Just got a pair of SENHEISSER HD 598s - A few questions
Jun 15, 2011 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

Amnesiac1

Head-Fier

I have never owned a pair of premium headphones before so I figured I should stop by here and ask a few questions. Please note, I will be using the 598 on my MacBook Pro and a new iMac on its own (without an amp).

1. What are the chances of 'blowing' these headphones? That is, playing them so loudly that I will damage them, compromise their quality, etc.? I've done this before with much, much cheaper headphones (i.e., 30 dollar headphones) by playing music on them way too loud.

2. Is there anything I should do, pick up, or know before taking them out of the box and plugging them in? Anything extra I should buy? Or are these good to go, so to speak, right out of the box? I'm not planning on buying an amp anytime soon.

3. Do these headphones simulate 5.1, 7.1, or surround sound of any kind while watching films?

Thanks in advance.

Jun 15, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 66
I don't think you'll have to worry about blowing these if you're just using them on an MBP or iMac.

I'm pretty sure you can just plug 'em in and enjoy. Someone has posted previously that they hated the sound of the 598 un-amped but I haven't heard much of a difference between running it directly from my Mac Pro's headphone jack or through my amp/dac besides having to bump up the volume when unamped.

Jun 15, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 66
Cool. Thanks for the reply! I would appreciate any further replies to my questions, as well.

So, should I feel safe cranking the volume up to the max level on my MacBook Pro and/or iMac? I'm assuming the 598s can withstand a lot, but then again, I'm not entirely sure...

Jun 15, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 66
1. Don't force yourself to listen to loud music. Find a good volume medium you will enjoy without making your ears bleed and keeping the music listenable. The HD-598 souldn't have a problem but the driver could warp after extended high volume use. If you were worried about this, you should have bought like Fostex T50RP. They will take anything you can throw at them

2. Go pick up a http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Organization/Rubbermaid/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1anZas7e/R-100387753/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 to store you headphones on. Just tilt the rack where the silicone front is the bottom and place headphones on. I use one, I love it.

3. I'm not too sure about the HD-598, I haven't got mine yet but they probably need an amp. So go out and get a Am/FM receiver from a second hand store like Goodwill. Get a 3.5mm to rca jack to plug you laptop to and then use the headphone jack in the front to listen from. This will be about $20-25 and will serve you well. Or you can get a FiiO e7 + e9 combo for $250

4. Yes, it's what a soundstage means. Unless you laptop's audio driver isn't set up to force all the channels out into the headphones jack, you won't have a problem.

You know what sucks, I've been telling people about these headphones and haven't got mine yet.....
angry_face.gif

Jun 15, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 66
I have two answers on the power handling of the HD598's: if the equipment you are amping the HD598 (in this case your macbook pro) has enough clean current and voltage output to drive the HD598's adequately, you should be fine on it.  Newer Mac's have enough current and voltage output to drive the HD598, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.  However, if your music is clipping digitally (if your music is MP3-based it probably has clipping present (as the volume is boosted when the conversion process occurs with MP3's) or if you listen to modern (within the last decade), high volume pop, rock, R&B, Rap, even Jazz and Classical produced by a major label like Sony/BMG, Universal, Time Warner, or even smaller labels such as Concord/Telarc, they may also have clipping present.  If that is the case, you can expect to hear audible crackling distortion with any headphone, especially at louder volumes, which is the fault of the recording, not the headphone.  The best way to avoid driver damage when listening to modern music that exhibits audible clipping, is to turn the volume down to a moderate level, or to switch to another track if the distortion is particularly grotesque.  For your ears' sake, keep the levels down on all your listening and you will be able to enjoy your new headphones much longer than if you listen to them full blast, which is VERY LOUD on the HD598.  the HD598 is relatively efficient and has a high level of power handling, so it can play very loud even at 1V RMS, relatively cleanly (112dB).  112 dB will make you go deaf very quickly. Keep the volume moderate most of the time, and let the music get louder naturally at normal climaxes in the music (if there is dynamic range in the recordings you listen to at least).  The HD598 is one of my favorite headphones, and works well with all genres of music I have played on it (I listen to almost everything), and I hope you enjoy yours.  Just keep the volume levels at safe levels for your own sake (as well as the headphones').

