Just ordered the Matrix M Stage
Oct 13, 2010 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Jibbie

500+ Head-Fier
...to power my AKG K701, along with an Ibasso D4 DAC (which I already have).  Can't wait to hear how it sounds.  I'll post impressions soon.  

k701smile.gif

Oct 15, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 27
Very nice news. Especially when you are local!
smily_headphones1.gif
Look forward to impressions.

Quote:
...to power my AKG K701, along with an Ibasso D4 DAC (which I already have).  Can't wait to hear how it sounds.  I'll post impressions soon.  

k701smile.gif

Oct 16, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 27
Haha thanks.

Still haven't heard anything from the seller, but I assume its either because its the weekend, or its already shipped.

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 27
I ordered it last Wednesday, however I have yet to hear from the seller on eBay.  I'm hoping its already shipped.  Coolfungadget FWIR is a great seller and has always followed through, so I'm not worried.

Oct 19, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #7 of 27
I'm still thinking of ordering the M-Stage. If I do, I'm gonna use that very same setup, so be sure to post your expressions when you have it!
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #8 of 27
Will do 
L3000.gif

Still waiting on word from the seller, however.  I don't even know if it has shipped yet.

Oct 19, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 27
Just got the Tracking Number, and it is on its way.  I'm stoked!  Thanks Coolfungadget

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 27
very cool. I just got mine today and I think you'll very much like it. I posted my initial impressions over on the Matrix mstage thread in case anyone is interested. Very neutral amp....highs are a bit shrill at this point even on HD650s, but I hope burn-in will help it out. No more sennheiser veil!

I look forward towards hearing how the ibasso compares to the mstage...a built in hp out versus a dedicated one.

Oct 20, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #11 of 27
I noticed the highs mellowed out a good bit within the first few hours of use.

Oct 25, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #12 of 27
The Matrix M-Stage arrived this morning.  I've been listening to it for a few hours through my K701 and so far it sounds amazing.  Here are some initial impressions:

Its bigger than I expected.  Its long, thick, and built like a tank.  Very sturdy, well made product.  It runs a little warm, but so do a lot of electronics so thats not a big deal.

As far as sound goes, my AKGs sound better than they ever have.  The Matrix adds a great punch to the low end.  All of my EDM songs slam a bit better, and the bass extension is much more impressive.  I'm hearing bass lines that I didn't hear before because the K701 wasn't getting enough power.  Songs that I also thought were sibilant are no longer so, and the entire spectrum of sound seems much more refined.  Soundstage has opened up a bit, providing more depth than the headphones originally did.

So far, I'm loving this amp.  I have no regrets choosing this for my first amp, and my AKG K701 sound better than they ever have.  In another review, someone stated that the Matrix makes the K701 "come alive" and that describes this pairing perfectly.

After some more extensively listening, I may write another extended set of impressions in a new thread.
Thanks Head-fi, for pushing me towards the audiophile path.

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #13 of 27

Quote:
The Matrix M-Stage arrived this morning.  I've been listening to it for a few hours through my K701 and so far it sounds amazing.  Here are some initial impressions:

Its bigger than I expected.  Its long, thick, and built like a tank.  Very sturdy, well made product.  It runs a little warm, but so do a lot of electronics so thats not a big deal.

As far as sound goes, my AKGs sound better than they ever have.  The Matrix adds a great punch to the low end.  All of my EDM songs slam a bit better, and the bass extension is much more impressive.  I'm hearing bass lines that I didn't hear before because the K701 wasn't getting enough power.  Songs that I also thought were sibilant are no longer so, and the entire spectrum of sound seems much more refined.  Soundstage has opened up a bit, providing more depth than the headphones originally did.

So far, I'm loving this amp.  I have no regrets choosing this for my first amp, and my AKG K701 sound better than they ever have.  In another review, someone stated that the Matrix makes the K701 "come alive" and that describes this pairing perfectly.

After some more extensively listening, I may write another extended set of impressions in a new thread.
Thanks Head-fi, for pushing me towards the audiophile path.

It super with any headphone I tried it with  when I owned it. The 701 went up to another level as did the the D7000 also worked well with my T1

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #14 of 27
I'm glad to hear it.  I'm considering getting the DT990 600 ohm, and its nice to know that it works with high impedance headphones.  I'm assuming I just up the gain to 18 or 20db and then I'm set.  It is truly a great amp, and I don't see myself upgrading for quite a while (that goes for my D4 DAC as well).  Now, if I could just decide between the DT990 and the Ultrasone Pro 900 for some bassy headphones, I'll be set

Quote:

It super with any headphone I tried it with  when I owned it. The 701 went up to another level as did the the D7000 also worked well with my T1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back