Just Ordered Shure Black Foam Sleeves
Mar 20, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #121 of 193
Hello
smily_headphones1.gif

Many people have used these with ER-4S from Ety? They fit? I saw in another thread someone said that they (the soft flex tips) would come off in his ear canals! Has this happened for anyone else using these with Ety ER-4s?

Mar 20, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #122 of 193
I would also like to know how well they fit on Etymotic er4ps. I'm a happy owner of a new pair of Etys. They were ordered along with Comply tips but I realize their longevity may not as good as I had originally hoped especially for the price. It would also be helpful if anyone had a size and fit comparison between the new Shure foams and regular and short Comply tips. Thanks
etysmile.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #123 of 193
My yellow foamies lasted two weeks before they stopped expanding back to full size.

How long do these new ones last before they stay permanently compressed?

Thanks

Mar 20, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #124 of 193
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsmr2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My yellow foamies lasted two weeks before they stopped expanding back to full size.

Thanks

In theory, a VERY long time.

Mar 20, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #125 of 193
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In theory, a VERY long time.

Sounds good, thanks.

Just trying to work out how many I need to order - once I've decided on the correct size.

Mar 20, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #126 of 193
I bought complys for my pair of e4c a while ago, but I felt that these tips made the headphones stick out of my ear more (i.e. the tips did not sit as close to the body of the ear phone as did the yellow foamies).

Do these black tips suffer from the same problem, or do they seat closely to the headphone?

Off-Topic: Why doesn't shure have these for sale yet?

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #127 of 193
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I put mediums on my JVC Marshmallows and my JBL Reference 220's a few days ago

So how does a medium - AFTER you get it installed on the Marshmallow - compare in size to the stock JVC tips? The stock tips fit me reasonably well - maybe just a bit small. The Shure black soft flexes in medium fit nicely and seem to seal well. (I'd just stick with them except for the poor isolation.) I guess I'm just wondering how much larger the new black olives get as a result of being forced to fit over those big JVC nozzles. Think I should go for the mediums?

Thanks

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #128 of 193
The stock tips are about the same size as the body while the medium black foamies are a bit larger than the body. They look more rounded than the stock tips and not quite as long. The foam itself is much softer, though. I can easily squish the black foamies down with my fingers and feel the tube but it takes much more force to squeeze the stock tips enough to feel the tube. I don't think I can insert them quite as far as stock but it's not a huge difference.

WooHoo! ! ! I finally figured out how to add pix! (dang, I'm smart)

plugandawl.jpg

plugonawl.jpg

plugonpen.jpg

plugsinstalled.jpg

marshmallows.jpg

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #130 of 193
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsmr2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks

I had received a trial pair from Shure back in December...and they are still good as new.

My initial issue was that the yellow foamies were much too small for my ears..so I asked Shure if there was a solution...which they offered me the new olive foamies for trial....

As far as fit and comfort is concerned ..they have completely satisfied me.

HOWEVER...as far as sound effect...I find the new foamies put a veil on, and that is exactly what I reported to Shure.

So I'm back to the grey flex silicon for those times where I really want to hear the music..

Mar 22, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #131 of 193
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowrbazzle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cooter -

Thanks! Those are great photos! They give me exactly the info I was looking for. And I just happen to have an identical awl sitting out in the garage....

No problem. (once I figured out how to post the pix)

After I pulled the tips off the awl I pushed them onto the end of the pen to flare them a bit which made them MUCH easier to get started over the large tubes.

I used regular yellow foamies before I got the new black ones and I used a similar procedure on those. The yellow foamies worked pretty well, too, but I'm hoping the blacks will last longer.

Mar 22, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #132 of 193
any retailers in canada that sell these tips and have free shipping lol

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #133 of 193
My mediums were too big, so I modded them with a razor. Trimmed the thickest part a bit, and now they're perfect. No more pain
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #134 of 193
Small package came in the mail from Shure in Hong Kong.... Can't say enough good things about Shure, from a customer service standpoint.

Loving the smaller size (the large size is pictured so they look a bit bigger). Great comfort. I've been using the Shure soft flex sleeves on my Ety ER6i's and loving them and from my initial listening.

The black foam sleeves are as comfortable and certainly isolate more, though the seal is slightly harder to get - it could be because I've never used foam tips before. Bass is slightly improved on the Etys and, if anything, sounds tighter.

Definitely hard to get on, due the the very small diameter of the sleeve holes. Taking them off should be done with care as when I just pulled them off I pulled out the Ety wax guard at the same time - word of caution.

I'll have to give these some more time, but definitely a step up, for me, from the standard Ety flanges. Jury still out on the performance compared to the soft flex sleeves, but looks very promising.

Soft Flex

IMG_2828Small.jpg

New black foams

IMG_2841Small.jpg

IMG_2832Small.jpg

Mar 29, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #135 of 193
"I use the small soft flexes and the medium black foam sleeves fit perfectly and comfortably."

Buddha911: Fit which brand/model of earphones? Shures?

When you wrote "fit" were you referring to fitting in your ears? (I would suppose so.) A point of interest for many people is whether the new foamies will fit on their current brand/model of earphone ...

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back