--Eric

Edit: I forgot to answer your question about surround simulation:  Unless you have special software that does so on a Mac, they don't simulate surround, but do present a very three-dimensional soundstage from two-channel music without it, as long as the music has natural reverberation and imaging present (or has a very realistic artificial reverberation called convolution reverb.). Most movies use a combination of the two even on their stereo mixdown tracks, so you will at least get a very realistic stereo recreation from the HD598. Also, a cord-style quarter inch female to mini male plug adapter would be a good item to get.  Grado makes a decent one that will work with the iMac and MacBook Pro.  The adapter that comes with the HD595 is a hard plug style one that will cause strain on the jacks of the apple computers you own (it happened to me before with an older Mac of mine).  The cord style adapter puts less strain on the jack and should last longer as well due to higher quality construction than the cheap adapter that comes with the HD598.

Jun 16, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 66
Thanks for the input, everyone. It's much, much appreciated. I've considered and value everything that has been said.

As always, any further input is appreciated. I'll be watching this thread.

Jun 17, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #10 of 66
HD598 won't blow under normal listening volumes, I can play them like loud speakers and they won't blow (not recommended though, seriously) Also, to me, I don't hear THAT BIG of a difference amped and unamped, unlike the other headphones I own. They sound excellent out of my laptop's headphone jack

Jun 17, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #11 of 66

Quote:

I have never owned a pair of premium headphones before so I figured I should stop by here and ask a few questions. Please note, I will be using the 598 on my MacBook Pro and a new iMac on its own (without an amp).

1. What are the chances of 'blowing' these headphones? That is, playing them so loudly that I will damage them, compromise their quality, etc.? I've done this before with much, much cheaper headphones (i.e., 30 dollar headphones) by playing music on them way too loud.

2. Is there anything I should do, pick up, or know before taking them out of the box and plugging them in? Anything extra I should buy? Or are these good to go, so to speak, right out of the box? I'm not planning on buying an amp anytime soon.

3. Do these headphones simulate 5.1, 7.1, or surround sound of any kind while watching films?

Thanks in advance.

From a macbook, the odds are small, i dont think it can go loud enough on a laptop to cause a problem.  However, I would worry about the adapter needed to fit into the 1/8  jack on your laptop.  The hd598 comes with a large 1/4 cable and you need to use the 1/8th adapter that comes with the set to be used on normal audio jacks.  It ends up being extremely long and heavy and could cause damage to your fragile audio jack on your laptop 

If you are on the go, I wouldnt recommend the hd598 or anything open.  If its to be used at home or something, then sure thats fine.  Otherwise you look like a radar dish and leak sound to everyone

it really does not simulate surround sound, this is absolute nonense if anyone says otherwise.  No head set that I am aware of can produce sound behind you, real 5.1 and 7.1 speakers are set up with one behind you so you get that effect.  :)   However, the 598 stage is very large and spacious, very fun and great for movies and gaming.

hope you enjoy them, I love mine.  Just bought an AKG K450 replacement cable in hopes of it fitting on the hd598 so i could sit outside without lugging a giant 10ft cable around, seems like the k450 replacement cable is identical to the stock 598 cable with that odd extended 2.5mm locking adapter on one end, and the other is a 3.5mm so i dont have to worry about using yet another adapter just to use on an mp3 player hehe.

*crosses fingers.

Also, about amping needs.  The HD598 sounds very good out of my sansa fuze, but the difference from just the fuze to a portable amp like my E11 is very noticeable, bigger stage, smoother bass, more tonal.  And the difference from the e11 to my E9 is yet larger, the stage is noticeably more deep and textured, the stage is definitely wider and separation is significantly better than just using an mp3 player.  Cant say how your laptop sounds without an amp, but know that an e11 is like 65 bucks and sounds great, and its very small.

