R (to start a "paper trail"), and I told them first and foremost that I believe they are responsible for what has happened here. If they want to hassle with UPS about who ultimately foots the bill that's their prerogative, but it's up to THEM to make things right, and quickly. What I don't want is a long delay while each of these companies "investigates" and tries to point the finger at the other.

I also told them that they really need to consider the wider implications of how they handle cases like this, since if customers generally start having doubts about whether a package ordered from J & R will arrive intact, this will really damage their reputation and their bottom line. Whether or not I ever do business with them is certainly on the line here.

Meanwhile, I've contacted my credit card company to inquire about disputing the charge on the iPod. They tell me I have to exhaust the process with J & R and UPS before they will take action of their own. There is a 60-day limit overall from the time the item "appears on a bill" from them.

It's pretty obvious to me that this amazing spate of reported thefts from J & R shipments is not just a matter of coincidence or happenstance. Something is going on there, and they had better take some drastic steps to nip this little mini-trend in the bud or their business will truly suffer.

Aug 26, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #35 of 95
Yeah, you can bet it's not likely UPS. I'm in the distribution business and have shipped hundreds of packages per week with them for years, and I can count on one hand the number of times they've screwed something up. Unfortunately companies try to shift blame to the carrier when they drop the ball.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 26, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #36 of 95
This is ridiculous. The first thing J&R should be doing is sending out a replacement right away. Who cares where the problem is, J&R was supposed to get the goods to you and it didn't. Let them eat the cost and do the investigation on their own time. Escalate this to your cc's fraud department. We'll see what happens then.

Aug 26, 2006 at 8:05 AM Post #38 of 95
I too must put in a good word for J & R. The have never given me any problems with orders, they are fast and from everything I've seen do a great job in shipping and packaging.

It's tough to say exactly where this product loss occurs, as the greater number of people handle the package before it gets to you, the larger the investigation must be.

It could lie with Sennheiser. I work for a company that makes consumer electronics and very rarely the "packers" will get something wrong and there will be 2 power adaptors or a missing cable or missing product, etc.. It's extremely rare however, and we ship thousands upon thousands of products per month. Once the box is sealed up and put into its crate for shipping along with a few hundred of its closest serial number buddies, it is essentially "lost" among a thousand good boxes. It will go on some store shelf someplace, and sooner or later we will get a call about it.

In your case there are the added hands of UPS. To me this sounds highly unlikely though. I just hope you get it all resolved, and it sounds like J&R is doing everything right to help you in this situation. They are shipping a new pair overnight, thats pretty good when you think about it. If you sold to someone on ebay and they claimed not to get them, would you do the same?
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2006 at 9:24 AM Post #39 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by creyc
I too must put in a good word for J & R. The have never given me any problems with orders, they are fast and from everything I've seen do a great job in shipping and packaging.

It's tough to say exactly where this product loss occurs, as the greater number of people handle the package before it gets to you, the larger the investigation must be.

It could lie with Sennheiser. I work for a company that makes consumer electronics and very rarely the "packers" will get something wrong and there will be 2 power adaptors or a missing cable or missing product, etc.. It's extremely rare however, and we ship thousands upon thousands of products per month. Once the box is sealed up and put into its crate for shipping along with a few hundred of its closest serial number buddies, it is essentially "lost" among a thousand good boxes. It will go on some store shelf someplace, and sooner or later we will get a call about it.

In your case there are the added hands of UPS. To me this sounds highly unlikely though. I just hope you get it all resolved, and it sounds like J&R is doing everything right to help you in this situation. They are shipping a new pair overnight, thats pretty good when you think about it. If you sold to someone on ebay and they claimed not to get them, would you do the same?
biggrin.gif

I personally have never shopped at J&R, so perhaps they are a great company to work with. But I have to add a comment to your post. In these specific cases, there has been an investigation before the problem has been corrected. In my opinion, if they are trying make the best for their paying customers, the replacement headphones should have been shipped out first, and the investigation taken place after the consumer is happy. And also none of this pointing fingers. A mistake has been made, and the end customers needs must be met first. If it were me, I would be interested in the investigation, but it shouldn't come in the way of my product. I have nothing against you and your post, just thought I would give my two cents of the thing.

Keep us posted. Hope you get things worked out.

Aug 26, 2006 at 11:13 AM Post #40 of 95
I got a tracking # in my E-mail this morning. My 650 are in PHILA and will be delivered on MONDAY. This is about one week later after I got the empty box from J&R.

This has really taken the fun out of buying new headphones. I had all kinds of thoughts on this problem. Being an extremist this has easily become an extrema problem for me.

I am going to use my 595 allot this weekend to get a good feeling of the sound with them so MONDAY I will see how the 650 compares to them.

I am hoping that they will be far better and I will com pair the sound of the 650 to my now old 701 that was just fantastic sounding in my system. If the 650 is even close to the 701 sound I will be very happy and the 650 comfort will then be of the final test to see if I can live with their comfort.

The problem I had with the 701 was the very big ear cups that I just couldn't live with in my lounge chair. The 650 having narrower ear cups might just be fine for my use. I hope.

Aug 26, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #41 of 95
Since there is also a report of a missing iPod on this thread, it is unlikely that the problem lays with Sennheiser. It looks more like a case of "long fingers" within the company.

Also, I don't think that J&R should mail out the headphones BEFORE the investigation took place, otherwise J&R could receive a number of "Missing headphone" calls from people, who would like to take advatage of such policy for their own profit.

Aug 26, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #42 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt. Z
Also, I don't think that J&R should mail out the headphones BEFORE the investigation took place, otherwise J&R could receive a number of "Missing headphone" calls from people, who would like to take advatage of such policy for their own profit.

I see, so make the consumer prove he/she is right before sending another pair. Not exactly a good policy, to me.

Aug 26, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #43 of 95
Hey Monkey;

Try to see th whole thing from the vendor side also, before you come up with some unreasonable demands.

Besides, I did not say that the buyer has to prove that there is a problem.

Just give the vondor a chance to verify a few things before he rectifies the problem. That's a very basic business procedure.

Aug 26, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #44 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
I see, so make the consumer prove he/she is right before sending another pair. Not exactly a good policy, to me.

On the other hand, I don't believe they should just ship out replacement products just because the customer says "the product is missing". They should do *some* due diligence first because the amount of fraud out there.

I think a week's delay in getting out a replacement HD650 is reasonable. But they should give some extra gift certificates to the inconvenienced customer as a goodwill gesture.

Aug 26, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #45 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ3810
If your order was shipped UPS your packaged should have been weighed. Then it's an open & shut case. In any event, J&R will do the right thing. Mix up may have occurred at Sennheiser.

One problem is that the weights entered in their UPS Campusship system are previously entered in a database and are usually used in proof against the customer, but please do not let that happen.

Shrinkage like this occurs at every manufacturer and distributor (personal experience), so do not worry, but realize that J&R knows this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back