just got my grado sr125, and im kinda worried
Jan 9, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #16 of 23
well i dont have access to a quality amp. but i would be willing to buy one if it was cheap and made a big difference.  but my problem is that i need it to have a dac as well because all of my music is on my computer.
also how would i do any of the other mods? like the dampening? would the dampening fix my issue or does it do somthing else?
also i kinda like the button, does it influence the sound that much?

Jan 9, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #17 of 23
The mods really do make more difference than you would think. I was very surprised. Like Bilavideo said...I think that by bringing up the bass some (vent mod), you will even out the sound making the highs not seem quite as high. Of course you can also do some careful EQing and that can help a lot. A warm amp is what I found to be the best. I cannot listen to my Grados straight out of the computer or iPod. I have mine powered by a hybrid tube amp with warm tubes. It really cuts the highs and makes them mellow rich, but still in yo face....which is what Grado is all about. Many say an amp is not needed with Grados...technically that is true...they are not hard headphones to drive. However to really get the most out of them, especially the bass, the drivers need some juice to get moving and thus an amp is needed. 

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #18 of 23
ok then. ill try some mods, but what should i try first? that will probably do the most?

and im probably never going to find a tube amp with a dac under 200 am i lol.

i guess  how much am i looking at to get something like that.
desk space isnt a concern lol. 

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #19 of 23
I removed the button and plastic ring first (yours won't have the ring) and there was a very noticeable improvement in clarity and openness. Not much improvement in sound stage...maybe a tiny bit...but separation improved some. After that I did the vent mod and it was a pretty huge improvement in bass. I did four holes to start and that is all I really need. I got some buzzing but I think that was partly from getting some of the felt in the driver and the increased base was causing some vibrations. I blew in to the drivers trying to get whatever was in there out, and added some adhesive felt discs and the buzzing pretty much went away. Changed that out today for some Dynamat and the buzz is 100% gone.

As far as the amp and DAC...you may very well be able to for $200 or less. You can grab a Little Dot 1+ new for $150 but they sell used for a bit less than that (one for $135 shipped in the FS now). It is a great Grado amp IMO. 

The DAC...I am certain there are a number of really decent budget DACs for <$100. The uDAC is highly recommend around here and runs about $100 (uDAC2 in FS for $95 shipped).

Jan 9, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #20 of 23
ok cool, i was actualy looking at the little dots  is it worth it to get the upgraded tubes?

also im looking at my 125s and i have no idea how to do the venting mod.  am i supposed to poke a hole through the mesh like thing with a center hole, an inner ring of holes and an outer ring of holes? or am i missing somthing?

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #21 of 23
I bought a month ago the sr125 and i drive it with my vintage amp  (pioneer) and the result was the same you complain about. Sound really bright and harsh. So people tell me that my amp had a high impedance for the headphones and that's not good for grado who has low impedance.(32ohm). Now i'm searching an amp for the grado who can drive also other headphones.

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #22 of 23

Quote:
My PS1000s, which were supposed to be "a bit dark" in Grado circles, sounded sibilant on my Yamaha "Natural Sound" RXV363 receiver.  Apart from the audio flaws of the Yamaha, the sound mix coming out of the headphone jack is just sibilant.

Sibilance can be described as an excess of treble.  Sound should be balanced between highs and lows.  Too much in one area can create a perceived deficit in another.  After all, how much treble is too much?  How much is enough?  It's all relative to what's happening on the other end of the spectrum.  I've heard tweeters that sounded like a little much, but not nearly so when the bass was cranked up.  I've also heard woofers that sounded muddy - until the treble was brought up.  It's not some objective amount that pains or pleases us, though too much is always too much and too little is always too little.  We are far more sensitive to the mix.

My GS1000s were sibilant, something I attributed to the G-Cush "jumbo" pads.  I got all kinds of advice from people telling me to wash them, flatten them, even freeze them or put them in the dryer.  I ended up slicing them back a few millimeters to fix the problem.  But later, when buying a second pair, to compare these "modded" jumbos with the originals with their sound off an M^3 with a variable bass boost, I came to realize that the problem was not the pads.  When paired with a strong amp, the GS1000 was the only Grado (at the time) to sound open and free when the bass boost was cranked up.  It takes a certain airflow to get good bass from Grados.  One way to get it is to amp with a strong amp, particularly one with bass boost.

Another way to get there is to vent the driver backs, essentially airing them out so they allow the back wave to freely pass through the holes in the plastic blasket.  I've done this on Grados up and down the product line (Grado does this on the GS1000 and PS1000).  It really beefs up the bass - but from an open perspective.  Vented drivers don't sound bloated or veiled; they do, however, sound full, something you may not have experienced with your SR125s on their own.

I do this mod with a ballpoint pen.  Take the back off, find the ring of ten holes that circle the driver.  Find four good spots (more if you like) and poke through the soft fabric on the driver back.  This will increase the volume of the air chamber, which was largely kept out of the loop when those vents were closed or, at best, semi-permeable.  Use a ballpoint pen because the rest of the pen will be too big for the hole, allowing you to stop before you puncture a driver.

I'd bet you even money that your SR125 will send 100% better vented.  If you don't believe me, vent them and find out.  Of course, while you have the hood up, why not damp the magnet back, eliminate the button and eliminate the plastic rear grill.  And if that isn't enough, remove the grill cloth.  Sometimes, less is more.

I just wanted to say thank you. I don't know what it is, but I absolutely love your posts. I have learned quite a bit reading your posts and I just wanted to let you know that. Thanks for being a good Head-Fier!

Thanks!  I appreciate the kind word.  I'm glad to throw in my two cents because I always get more back when someone has something I can use.  I just got a great tutorial on Dynamat application.  I went reading through an old thread and Nickchen (spelling?) tutored me on something else.  I think it's impossible to hang out here without coming away with news you can use.

I attest to this. I was not having any issues with my SR325's but I went ahead and tried these mods anyways. Even though I was very happy before...I am VERY, VERY happy now. The mods works. Period. Now that's not to say it will be your taste in sound...but the mods do exactly what they are suppose to do. And they are easy, and reversible. 

I don't know how long it took me to start modding.  A lot of inspiration came from folks who were early pioneers.  Some of that was about look and feel - like giving the shells a nicer look or swapping out the vinyl headband for leather.  But even in the old threads, there were people who were talking about recabling, removing the plastic grills and buttons, and damping the magnet backs.  This discussion just stirred my blood, and now, with the SR60 Mod threat, I see a renewed excitement over taking the Grados where no Grado has ever been before.  It's really exciting.  There's a lot of experience and creativity doing great things in cyberspace.

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #23 of 23
The holes you want to vent are the larger holes circling the magnet. You can see how there is a mesh covering the holes in the photo. You want to poke something through the holes to open them up. It is suggested to use a ballpoint pen to prevent over penetrating and hitting the driver. I took it a step further and used some fine tipped tweezers and poked the holes, then proceeded to removed the material so that the holes are completely unobstructed. I started with four holes and stopped with four holes because it gave me enough boost in bass that I was happy. Many go with venting all ten holes and report being very happy. 

Quote:
ok cool, i was actualy looking at the little dots  is it worth it to get the upgraded tubes?

also im looking at my 125s and i have no idea how to do the venting mod.  am i supposed to poke a hole through the mesh like thing with a center hole, an inner ring of holes and an outer ring of holes? or am i missing somthing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back