just got my grado sr125, and im kinda worried
Jan 8, 2011 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

deadpixel11

New Head-Fier
so as the topic states, i just got a pair of grado sr 125's but i hooked them up into my setup and its really distracting. any kind of s sound is highly emphasized. i was listening to "keep the car running" by arcade fire, and it was just awful.  please tell me im doing somthing wrong.
my setup is:
foobar>digital coax>older sony reciever> grado sr125

i dont eq in foobar and as far as i know the eq on the reciever is just like +1 or 2 on bass cause my last pair were hd280pros

also in some songs the vocals sound very pronounced (aside from the horrible s sound) and in other songs the vocals tend to feel like theyre back farther and less focused.

any insight as to what my issue is would be very much appreciated.

Jan 8, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 23

Quote:
so as the topic states, i just got a pair of grado sr 125's but i hooked them up into my setup and its really distracting. any kind of s sound is highly emphasized. i was listening to "keep the car running" by arcade fire, and it was just awful.  please tell me im doing somthing wrong.
my setup is:
foobar>digital coax>older sony reciever> grado sr125

i dont eq in foobar and as far as i know the eq on the reciever is just like +1 or 2 on bass cause my last pair were hd280pros

also in some songs the vocals sound very pronounced (aside from the horrible s sound) and in other songs the vocals tend to feel like theyre back farther and less focused.

any insight as to what my issue is would be very much appreciated.

They might be too bright for your liking. I haven't heard a pair of sr125s, but they are said to be rather bright sounding headphones. Also I believe that horrible s sound you are referring to is sibilance.  

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #5 of 23

Quote:
oh. ok well is there anything i can do to counteract that?  a mod? an eq setting?

You can EQ them, but they will still maintain the same sound signature. They will more than likely always be bright.

Keep two things in mind, however. First, if you just got them, give 'em time to burn in. They might not sound as bright in as little as 50 hours (thats how long it took my sr80i to get to that perfect, money spot 
biggrin.gif
). Also, be careful when EQing. If not done properly, it can distort the sound and make things worse than they were before. My honest suggestion, give them a little while before selling them, or returning them (as long as you can return them?).

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #6 of 23
If I might suggest....try them out on something else. That is see if you can find  a friend with a nice dedicated headphone amp or even just compare them to an iPod or similar.

I may be mistaken but a lot of recievers were, I believe intended for higher impedance phones. And even at that most of them aren't known for really good output on the headphones section. I think a lot of them just slap some resistors on the same output stage as the speaker outs. Again, I could be wrong but that's the impression I get.

My experience was that my Grado's (sr125i's) sounded like complete crap on my vintage Hitachi integrated amp (SolidState), which is a very nice sounding amp thru speakers. Had lots of the worst characteristics of Solid State signature combined with Grado tendency for being a little bright....bad combination. But I love my 125's on my AMB mini^3 portable amp and also on my tube amp.

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #7 of 23
My PS1000s, which were supposed to be "a bit dark" in Grado circles, sounded sibilant on my Yamaha "Natural Sound" RXV363 receiver.  Apart from the audio flaws of the Yamaha, the sound mix coming out of the headphone jack is just sibilant.

Sibilance can be described as an excess of treble.  Sound should be balanced between highs and lows.  Too much in one area can create a perceived deficit in another.  After all, how much treble is too much?  How much is enough?  It's all relative to what's happening on the other end of the spectrum.  I've heard tweeters that sounded like a little much, but not nearly so when the bass was cranked up.  I've also heard woofers that sounded muddy - until the treble was brought up.  It's not some objective amount that pains or pleases us, though too much is always too much and too little is always too little.  We are far more sensitive to the mix.

My GS1000s were sibilant, something I attributed to the G-Cush "jumbo" pads.  I got all kinds of advice from people telling me to wash them, flatten them, even freeze them or put them in the dryer.  I ended up slicing them back a few millimeters to fix the problem.  But later, when buying a second pair, to compare these "modded" jumbos with the originals with their sound off an M^3 with a variable bass boost, I came to realize that the problem was not the pads.  When paired with a strong amp, the GS1000 was the only Grado (at the time) to sound open and free when the bass boost was cranked up.  It takes a certain airflow to get good bass from Grados.  One way to get it is to amp with a strong amp, particularly one with bass boost.

Another way to get there is to vent the driver backs, essentially airing them out so they allow the back wave to freely pass through the holes in the plastic blasket.  I've done this on Grados up and down the product line (Grado does this on the GS1000 and PS1000).  It really beefs up the bass - but from an open perspective.  Vented drivers don't sound bloated or veiled; they do, however, sound full, something you may not have experienced with your SR125s on their own.

I do this mod with a ballpoint pen.  Take the back off, find the ring of ten holes that circle the driver.  Find four good spots (more if you like) and poke through the soft fabric on the driver back.  This will increase the volume of the air chamber, which was largely kept out of the loop when those vents were closed or, at best, semi-permeable.  Use a ballpoint pen because the rest of the pen will be too big for the hole, allowing you to stop before you puncture a driver.

