JRiver Media Center 21 -- Ready To Go
Feb 13, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #46 of 168
Hmm only five days left of JRiver trial. Panic setting in, haha.

I tried ripping using EAC and pointing JRiver to those rips, however no album art showed up. I have an thumbnail tile in JRiver called unnassigned. Inside are the two albums that I ripped and they are mixed together. Track 1 from one album, then track 1 from the other album, then track 2 from each album does the same etc. Neither album has any track names. I migth have to resolve to use JRiver for ripping.

It was discussed two posts go as I mentioned album artwork (and track listing). I have re-read it and need to figure out what to do. Strange thing was recently I was ripping something, and I can not remember what I was doing. However there was a file which I think was the cover art included at in the foler of ripped tracks.

I really want to use the best ripping though. I am struggling to get the best out of my Chord Mojo. I feel a little underwhelmed sometimes. It's really more a case that I don't have the rest of my audio kit up to standard. My desktop speakers are Q Acoustics BT3 (with QED Reference Audio J2P, and Chord Clearway). The Mojo sounds great but I am aware I may be loosing quality via poorer quality rips.

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #47 of 168
I tried ripping using EAC and pointing JRiver to those rips, however no album art showed up. I have an thumbnail tile in JRiver called unnassigned. Inside are the two albums that I ripped and they are mixed together. Track 1 from one album, then track 1 from the other album, then track 2 from each album does the same etc. Neither album has any track names.

Those files don't have any metadata that MC can read. What format are you ripping in? WAV maybe? I've seen that happen when ripping in WAV because WAV doesn't have a standard for embedding metatdata. It can be done, but there's no standard way of doing it that all programs agree on.

If you ripped in FLAC, the metadata should get embedded.

For these files that don't have metadata, do the file names contain things like track name, artist, album, etc? If so, you can use Library Tools > Fill properties from filename to grab the data from the file name and insert it into JRiver's database.

Brian.

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #48 of 168
A good friend of mine has initiating ripping from a Windows PC his four-thousand title collection of CDs using dbPowerAmp onto a QNAP 251+ NAS into .wav format. I tried to convince him to use .cue, but he refused out of laziness. He has had zero problems with major-label commercial releases including all metadata and artwork.

I FTP to his server using Transmit downloading to an iMac OSX' external hard-drive. JRiver Media Center has been excellent as my player, including its iOS remote app, with access to all metadata and artwork.

Once the collection approaches 2T, I will need to a NAS as his offsite Disaster Recovery site, seems AFAICT that neither Windows nor OSX allows for a single 6T partition.

Now I am considering Roon for a fully integrated solution.

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #49 of 168
Those files don't have any metadata that MC can read. What format are you ripping in? WAV maybe? I've seen that happen when ripping in WAV because WAV doesn't have a standard for embedding metatdata. It can be done, but there's no standard way of doing it that all programs agree on.

If you ripped in FLAC, the metadata should get embedded.

For these files that don't have metadata, do the file names contain things like track name, artist, album, etc? If so, you can use Library Tools > Fill properties from filename to grab the data from the file name and insert it into JRiver's database.

Brian.

Yes I think is exactly what happened. I am using WAV. I think when I did find the file that appeared to be album data, it was a FLAC rip. 

Sorry, but basically I am sceptical about FLAC being truly lossless. I think I would prefer to use the WAV files if I can get it. Maybe I should just use FLAC and accept it with EAC.

Thank you again, many big thanks.

@Roseval thank you by the way. I did see your post about Musicbee. However I have seen it has a serious issue with the Chord Mojo, so for now I will not be using it.

@Angular Mo OK I will do a dBpoweramp rip and see what happens.

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #50 of 168
Once the collection approaches 2T, I will need to a NAS as his offsite Disaster Recovery site, seems AFAICT that neither Windows nor OSX allows for a single 6T partition.

I'm not aware of that limit with modern versions of Windows or OSX. OSX, from 10.5 (or so) and upward support partitions far larger than 6TB.

Brian.

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #51 of 168
Sorry, but basically I am sceptical about FLAC being truly lossless. I think I would prefer to use the WAV files if I can get it.

I don't know why you'd say that. FLAC is definitely lossless. Just like a ZIP or RAR file. Lossless compression is a very well known technology that's been around forever. There is constant debate about which format sounds better: FLAC, ALAC, WAV, or AIFF. I've never heard a compelling argument, or heard a demonstration. But the debate still rages.

If you are stuck on wanting to use WAV, you certainly can with JRiver. You just need to capture everything in the file name and then have JRiver read the file name using Fill Properties from Filename. DBPoweramp seems to be able to tag WAV files, so that's another option.

Brian.

Feb 13, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #52 of 168
I don't know why you'd say that. FLAC is definitely lossless. Just like a ZIP or RAR file. Lossless compression is a very well known technology that's been around forever. There is constant debate about which format sounds better: FLAC, ALAC, WAV, or AIFF. I've never heard a compelling argument, or heard a demonstration. But the debate still rages.

If you are stuck on wanting to use WAV, you certainly can with JRiver. You just need to capture everything in the file name and then have JRiver read the file name using Fill Properties from Filename. DBPoweramp seems to be able to tag WAV files, so that's another option.

Brian.

Oh it's just that MP3 is so clearly poorer quality than WAV.

It's because I don't know how the compression is done, so I don't know if there is loss of data. I am just sceptical, that's all. I guess I should look into it to see if I can be assured.

