Just bought the AKG 240S, a few questions.
Dec 16, 2010 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

sbaker34

New Head-Fier
They finally arrived about an hour ago and first off they are very comfortable, and listening to vlogs on youtube and such they sound great and I notice a lot more detail then I ever have in voices and such, however for music rock anyway they sound a bit.. dull I suppose now I notice my cheapies used to sound somewhat similar though not as detailed and with use they became a bit sharper so since these cans are brand new do they just need "break in" time? Or is it lack of amplifier even though they are plugged into my PC? Finally, does it matter if they are plugged directly into the sound card or will the front plug work the same? I apologize if these stuff can be found searching but I looked and didn't see anything and I want a more exact answer.

Dec 16, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 17
There isn't an exact answer because every can and pair of ears are different.

It could be the lack of break in, the cans not being driven decently, the quality of the recording being poor (not just the bitrate, whether it was recorded badly in the studio itself), or maybe because the cans just don't go with those type of songs.

What do you mean by "even though they are plugged into my PC"? do you mean that your PC has an integrated headphone amp?

Dec 16, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 17
Your PC soundcard is possibly part of the problem. Also give the drivers some time to break in and see how you feel about them after that.  But they are a bit laid back by nature as well. I could see how you might want a more forward sounding phone with more punch for rock. A sony v6 would probably fit the bill better for that genre, though many people find them kind of harsh.

Dec 16, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #5 of 17
I think it was largely the album but I also have to say they already sound a bit sharper in general. Do you guys know any cheap amps under 30$? Also sound cards, I have a RealTek HD audio, is there anything somewhat cheap that would be a lot better?

Dec 16, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #6 of 17
My K240S's took about 10 hours of break-in to really start coming into their own.  After that, they didn't do much.  They're a fantastic can for the money and I think you'll continue to enjoy them even though they're a little light in the treble. 

As for amps that cheap, you'll have a tough time finding something that's much of an upgrade.

Dec 16, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #8 of 17
Mines sounds awesome just right out of the box, and i am using a modest HeadAmp4 (50$ in amazon), listening to some metal, bass is punchy and very detailed, highs are I love this highs! 
When i was buying this amp i was looking for something around 30$ and there is plenty at amazon, go check, then come here and look for reviews, I'm sure you'll find some.

Dec 16, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #9 of 17
mine works great for metal and rock for me.. they do seem to require decent amount of power to shine(some claim they need as much power as the old 240 monitors). also made an improvement with clarity when i took the thick foam pads off behind the leather pads. still very comfortable. i'm using my vintage sansui 5000x to drive'em and sounds wonderful. i don't know how many hours i spent with'em but i just got mine couple nights ago at my local guitar center. 

are you using onboard sound?

EDIT: nevermind i saw op mentioned his soundcard. yea you can try getting a dedicated soundcard. it will help. turtle beach or soundblaster cards are great if your on a budget.

Dec 16, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #11 of 17
there just seperate volume controls. it allows up to 4 headphones to plug in at once that's all. yea you will see ''stereo in'' on the back you plug to your soundcard's output with male to male 3.5mm headphone jack and that's it. 

Quote:
Sounds like I need a amp, I notice the headamp4 has a bunch of dials, will I need to touch them or will it work fine just plugged in?

Dec 16, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
there just seperate volume controls. it allows up to 4 headphones to plug in at once that's all. yea you will see ''stereo in'' on the back you plug to your soundcard's output with male to male 3.5mm headphone jack and that's it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaker34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sounds like I need a amp, I notice the headamp4 has a bunch of dials, will I need to touch them or will it work fine just plugged in?

Which the amp doesnt include btw.
you should be able to find a lot of 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm cables. i've read some cables might cause interference, try getting a thick one maybe?

the 4 plugs are useful for be because i have my speakers in one and sets of headphones in the others, i can just turn volume all the way down or up depending what i'm using.

Dec 17, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #14 of 17
In my experience, the K240S (Mk II) does benefit from 15 - 20 hrs of burn in.  I got mine new, and out of the box they had too much bass and dull treble.  After burning them in over 2 nights, the bass tightened up, and the treble became more present, better defined and resolving.  I use them with an amp but maybe I'll try them tonight with just my PC's sound card to see if there's any difference.

In general, I really think these are great headphones, especially for the price.  I like them waaaay more than the K601's and K701/702's, in spite of all the praise the latter get here. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #15 of 17
For listening to music on your PC,unless you have a high-end sound card, I think you'll want a DAC (digital-to-audio converter) as well as an amp (probably even more so?). I notice a HUGE difference in sound quality when listening from my PC's soundcard vs. my iPhone which has a better built-in DAC (the K240S was one of the phones I auditioned for a while and probably would have purchased if not for the leakage). Obviously I'm a n00b so I'm in no position to give advice on the best dac/amp in your budget but I'm looking at the $100 FiiO E7 for my use. Someone here should be able to make a recommendation that fits your budget?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back