Just got my AKG K702s and Valhalla. Headphones sound like crap..... grr...
Jan 7, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #16 of 37

Doesn't sound right. K702's bass should be lean, but also extremely clean. If it's distorting, I'd RMA asap.

Totally agree - if you are getting actual distortion, you should RMA the K702.

Jan 7, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #17 of 37
Who told this guy to buy a K702 with an OTL tube amplifier? Step forward and be publicly shamed, whoever you are.

Jan 7, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #18 of 37
Yeah, it doesn't seem like the ideal pairing, although I have read about other people liking the combination. I like the Valhalla, but I used it mostly with high-impedance headphones, nothing like the K702.

Jan 7, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #19 of 37
Seems rather foolhardy to me, and "weak distorted bass" is one of the tell-tale symptoms I would expect with an underpowered K701

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #20 of 37
I don't like my K701 either but I never experience any kind of distortion. My first suspicion would be a defective headphone.

Would an OTL tube amp cause distortion on the K701?
Try another amp if you have any or maybe even your sound card.

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #21 of 37
Sounds like the output impedance of the amp is higher than the impedance of the headphones. Distorted bass is a classic example of a bad impedance match.

If the drivers were damaged or defective, you'd hear it in the mids and highs, not just the bass.

You need to try a different amp, one that has a low output impedance. Solid state has low output impedance and so do transformer-coupled tube amps. The only commercially available OTL with good low impedance output is the Zana Deux. That's due to the unique characterisics of the 6C33C tube it uses.

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #22 of 37
I returned mine after three weeks. It's not for me.

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #24 of 37

Quote:
I spoke with Jason @ Schiit, and he said i need to run these for about a week or so straight, to break them in, with the volume knob around the 11:00-12:00 position....

I plug my ATH A700's into the Valhalla, and they sound AMAZING turned up about the 2/3 position on the amp. No distortion at all...

the K702's sound like complete crud at that volume level.... Will breaking them in fix this? because I'm extremely unimpressed. To the point of sending them back.

Hey Daggoth, I know you said you were gonna tell me how the k702's are. Can you take plenty of pictureS?

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #25 of 37
Isn't the Valhalla a OTL design? If it is then that's the problem.

See the OTL designs have a high output impedance which will be roughly the close to the same impedance of the K701 or even higher. If it's higher you will get a muddied, congested sound with bloated bass. Also OTL amps have a high voltage swing with very little current output. The K701 needs a ton of current and a decent voltage swing to sound it's best.

IMO the Asgard would be best out of those two for the K701 as it is a fairly powerful solid state design.

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #26 of 37
You should probably return the K702 - I don't think the bass is going to improve much for you, even after burn-in. You probably just don't like the sound signature. I'd trade them for the HD650.

That being said, it's possible they are defective, as I don't think they should be distorting.

And another "that being said", I very much enjoy my K702, and consider them a good upgrade from the AD700 (the open ear version, which doesn't have that much bass either). I can see why people don't like them, but for hearing orchestral nuances, they're pretty darn good.

Jan 8, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #27 of 37

Quote:
sorry... okay.... the highs and the mids sound decent, but the bass distorts pretty bad. i mean, these headphones have no bass... at all... i mean, i love bass, but i wasn't looking for a heavy bass headphone. these were twice the price of my ath's, so i figured it would have at least the ammount of bass they do, if not more. but what I'm getting, literally, my iphone ear buds have just as much bass if not better. honest.. another thing, with my a700s, with the amp at the 12 o'clock position, they are louder then the 702s.

but my a700s sound better all around right now on this amp. mids, higs, lows (are much better)

From the way you're describing it, you're making it sound like there isn't distortion, just a lack of bass. Distortion will create a crackling static sound, incredibly annoying and that will not change (probably a defect or an amp mismatch, don't waste time trying to "burn in"). But as a few noted, the K70x headphones do not have a notable bass... They're universally known for having a very light bass and the bass won't magically get more pronounced with burn in.

If there is distortion, RMA or exchange. If the bass is just too light for your liking, exchange them for those HD650s you were looking at.

Or if you're feeling generous, return them, send me the money and I'll buy sandwiches to donate to the hungry (AKA me).

Jan 8, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #28 of 37

Quote:
sorry... okay.... the highs and the mids sound decent, but the bass distorts pretty bad. i mean, these headphones have no bass... at all... i mean, i love bass, but i wasn't looking for a heavy bass headphone. these were twice the price of my ath's, so i figured it would have at least the ammount of bass they do, if not more. but what I'm getting, literally, my iphone ear buds have just as much bass if not better. honest.. another thing, with my a700s, with the amp at the 12 o'clock position, they are louder then the 702s.

but my a700s sound better all around right now on this amp. mids, higs, lows (are much better)

Buy a boombox.
tongue_smile.gif

The K-702 has exceptional bass, if you ask me.

Jan 8, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #29 of 37
Too many people seem to be obsessed with boom boom boom thud thump bass.But try a complex Beethoven Piano concerto and you will hear how the lower registers of the piano sound on the K-702. Very well controlled and pitch accurate ... that is what good bass is all about as opposed to BASS.

Jan 8, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #30 of 37
Which is all well and good, but had nothing to do with his issue, which is hearing bass distortion. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back