JRiver Media Center 21 -- Ready To Go
Mar 9, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #91 of 168
I did try sending upsampled files to the DAC but it seemed like that was defeating the purpose of the DAC's upsampling ability.  Anyway I asked because I wanted to see what the "norm" was.  BTW I asked this question at the JRiver forums but it went ignored so I guess I won't be wasting my time there anymore. 

Anyway I'll experiment some more but I think in the end I'll just keep the files at 44.1 from JR and let the DAC do its own thing if need be.

Thanks.

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #92 of 168
I am trying out Winyl as a bitperfect player, after having trialed JRiver. I have come across an issue with Winyl. It has the function where we point to a folder like my Media Go folder, as I did with JRiver. However it doesn't seem to refresh. I have added an album by ripping in Media Go, yet it doesn't show up in Winyl.

It's been like this for a about a week. I have tried all the menu options over and over, and there are not many options. 

Just saying. As it seems I will probably soon end up with JRiver.

Mar 20, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #95 of 168
I assure you JRiver won't start randomly calling you, or sell your phone number to someone. They probably just want your number to make contacting you easier if there's some sort of issue with your card. They are a legitimate business selling a legitimate product.

Brian.

Mar 20, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #96 of 168
I assure you JRiver won't start randomly calling you, or sell your phone number to someone. They probably just want your number to make contacting you easier if there's some sort of issue with your card. They are a legitimate business selling a legitimate product.

Brian.

I figured it might be account recovery. Anyway I went ahead and bought it after wrangling with myself last night and today again for about twenty minutes.

Glad I did. It was really good to hear a new CD that I bought played bitperfect. Winyl will do that but it doesn't suit my requirements half as well. It does a weird fade in out which I can't get rid of, when skipping tracks. Plus JRiver can be configured to insert a second silence to counteract the Chord Mojo effect. Basically it mutes a second of music while it syncs hardware. It affects changing sampling frequencies and often when there is no change.

Also I ripped Led Zep II today. In Media Go I could not get the artwork, but it shows up in JRiver. I must read back though and get my ripping sorted. I remember you mentioned the way to get I think Exact Audio Copy then adding artwork.

Thank you again for being there.

Apr 22, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #97 of 168
My current desktop audio setup is PC -> Clones Audio Asher DAC -> Violectric V281 (balanced out) -> Audeze LCD2F.
I've until recently been using MB as my default music player, but lately downloaded JMC21 as a trial.
After a quick setup, I immediately discovered an increase in sound quality.
The soundstage is obviously larger, with better imaging and seemingly more impactful bass.
I was surprised but at the same time puzzled by these changes. 
I am almost totally sold on this music player, but have a few dealbreaking problems with it, I hope someone here can help me:

1. I want to upsample my data in the "output encoding" option before sending to DAC, but I find that if I choose the higher options (4 x DSD or above), the music becomes stuttered, even when I have increased the buffering rate to 500msec.  I know 2 x DSD may be just as detectably good as 4 or 8 x DSD, but still, I just want to test out the potentials of all my components.

2. when I use the mouse pad on my laptop to scroll on the playlist or even while using other programmes, the music becomes stuttered, and I have to pause or stop the music and restart again to continue listening.  This really is annoying me.

If I can find solutions to these, I will probably be purchasing the player right away.
Also, if there are other ways or options on the player that I can use to increase the sound quality better, please let me know.

Thank you so very much.

Apr 22, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #98 of 168
  My current desktop audio setup is PC -> Clones Audio Asher DAC -> Violectric V281 (balanced out) -> Audeze LCD2F.
I've until recently been using MB as my default music player, but lately downloaded JMC21 as a trial.
The soundstage is obviously larger, with better imaging and seemingly more impactful bass.
I am almost totally sold on this music player, but have a few dealbreaking problems with it, I hope someone here can help me:

1. I want to upsample my data in the "output encoding" option before sending to DAC, but I find that if I choose the higher options (4 x DSD or above), the music becomes stuttered, even when I have increased the buffering rate to 500msec.  I know 2 x DSD may be just as detectably good as 4 or 8 x DSD, but still, I just want to test out the potentials of all my components.