I am new to using FLAC though and only started within the last year, so I don't know the details. I guess I think that you can't go wrong with WAV. Plus it's not like storage space is an issue anymore on computers.

Feb 13, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #53 of 168
  Hmm only five days left of JRiver trial. Panic setting in, haha.

I tried ripping using EAC and pointing JRiver to those rips, however no album art showed up. I have an thumbnail tile in JRiver called unnassigned. Inside are the two albums that I ripped and they are mixed together. Track 1 from one album, then track 1 from the other album, then track 2 from each album does the same etc. Neither album has any track names. I migth have to resolve to use JRiver for ripping.

Sounds like you have ripped 2 or more CDs to a single folder. As WAV files, each file does not have embedded metadata, so JRiver can't figure out what belongs together. That's not a JRMC issue. most other music players would be just as confused, and present the same frustrating presentation.

What I have always done is store each album in its own folder. (You can rip them there directly, or rip them to a std "staging" location, and then move each album to its "permanent location" after you're happy that the rip is good.) 

I use this kind of a hierarchy of folders:
   / music
       /A
           /Abyssians
              /1976_Satta_Massagana
           /ACDC
              /1976_Dirty_Deeds_Done_Dirt_Cheap__(2003_remaster)
              /1976_Highway_to_Hell__(2003_remaster)
              /1977_Let_There_Be_Rock
          /Adele
              /2008_19__(Deluxe_Edition)_MP3
              /2008_19__FLAC
     ... etc

which for me is easy to understand, and all the music players I have tried seem to navigate it well.

There may be other approaches for permanently storing e-music collections, but this is simple and robust.

re FLAC ...the cryptonym stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec. It's been around in a stable form since 2001. It is wasn't truly lossless, there would have been a rather large hubbub about it by now. It's an open format so the code that does the work is not proprietary and hidden from the public. You can trust that FLAC really is lossless.

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #54 of 168
can one burn a new CD from a .flac file the same as a .wav file?

Puhleaze, folks, don't "ask" why do that?

Feb 13, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #56 of 168
Yes I think is exactly what happened. I am using WAV. I think when I did find the file that appeared to be album data, it was a FLAC rip. 

Sorry, but basically I am sceptical about FLAC being truly lossless. I think I would prefer to use the WAV files if I can get it. Maybe I should just use FLAC and accept it with EAC.

Thank you again, many big thanks.

FLAC is 100% lossless. It's an open source/non-partisan format that's been proven for 15+ years.

FLAC is compressed. In theory, there could be a slight sq difference vs. WAV via decompressing, but very unlikely using the gear that's used by people on Headfi. Additionally, all of the HD music besides DSD I have is in FLAC (24 bit). Seems like they would use a different format if there were inherent problems with FLAC.

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #58 of 168
Anyway I have three days left to choose about getting JRiver. I think I might try the other free ones I found before paying money for JRiver. I mean JRiver is OK as a music player but it's poor as a video player. I get regular stalling for a second and miss a bit. I think it's a lot of money, but it does mean a lot less messing about trying other players.

I think my problem is that I bought the Chord Mojo. I need a music player where I can insert silence at the start of a new album. Otherwise the Mojo mutes the first second sometimes. Stupid DAC. I can't work out why they implemented this. Their excuse is that without muting you get pops and bangs when changing sampling rate. However my Meridian Explorer works perfectly.

I was thinking really hard about the WAV and FLAC rips I made. I clealry remember a rip with a file that had a file that I thought was the artwork and track listing. I was using EAC and as explained it just didn't work using WAV. However I tired to rip to FLAC in EAC and found I had given up on it before. EAC is not working with the FLAC ripper I downloaded. Therefor I think the FLAC rip I made that had the artwork file, I might have made in JRiver.

Feb 14, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #59 of 168
    My opinion about Jriver is opposite from yours. I think Jriver is a okay music player with good interface (several ones like Signalyst HQPlayer, Bughead Emperor, JPlaymini, Daphile on linux are better), but in terms of movie I think it is the best, but you need to know how to config.

For video config, you need to go to Tools>> Options>> Video and changing Video Mode to Custom Video Mode. In Custom Video Mode, you change the option Start with the following settings to Red October HQ, and after that download madvr video renderer and use this with Jriver
  https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/MadVR
    This setting need a lot of CPU power but the quality of video is significantly improved.

Use can use madvr with something like Media Classics Player, but the sound quality from Jriver is better than any film-watching player I have used (Media Classics, Windows Media Players, VLC, Splash Pro,...)

Feb 15, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #60 of 168
      My opinion about Jriver is opposite from yours. I think Jriver is a okay music player with good interface (several ones like Signalyst HQPlayer, Bughead Emperor, JPlaymini, Daphile on linux are better), but in terms of movie I think it is the best, but you need to know how to config.

For video config, you need to go to Tools>> Options>> Video and changing Video Mode to Custom Video Mode. In Custom Video Mode, you change the option Start with the following settings to Red October HQ, and after that download madvr video renderer and use this with Jriver
  https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/MadVR
    This setting need a lot of CPU power but the quality of video is significantly improved.

Use can use madvr with something like Media Classics Player, but the sound quality from Jriver is better than any film-watching player I have used (Media Classics, Windows Media Players, VLC, Splash Pro,...)

Interesting.

However my bad. I found that the issue with JRiver causing glitches in playback may be the recording. I used Windows Media Player and saw the same video recording produced an error in the same place. It was in fact a different error but in the same place. In Jriver it was a pause in playback. In WMP, it was a break up of picture and it went a little pixelated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back