JUST BOUGHT THE DT770'S AND RATTING!
Aug 25, 2011 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TDavis21

New Head-Fier
Just bought these DT770's 80 ohms, and the first thing I notice is that the left side rattles when I listen to bass songs (I have to turn it down very low not to hear it).  I was wondering is this a easy fix, or do I just need to let the headphones burn in?  Thanks.

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 10
Turn the eq off.  You could be clipping very badly.  Does it do it in just about every song?  If its just in the one side you probably should send those back.

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
Turn the eq off.  You could be clipping very badly.  Does it do it in just about every song?  If its just in the one side you probably should send those back.

OP: No mention of EQ
Response: TURN THE EQ OFF.

That is very head-fi of you, sir.

But really, there are a lot of things that could be going on here. Perhaps your "bass songs" are just 64kb/s and you have massive distortion. Perhaps you've got bass boost EQ going, and it's causing clipping, as Senor Snaps has said. Perhaps there's a hair that snuck into the driver and is being a little annoying. Perhaps your amp (onboard or otherwise) is struggling to reproduce the deep, controlled, and tasteful bass that I'm sure permeates your "bass songs."

How long have you had them, and how are you driving them? <--(more standard head-fi)

EDIT: Reread the title, and I apologize for not reading your entire post. If your headphones are spawning hordes of rats (as I'm sure ratting implies), then DEFINITELY send them back RIGHT away. I hope that this message isn't too late.

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 10
Oh sorry about not mentioning the setup. I got a presonus firebox its going into (headphone level at 9 o clock, so its not too loud). No eq on the computer, and I just tried them today.  This was the last pair, and I went really far to get them. I'm wondering could a hair possibly gotten in (I dont have long hair btw either, and they don't even look touched)?

Aug 25, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #5 of 10
Well, burn in isn't going to fix it, get that notion out of your head. Try listening to some other well-recorded music, focus on the bass, and try to see if you still hear the rattling. If you do, we can probably blame it on the headphones.

Aug 25, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #7 of 10
Bought at the store (still was wrapped with plastic inside). Its hard to when i listen to other music, because I you can't really tell me with all the instruments going on.  I'm wondering if possibly a hair is stuck in them. I remember my friend told me he had a pair awhile back, but he said if it was the driver, it would blow out eventually.

Aug 25, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #9 of 10
if you bought them at the store, why not just bring it back and swap it out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back