JRiver Media Center 21 -- Ready To Go
Feb 29, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #76 of 168
^ He doesn't mean "bit perfect". He means "pass through arbitrary bit stream". Unfortunately for mordical, JRiver has no plans to support MQA and there's no way that I know of to just pass through any arbitrary bit stream.

Brian.

Feb 29, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #77 of 168
I am currently testing out Winyl as a free player which uses WASAPI or ASIO. It sounds to me like my imagination makes it sound different. If it's running in bitperfect, how can it sound different.

I find it odd that I can alter volume in the Winyl player. If I recall correct I could not in JRiver when running bitperfect. I had to alter volume on the Chord Mojo, or on my active speakers.

Anyway I went off googling "JRiver vs Winyl", and found a page that did a review of media players.
http://www.audioholics.com/how-to-shop/best-audiophile-music-software
They rate them with: Subjective Sound Quality: and JRiver got 8/10.

Anyway in my uncertainty I can't help thinking I will eventually buy JRiver. (My extended trial of JRiver lasted for four-and-a-half days.)

There is still WinAmp and AIMP3 to try out.

Feb 29, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #78 of 168

Thanks for the replay's about MQA. I've tried your suggestions and no luck. Brentry is correct. I need pass through and JRiver won't do it. I have downloaded Audirvana which works with MQA. I actually like the sound of its player better then JRiver, but it's library is a mess. River is such a nicer program overall with some many nice options. Why is pass trough so hard to accomplish?

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #79 of 168
So stupid question here but someone changed my theme to a black background and text and I can't see anything to make a change. Anyway to fix this without uninstalling? I can't even uninstall because the window that pops up is all black too.

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #80 of 168
Well even after uninstalling it by just deleting every jriver file on my computer, when I try to install it again I just get a black window. I'll just return to iTunes. What a terrible software feature. I know sometimes when Jriver crashes you have the option to start with a default view, any way to force that?

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #81 of 168
I've never seen that before. Someone might have activated Skin Effects or something. In Skin Effects you can change brightness and contrast and things like that.

Can you see the menus at the top? If so, try View > Skin > Noire

If you still can't get it to work, you should post over on the JRiver forums:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php

Brian.

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #82 of 168
I've never seen that before. Someone might have activated Skin Effects or something. In Skin Effects you can change brightness and contrast and things like that.

Can you see the menus at the top? If so, try View > Skin > Noire

If you still can't get it to work, you should post over on the JRiver forums:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php

Brian.

That's what happened. Posted over there, right now I can't even install it. Can't believe there wouldn't be an easy fix for this.

Mar 7, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #83 of 168
Into 3+ hours analyzing audio files in my iTunes collection of 15,332 files.
Is this normal for Media Center 21?

Thanks

Mar 7, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #84 of 168
^ Yeah that sounds about right. 15k files is medium sized and several hours is normal. Audio analysis can be configured to use several processes in parallel. I found that I got the best performance by setting the number of simultaneous processes to the same as the physical number of CPU cores I had. If you're only doing it one at a time, this might speed it up by a factor of 2 to 4 on a typical system.

Audio analysis only has to be done once, so it's pretty transparent. I also have analyze audio checked in my auto import options. So every time I add new music, MC spends a minute or two analyzing the new files and my whole library is up to date almost instantly.

Brian.

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #85 of 168
^ Yeah that sounds about right. 15k files is medium sized and several hours is normal. Audio analysis can be configured to use several processes in parallel. I found that I got the best performance by setting the number of simultaneous processes to the same as the physical number of CPU cores I had. If you're only doing it one at a time, this might speed it up by a factor of 2 to 4 on a typical system.

Audio analysis only has to be done once, so it's pretty transparent. I also have analyze audio checked in my auto import options. So every time I add new music, MC spends a minute or two analyzing the new files and my whole library is up to date almost instantly.

Brian.

Do you know where Media Center put all their internal files after the analysis for MACs?
Thanks,

Mar 8, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #86 of 168
  That's what happened. Posted over there, right now I can't even install it. Can't believe there wouldn't be an easy fix for this.

Download the 30-day free trial version of Revo Uninstaller (http://www.revouninstaller.com/). Do a forced uninstall of JRiver. Assuming you've deleted most of the JRiver files, it should remove all JRiver registry items and any remaining files you missed. Then reinstall JRiver.

Cheers,

Bernie

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #87 of 168
Do you know where Media Center put all their internal files after the analysis for MACs?

I'm not sure what you are asking. MC does not move or copy media files. When you import music files, they stay where they were; MC just knows about them after import.

Audio analysis just reads the files to determine volume levels, etc. MC then writes the volume level information into it's internal database. Fields like [Volume Level (R128)]. If the file being analyzed supports it, Media Center will write those tags back into the metadata of the file. FLACs support a lot of metadata and will normally get these tags written into them.

You can look at the tags on a file, including the volume level info, by opening the Tagging Window. Edit > Tag

I hope that helps.

Brian.

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #88 of 168
I'm not sure what you are asking. MC does not move or copy media files. When you import music files, they stay where they were; MC just knows about them after import.

Audio analysis just reads the files to determine volume levels, etc. MC then writes the volume level information into it's internal database. Fields like [Volume Level (R128)]. If the file being analyzed supports it, Media Center will write those tags back into the metadata of the file. FLACs support a lot of metadata and will normally get these tags written into them.

You can look at the tags on a file, including the volume level info, by opening the Tagging Window. Edit > Tag

I hope that helps.

Brian.

That helps Brian. Thanks.  

Mar 8, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #89 of 168
Help with JRiver Media Center...

I have a Teac UD-503 DSD DAC which is capable of upsampling all the way ups to 384K, as well as DSD 11.2, so my question is this… when setting up JRiver is it better to leave output format off and choose my upsampling from the DAC, or let JRiver upsample and go from there?

Thanks

Oh, and are there any other things I should know with regards to setup with my DAC?  BTW I'm currently encoding my music files in flac.

Again, thanks.
modify_inline.gif

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #90 of 168
when setting up JRiver is it better to leave output format off and choose my upsampling from the DAC, or let JRiver upsample and go from there?

Either way. I personally prefer to send 44.1kHz to the DAC as-is and let the DAC do it's thing. Other people will tell you that they like to send up-sampled digital to their DAC because they think the player (Jriver) does a better job at upsampling than the DAC itself. You can try both and see which you like.

Brian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back