2. when I use the mouse pad on my laptop to scroll on the playlist or even while using other programmes, the music becomes stuttered, and I have to pause or stop the music and restart again to continue listening.  This really is annoying me.

If I can find solutions to these, I will probably be purchasing the player right away.
Also, if there are other ways or options on the player that I can use to increase the sound quality better, please let me know.

Thank you so very much.

I'm not sure I have your answer but I have my Teac UD-503 DAC upsample my files, including upsampling to DSD. The only DSP effect I use is the EQ, everything else is disabled (default). I'm thinking the DAC that was designed to upsample should be able to do that, that's why you bought it didn't you? Now, if your DAC doesn't have those features, then JRMC21 is designed handle that for you.

As far as your mouse lag... are you running a lot of programs while JRMC is running? This could indicate a memory or CPU performance issue. It could also be an OS problem. Too many variables to look at. However you could tell what CPU, and how much memory you have.  That's a good starting point there.

Apr 22, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #99 of 168
1. I want to upsample my data in the "output encoding" option before sending to DAC, but I find that if I choose the higher options (4 x DSD or above), the music becomes stuttered, even when I have increased the buffering rate to 500msec.

Personally, I don't think this makes much sense. Unless your DAC is REALLY good at DSD and not nearly as good at PCM. Because encoding PCM to DSD doesn't add anything; it's just a different format.

Did you know the MC can also upsample PCM to higher sampling rate PCM? Again, if your DAC is best at a certain frequency of PCM, then you can easily upsample to that frequency instead of letting the DAC do it internally.

That said, I might have a clue for you. Keep reading...

This sounds like one of two problems to me:

1. Your anti-virus software is scanning files very aggressively, making MC run slowly. If you are running Windows Defender, here is the Wiki entry on how to make it work properly with MC, so it will ignore your music files:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Taming_Windows_Defender

Other AV software should be similar to reconfigure. One way of testing is to disable your AV software. But I've been told many times that simply disabling the AV software isn't enough and it must be completely uninstalled as a test. Again, JUST for a test.

If you find that the AV software is the problem, it might fix your output encoding problem too, as that process requires a lot of resources, so the AV software might be getting in the way there too.

2. Maybe your playback computer isn't very powerful? Encoding to DSD, 2xDSD, and 4xDSD require a lot more computer power than just regular PCM playback. Run the JRiver benchmark: Help > Benchmark > Run Benchmark . The JMark score will give you a relative idea of how powerful your computer is for MC playback.

Good luck to you.

Brian.

Apr 23, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #100 of 168

Thank you so very much.

i,m suffering the same so will be watching this with interest. my issues are  when upscaling to 2 or 4x dsd, pcm 768 is also a problem as every so often music is completely drowned out by hiss.

Apr 23, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #101 of 168
  I'm not sure I have your answer but I have my Teac UD-503 DAC upsample my files, including upsampling to DSD. The only DSP effect I use is the EQ, everything else is disabled (default). I'm thinking the DAC that was designed to upsample should be able to do that, that's why you bought it didn't you? Now, if your DAC doesn't have those features, then JRMC21 is designed handle that for you.

As far as your mouse lag... are you running a lot of programs while JRMC is running? This could indicate a memory or CPU performance issue. It could also be an OS problem. Too many variables to look at. However you could tell what CPU, and how much memory you have.  That's a good starting point there.

i do not have the 503 but was very interested in buying it a short while ago.
i asked this very same question on another forum, i was advised the best option is to let the pc/software do the upscaling and not the dac, providing you have a powerful enough pc.
i do trust this guy's advice, too.

