JRiver Media Center 21 -- Ready To Go
Apr 23, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #106 of 168
Oldson:

Right off, it sounds like your CPU is not part of the problem. Are your files on local disk? Or over a network?

I'm pretty good at JRiver in general, but I don't use JRiver on Windows, so my skills with Windows specific problems (like performance) aren't as good as others. You might try posting on the JRiver forum about this to get more expert opinions.

Brian.

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #107 of 168
Thanks for all your advice and suggestions everyone.
I will go back to my computer and software configurations.
I have run a benchmark test on JRiver, and have the following results, which make no sense to me.
Should I be worried with any of my scores? [...]

JRMark (version 21.0.50): 2574

That's a medium powered machine. Not low, not high. It should be just fine for *decoding* DSD and probably 2xDSD. I'm not sure about *encoding* to DSD, 2x, or 4x. It's probably fine for encoding 1xDSD and maybe 2x DSD.

I'm guessing about where the line is for encoding performance, as I don't really have much experience with it. I'm guessing you might be CPU bound encoding to very high rates like 4xDSD, but really not 100% sure about that. You could try disabling your AV software to see if that changes anything for you. You can always turn it right back on after the test.

I see you have a thread open at the JRiver forums too. You should get more help there than just me! :)

Brian.

Apr 23, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #108 of 168
it would appear my problem may be caused by the mojo or drivers.

i have just re-installed my newly repaired ifi micro idsd and so far i am not getting the same issues.

Apr 23, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #109 of 168
  i do not have the 503 but was very interested in buying it a short while ago.
i asked this very same question on another forum, i was advised the best option is to let the pc/software do the upscaling and not the dac, providing you have a powerful enough pc.
i do trust this guy's advice, too.

Too each his own. My question is why buy a DAC that does upsampling if you're only going to let someone else's software do it for you. This basically says you don't trust the DAC to do it for you. So why buy the DAC in the first place???   

At any rate I trust my UD-503 more than JRiver's upsampling process but that's me. You obviously feel different. That's you.

Peace:)

Apr 23, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #110 of 168

Too each his own. My question is why buy a DAC that does upsampling if you're only going to let someone else's software do it for you. This basically says you don't trust the DAC to do it for you. So why buy the DAC in the first place???   

At any rate I trust my UD-503 more than JRiver's upsampling process but that's me. You obviously feel different. That's you.

Peace:)

my reply to your question would be 2 fold.
1) the upsampling feature is not the sole reason for buying the 503
and 
2) just because it does upsampling, it does not mean it is the best solution.

i am not technically minded in this field which is why i asked the advice of someone who is. all i did was pass on that information.
before this i actually thought the feature was a good reason for me to buy the dac. but it appears that may not be the case.

Apr 23, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #111 of 168
  my reply to your question would be 2 fold.
1) the upsampling feature is not the sole reason for buying the 503

That may not apply to you, but it certainly applied to me. And if "I" didn't think it was better than what JRiver offered, I might not have chosen that particular unit. That's me, I can't do anybody else.   

And I'm not very "technical" in this field either, I just would like to think that if I pay for something, it should work. If not, why did I get it in the first place.  BTW I actually asked this question in JRiver and the post basically went ignored so... Best Setup for Teac UD-503?

At any rate, yes... advice was asked, and I gave my thoughts. It's up to you to do what you wish.

Peace
cool.gif

Apr 23, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #112 of 168
The real truth is that upsampling of any type can't add any information. So from that standpoint it's not useful in any way.

There are technical reasons why DACs upsample internally that make sense. Though almost every modern DAC on the market is a Delta Sigma DAC, so it's being internally converted to 1 bit (or another smaller code like 4 bit) and then sliced and diced by the Delta Sigma converter. So the reasons for upsampling become less compelling.

On the other hand, there is the question of whether the DAC internally converts all sample rates to D/S the same way. Said another way, does the DAC sound best with some particular input rate? If there *is* a difference, then having a very high quality upsampler in software makes sense.

I tend to think that most of this makes no real difference. Trying to quantify it is extremely difficult due to the human beings and their ears and brains. I say do a few experiments and if you hear a difference, use the way that sounds best to you. If you find yourself not enjoying the music at some point, you should probably look for a reason why. It's possible that one upsampling method or another sounds better to your subconscious brain and that's the one you should use. It's also possible to form long term impressions that are totally different than A/B quick impressions.

In the end, I want to enjoy music coming out of my system. I used to make a whole hobby of finding differences and hearing specific things. While that *IS* fun, I think listening to good music from a system that makes the hairs on your arms stand on end, is much more satisfying for me personally. I hope you both get that same kind of joy from music played on your systems. :)

Brian.

Jun 3, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #115 of 168
  I don't feel the need to upgrade this time around. Probably when there's a new, useful audio-related feature I simply have to have, that will be the go signal for me to do an upgrade.

what is the latest version?

paul

Jun 3, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #116 of 168
what is the latest version?

Right this moment JRiver Media Center is at version 21.0.86 for windows and 21.0.83 for Mac. That will change over the next days and weeks as new incremental releases come out. In the next 4 to 12 weeks, JRiver will probably release the first few builds of MC22. No one knows when, or exactly what will be in it, but that's the expected time frame.

Any license you buy now (as of about 6 to 8 weeks ago) will work on JRiver Media Center version 21 *and* version 22.

Brian.

Jun 17, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #117 of 168
I just want to say JRiver did an amazing job on the effects: I currently have surround on medium enhancement or pronounced enhancement with environment off.

Headphone crossfeed was kind of meh, It didn't sound that good with it on. So I leave it off.

I also have dithering off. But someone said TPDF dithering is better? is it recommended? I have a multibit dac and the idea of using noise to shape the sound just doesn't sit well with me, that reminds of me of delta sigma dacs.

How do you guys optimize JRiver?

Jun 18, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #118 of 168
I've tried a lot of the options but always end up turning them off. I've learned to just get out of my gear's way. With the HE-400 I did do some light EQ though. With my current setup I don't really have much to fix. Still fun checking out all of the options though.

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #119 of 168
I've tried a lot of the options but always end up turning them off. I've learned to just get out of my gear's way. With the HE-400 I did do some light EQ though. With my current setup I don't really have much to fix. Still fun checking out all of the options though.

Do you also leave dithering off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back