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #12 of 66

Quote:

From a macbook, the odds are small, i dont think it can go loud enough on a laptop to cause a problem.  However, I would worry about the adapter needed to fit into the 1/8  jack on your laptop.  The hd598 comes with a large 1/4 cable and you need to use the 1/8th adapter that comes with the set to be used on normal audio jacks.  It ends up being extremely long and heavy and could cause damage to your fragile audio jack on your laptop 

If you are on the go, I wouldnt recommend the hd598 or anything open.  If its to be used at home or something, then sure thats fine.  Otherwise you look like a radar dish and leak sound to everyone

it really does not simulate surround sound, this is absolute nonense if anyone says otherwise.  No head set that I am aware of can produce sound behind you, real 5.1 and 7.1 speakers are set up with one behind you so you get that effect.  :)   However, the 598 stage is very large and spacious, very fun and great for movies and gaming.

hope you enjoy them, I love mine.  Just bought an AKG K450 replacement cable in hopes of it fitting on the hd598 so i could sit outside without lugging a giant 10ft cable around, seems like the k450 replacement cable is identical to the stock 598 cable with that odd extended 2.5mm locking adapter on one end, and the other is a 3.5mm so i dont have to worry about using yet another adapter just to use on an mp3 player hehe.

*crosses fingers.

Also, about amping needs.  The HD598 sounds very good out of my sansa fuze, but the difference from just the fuze to a portable amp like my E11 is very noticeable, bigger stage, smoother bass, more tonal.  And the difference from the e11 to my E9 is yet larger, the stage is noticeably more deep and textured, the stage is definitely wider and separation is significantly better than just using an mp3 player.  Cant say how your laptop sounds without an amp, but know that an e11 is like 65 bucks and sounds great, and its very small.

I dunno, I think that headphones can do "surround sound" even better than a home theatre setup.  Have you ever listened to binaural recordings before?  Instead of coming from 7 different points around you it feels like it's coming from an infinite number of points around you - just like in real life.

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #13 of 66

Quote:
 I would worry about the adapter needed to fit into the 1/8  jack on your laptop.  The hd598 comes with a large 1/4 cable and you need to use the 1/8th adapter that comes with the set to be used on normal audio jacks.  It ends up being extremely long and heavy and could cause damage to your fragile audio jack on your laptop 

What if I am going to be primarily using it on my iMac?

So, the set comes with a 1/8th adapter? So, I just need to switch adapters (which come with the headphones) and I'll be fine? If you haven't noticed, I haven't unboxed the headphones yet as I wanted to make absolutely sure I don't make any missteps. 

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #14 of 66
Lol, well if you feel that is good for you, more power to yah.  But for me, no headphones exist that can place sounds behind you and are really a true surround sound experience.  And yes, I have listened to it, I am a big fan of those types of tracks as well as the realistic sounds and relaxing environmental tracks.  The best I have ever heard for dynamics and placement of sound was the T1, and even it was pretty terrible compared to a great 7.1 speaker setup.

Jun 17, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #15 of 66

Quote:
What if I am going to be primarily using it on my iMac?

So, the set comes with a 1/8th adapter? So, I just need to switch adapters (which come with the headphones) and I'll be fine? If you haven't noticed, I haven't unboxed the headphones yet as I wanted to make absolutely sure I don't make any missteps. 

I'd recommend getting a cheap flexible Y-splitter and just plugging the plug into there.  I've already bent the plug for my 595 by bumping it into a wall while carrying my laptop around.  Fortunately nothing broke and it still works...but definitely don't recommend plugging it into the computer directly with the standard 1/8th adapter, it will definitely break off if you're not careful and could leave you with a worthless headphone port on your computer with the end of a plug stuck into it.

And swbf2cheater, have you ever listened to a good binaural recording?  Granted, no movies are recorded this way, and video games can never do surround that well, but a good binaural recording will fool you into thinking it's a real scene acting out around you with headphones.  A good recording is the barber shop one.

Of course, since movie soundtracks are designed to be listened to with a surround setup, they will always sound better than one...don't think any amount of processing will change that.  Well, it might, but we're just not there yet.  After all, we only have two ears and if the directional cues are done well enough, two speakers are all we need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back