I'd bet you even money that your SR125 will send 100% better vented.  If you don't believe me, vent them and find out.  Of course, while you have the hood up, why not damp the magnet back, eliminate the button and eliminate the plastic rear grill.  And if that isn't enough, remove the grill cloth.  Sometimes, less is more.

Jan 8, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #8 of 23
Grado headphones need some time just let them play for a few days at a kind of high volume. You can also try some of the mods listed on the forum, but I would let them burn in first.

Jan 8, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
My PS1000s, which were supposed to be "a bit dark" in Grado circles, sounded sibilant on my Yamaha "Natural Sound" RXV363 receiver.  Apart from the audio flaws of the Yamaha, the sound mix coming out of the headphone jack is just sibilant.

Sibilance can be described as an excess of treble.  Sound should be balanced between highs and lows.  Too much in one area can create a perceived deficit in another.  After all, how much treble is too much?  How much is enough?  It's all relative to what's happening on the other end of the spectrum.  I've heard tweeters that sounded like a little much, but not nearly so when the bass was cranked up.  I've also heard woofers that sounded muddy - until the treble was brought up.  It's not some objective amount that pains or pleases us, though too much is always too much and too little is always too little.  We are far more sensitive to the mix.

My GS1000s were sibilant, something I attributed to the G-Cush "jumbo" pads.  I got all kinds of advice from people telling me to wash them, flatten them, even freeze them or put them in the dryer.  I ended up slicing them back a few millimeters to fix the problem.  But later, when buying a second pair, to compare these "modded" jumbos with the originals with their sound off an M^3 with a variable bass boost, I came to realize that the problem was not the pads.  When paired with a strong amp, the GS1000 was the only Grado (at the time) to sound open and free when the bass boost was cranked up.  It takes a certain airflow to get good bass from Grados.  One way to get it is to amp with a strong amp, particularly one with bass boost.

Another way to get there is to vent the driver backs, essentially airing them out so they allow the back wave to freely pass through the holes in the plastic blasket.  I've done this on Grados up and down the product line (Grado does this on the GS1000 and PS1000).  It really beefs up the bass - but from an open perspective.  Vented drivers don't sound bloated or veiled; they do, however, sound full, something you may not have experienced with your SR125s on their own.

I do this mod with a ballpoint pen.  Take the back off, find the ring of ten holes that circle the driver.  Find four good spots (more if you like) and poke through the soft fabric on the driver back.  This will increase the volume of the air chamber, which was largely kept out of the loop when those vents were closed or, at best, semi-permeable.  Use a ballpoint pen because the rest of the pen will be too big for the hole, allowing you to stop before you puncture a driver.

I'd bet you even money that your SR125 will send 100% better vented.  If you don't believe me, vent them and find out.  Of course, while you have the hood up, why not damp the magnet back, eliminate the button and eliminate the plastic rear grill.  And if that isn't enough, remove the grill cloth.  Sometimes, less is more.

I just wanted to say thank you. I don't know what it is, but I absolutely love your posts. I have learned quite a bit reading your posts and I just wanted to let you know that. Thanks for being a good Head-Fier!

Jan 8, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #10 of 23
I attest to this. I was not having any issues with my SR325's but I went ahead and tried these mods anyways. Even though I was very happy before...I am VERY, VERY happy now. The mods works. Period. Now that's not to say it will be your taste in sound...but the mods do exactly what they are suppose to do. And they are easy, and reversible. 

Quote:

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #11 of 23

Quote:
I attest to this. I was not having any issues with my SR325's but I went ahead and tried these mods anyways. Even though I was very happy before...I am VERY, VERY happy now. The mods works. Period. Now that's not to say it will be your taste in sound...but the mods do exactly what they are suppose to do. And they are easy, and reversible. 

Quote:

AAH, what happens if you don't like the vented sound, where would you find a replacement for the mesh?

James

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #13 of 23
Now that I do not know. I expressed some concern initially to Bill after I did the vent mod because I was getting some buzzing and I was asking about reversing the mod thinking perhaps the bass was too much causing the vibration. He said that someone had reversed it by simply gluing new mesh on...but did not say where it came from. The buzzing ended up being a combination of the driver/magnet vibrating and something (probably a little of the mesh) falling down in the vented holes. Some felt and some gentle blowing into the driver seems to have cleared things up.

Quote:
AAH, what happens if you don't like the vented sound, where would you find a replacement for the mesh?

James

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #14 of 23

Quote:
Now that I do not know. I expressed some concern initially to Bill after I did the vent mod because I was getting some buzzing and I was asking about reversing the mod thinking perhaps the bass was too much causing the vibration. He said that someone had reversed it by simply gluing new mesh on...but did not say where it came from. The buzzing ended up being a combination of the driver/magnet vibrating and something (probably a little of the mesh) falling down in the vented holes. Some felt and some gentle blowing into the driver seems to have cleared things up.

Quote:

James

IDK...window screen?

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #15 of 23
No...it's like a felt mesh. Very fibrous. Kinda reminds me of the stuff on the bottom of a sofa when you flip it over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back