June 28, 2015 - Audio-Video Club of Atlanta 2nd Annual Portable Audio Jam
Jun 28, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #62 of 86
That was a fun event!

Thanks Matt for bringing the Mr Speakers Ether, Purk for bringing the Stax 009 and Hifinman HE1000 ,and Joe for bring the HD800 and Questyle amp/dac.  Great sound all around.

I hope folks enjoyed hearing the new NightHawks and the Grado e series!

Lee

Jun 28, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #64 of 86
I want to thank John Morrison and all AVCOA members for hosting this event.  I had a blast meeting old and new friends chatting anything headphones.  I love to hear impressions of what people think of the Stax SR009, HD800, and HE1000 in a side by side comparison.  I do understand that the meet condition is less than ideal but I'm curious of what others think of them.  

Thanks Frank for bringing along the Foxtex TH900 and Joe (M Coupe) for showing off his AK240 & Hugo.  A special thank to Joe Saxon for showing off his gear.  Mr. Saxon is a great guy and his offerings do sound great.  Give him some business folks! 

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #65 of 86
  Really enjoyed seeing everyone and demoing all the great gear... next time let's hold it at the Brickstore :wink:

Haha!  I LOVE that place...even though they no longer make my favorite meal (the Volcano!).

And like others have said, it was great meeting you folks!  I look forward to the next one.

Thanks John and AVCOA!

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #66 of 86
  I want to thank John Morrison and all AVCOA members for hosting this event.  I had a blast meeting old and new friends chatting anything headphones.  I love to hear impressions of what people think of the Stax SR009, HD800, and HE1000 in a side by side comparison.  I do understand that the meet condition is less than ideal but I'm curious of what others think of them.  

Thanks Frank for bringing along the Foxtex TH900 and Joe (M Coupe) for showing off his AK240 & Hugo.  A special thank to Joe Saxon for showing off his gear.  Mr. Saxon is a great guy and his offerings do sound great.  Give him some business folks! 

I'm really glad you brought such great gear!  I completely forgot to listen to the HD800, haha.  I think I wound up liking the HE1000 over the SR009.  But, like I was saying to you at the meet, I think the HE1000 presents its strengths more quickly than does the SR009. 

When I listen to a set of headphones for the first time, I don't always "get" them right away.  It's like my brain has to learn how to make a few internal settings adjustments before I know what I really think of the sound.  I also think this is a big factor in the perception of burn in (though I'm not saying it doesn't exist at all). 

But anyway, yes, I thought they were both fantastic.  And the SR009 began growing on me once I was able to start picking out the positional information it was transmitting.  If I had to choose between them right now, I'd still go with the HE1000, but under really quiet conditions and with more time for my brain to sort them out, it's possible I could change my mind.  And just to add another player to the comparison, I still think I like the sound of my LCD-X the most.  Because that bass.  I'm addicted.

Jun 29, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #67 of 86
Thanks to everyone for sharing their time and equipment. I really enjoyed meeting everybody and sharing their impressions of the different gear. Hope to see you guys again!

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #68 of 86
Big thanks to John for organizing the event and for sharing his space for us headphone nuts. Although I didn't get to spend much time auditioning gear, I enjoyed talking to many of you about the Ether that I brought. 

Highlights for me:

*the vintage Stax powered by a custom power tube amp (sorry can't remember who brought it)

*the pm-3 had a very neutral sound that appealed to me

*Joe brought the WA6/Chord setup that was impressive. It had lot's of grunt with the lcd2. I also got to plug the Ether into this setup and was impressed by the refinement as well. 

*Frank's AKG (modded with Alpha Pads) were surprising for just over $100

*The Centrence Hifi m8 impressed me with features and good performance

It was nice to spend the afternoon "talking shop" with the boys about our systems and experiences. Looking forward to the next meet.

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #69 of 86
  I'm really glad you brought such great gear!  I completely forgot to listen to the HD800, haha.  I think I wound up liking the HE1000 over the SR009.  But, like I was saying to you at the meet, I think the HE1000 presents its strengths more quickly than does the SR009. 

When I listen to a set of headphones for the first time, I don't always "get" them right away.  It's like my brain has to learn how to make a few internal settings adjustments before I know what I really think of the sound.  I also think this is a big factor in the perception of burn in (though I'm not saying it doesn't exist at all). 

But anyway, yes, I thought they were both fantastic.  And the SR009 began growing on me once I was able to start picking out the positional information it was transmitting.  If I had to choose between them right now, I'd still go with the HE1000, but under really quiet conditions and with more time for my brain to sort them out, it's possible I could change my mind.  And just to add another player to the comparison, I still think I like the sound of my LCD-X the most.  Because that bass.  I'm addicted.

+1 on preferring the X over the SR009 or HE1000.  the HD800 though was a close second.

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #70 of 86
  Big thanks to John for organizing the event and for sharing his space for us headphone nuts. Although I didn't get to spend much time auditioning gear, I enjoyed talking to many of you about the Ether that I brought. 

Highlights for me:

*the vintage Stax powered by a custom power tube amp (sorry can't remember who brought it)

*the pm-3 had a very neutral sound that appealed to me

*Joe brought the WA6/Chord setup that was impressive. It had lot's of grunt with the lcd2. I also got to plug the Ether into this setup and was impressed by the refinement as well. 

*Frank's AKG (modded with Alpha Pads) were surprising for just over $100

*The Centrence Hifi m8 impressed me with features and good performance

It was nice to spend the afternoon "talking shop" with the boys about our systems and experiences. Looking forward to the next meet.

I really enjoyed hearing your Ether.  One day, I'd like to give the Ether a good long listen with classical music.  It seemed like it would be particularly good for that purpose.  And I was a little stunned at how light and comfortable it was.  Good-looking, too, without being showy.  Definitely a winner.

Jun 29, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #71 of 86
Is there an Atlanta head-fi meetup group?  Any interest in one?  Might make events like this even better attended in the future.

Jun 30, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #74 of 86
That'd be great.  I'm currently in Stone Mountain, but looking at moving to Decatur myself.  But I'd be willing to drive a bit if I had to.  Anywhere in the Atlanta metro area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back