Apr 23, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #102 of 168
  i,m suffering the same so will be watching this with interest. my issues are  when upscaling to 2 or 4x dsd, pcm 768 is also a problem as every so often music is completely drowned out by hiss.

my benchmark score.................
=== Running Benchmarks (please do not interrupt) ===
Running 'Math' benchmark...
    Single-threaded integer math... 3.596 seconds
    Single-threaded floating point math... 2.389 seconds
    Multi-threaded integer math... 2.041 seconds
    Multi-threaded mixed math... 1.264 seconds
Score: 2045
Running 'Image' benchmark...
    Image creation / destruction... 0.159 seconds
    Flood filling... 0.376 seconds
    Direct copying... 0.507 seconds
    Small renders... 1.235 seconds
    Bilinear rendering... 0.999 seconds
    Bicubic rendering... 0.624 seconds
Score: 5641
Running 'Database' benchmark...
    Create database... 0.191 seconds
    Populate database... 0.902 seconds
    Save database... 0.115 seconds
    Reload database... 0.065 seconds
    Search database... 1.858 seconds
    Sort database... 0.990 seconds
    Group database... 0.653 seconds
Score: 4504
JRMark (version 21.0.50): 4064

should this be ok for the pcm to dsd conversin?

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #103 of 168
JRMark (version 21.0.50): 4064

should this be ok for the pcm to dsd conversin?

That's a nice healthy JMark score. For any kind of normal audio or video playback it's more than enough. I don't have any direct experience with on the fly conversion to DSD, or to really high PCM sample rates. My gut feeling is that this is enough, but I'm not sure. You could ask this same question at the JRiver forums and someone would probably know.

Or you can monitor your CPU usage during playback. If it's anywhere near 100% then that probably indicates you don't have quite enough power for the conversion you are doing.

Or it could just be your AV software getting in the way. You might try disabling or uninstalling as I described above. As a test.

Brian.

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #104 of 168
Thanks for all your advice and suggestions everyone.
I will go back to my computer and software configurations.
I have run a benchmark test on JRiver, and have the following results, which make no sense to me.
Should I be worried with any of my scores?

5.819 seconds
Score: 3265

JRMark (version 21.0.50): 3265=== Running Benchmarks (please do not interrupt) ===

Running 'Math' benchmark...
Single-threaded integer math... 5.830 seconds
Single-threaded floating point math... 3.551 seconds
Multi-threaded integer math... 3.460 seconds
Multi-threaded mixed math... 2.143 seconds
Score: 1268

Running 'Image' benchmark...
Image creation / destruction... 0.493 seconds
Flood filling... 0.485 seconds
Direct copying... 0.579 seconds
Small renders... 1.657 seconds
Bilinear rendering... 2.093 seconds
Bicubic rendering... 1.334 seconds
Score: 3312

Running 'Database' benchmark...
Create database... 0.288 seconds
Populate database... 1.371 seconds
Save database... 0.284 seconds
Reload database... 0.092 seconds
Search database... 2.585 seconds
Sort database... 1.348 seconds
Group database... 0.876 seconds
Score: 3142

JRMark (version 21.0.50): 2574

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #105 of 168
That's a nice healthy JMark score. For any kind of normal audio or video playback it's more than enough. I don't have any direct experience with on the fly conversion to DSD, or to really high PCM sample rates. My gut feeling is that this is enough, but I'm not sure. You could ask this same question at the JRiver forums and someone would probably know.

Or you can monitor your CPU usage during playback. If it's anywhere near 100% then that probably indicates you don't have quite enough power for the conversion you are doing.

Or it could just be your AV software getting in the way. You might try disabling or uninstalling as I described above. As a test.

Brian.

cheers Brian
i am not too hot on pc skills, but i have found task manager and ran it while upscaling pcm to dsd256 . cpu usage read 10-12%
i will try disabling my av, but ultimately would not want to run it like that as i tend to use the net while listening.
i am only using a trial jr at the moment so i have 30 days to crack the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back