JRiver Media Center 19 is better!
Jun 30, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #106 of 178

Well I have emails crash dump logs to an email address given by one of the lads and havent heard anything for a week now I think. On the forum I have been given pointers by one of the lads which I appreciate and have been going through them. But the process is too much of trial and error stuff. I am luck I know a thing or two about IT but I have no doubt if someone who is just a regular pc user gets the kind of crashes I have been having, that will be jriver out of the window altogether because they will have no clue what to do- that I have no doubt. You reference to "active forum and one of the designers often answers posts directly.." mad me laugh, very misleading but well tried.

Perhaps if you stated in some detail exactly what problem you are having you might find a solution here.There are many Jriver users on this forum that would be happy to share.

Jul 1, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #107 of 178
If you are right that the majority of users are not technically astute, then I feel for them should they have an issue with jriver. But in fairness, I have used the program for nearly two years without any issues. Its just when issues arise, you need to solve them quickly. In fact, when you factor in time you spend trying to resolve an issue when it arises, I would argue that your previous reference to paying less and avoid the premium for support doesnt really hold water as time spent solving and troubleshooting an issue probably far outweighs what one might pay for support in the price of software. The software company like jriver can use economies of scale to keep that premium to a minimum.

Jul 3, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #108 of 178
I agree Jriver is a king of paid player.
I try in the past old version, and I forgot. I use foobar and vlc.
But since I learn dsd file, I know Jriver realllly good ver19

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #109 of 178
I have a workflow question for JRMC users here.  Right now when I add new music, I first open the files in JRMC, then I highlight them and select "Rename, Move & Copy Files" (to get them sorted into my music directory properly), then I hit "import" from the right-clock menu.  That gets them named properly and integrated into my library.  How do you all add files?

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #110 of 178
When importing new files there are a couple of considerations.
How to find them in your library?
Downloads often comes with booklets and cover art or to put it more technically PDF, JPG, TXT etc.
How to keep them together?

My work flow is to put all new files in a subdir of C:\USERS\Vincent\Work
I configure auto import to
  1. watch this folder
  2. import all kind of file types

I have a view New.
In rules for file display it point to C:\USERS\Vincent\Work

After tagging, listening, etc I use the library tool rename/move/copy to transfer them to their final destination.

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #113 of 178
I like the purist approach. All the effects are turned off and output is WASAPI, no need for  these software "enhancements" , let the hardware do its job.

+1

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #114 of 178
JRiver's enhancements are truly excellent, though.

I've normalized relative gain on my tracks with R128, and now I don't have to turn the amp up and down between songs.  The full dynamic range is preserved, but it adjusts the overall output level on a track-by-track basis.  Very cool.

I've also followed a very useful guide here on Head-Fi on EQ'ing headphones based on equal loudness response using a sine sweep and pink noise.  It's intended to help compensate for your particular hearing, and the effects are really tremendous.  

I can turn all the processing off with the push of a button, but I prefer to listen to a calibrated, gain-matched system.  It's like wearing a tailored suit instead of a great suit off the rack.

Jul 23, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #115 of 178
Has anyone ever seen incorrect meta-data (the album name) on a commercial CD?
This happened to me with a Time Life CD when I loaded it with Jriver. 
It conflicted with a correctly named album, but was smart enough to put it in a sub-folder, so I can use it as a playlist I name myself.

Aug 2, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #118 of 178
  Jriver 20 is now being offered prior to release. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks

I think their constant release trend is more a matter financial matter than a true upgrade. This may be the one release that proves me wrong, but in the past they have had an upgrade once or twice a month with only very minor changes. Still, it's a great program.

Aug 2, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #119 of 178
i bought MC19 for Mac and decided to pay for the intro upgrade price to MC20 but it is kinda strange continually paying for software especially when they do not list what the new version will bring with it.  for example there is chatter about it supporting cd burning as a goal but really does anyone still use cds?  i surely don't.  i would much rather they fix the repeats in the play doctor feature and the volume leveling which does not also allow adaptive gain to be enabled as well. volume leveling alone drops the volume considerably requiring my amp to be turned up around 30% higher for the same output which introduces higher gain/ higher noise of the amp, lower snr of the source.  ok lets assume that isn't a problem (iTunes doesn't do this even while volume leveling and outputs a much hotter signal) the issue then occurs when i watch a web video through a browser and boom the volume now knocks me out.  It is pretty jarring.

i do like the headphone crossfeed dsp option though but it does not seem very noticeable such as the crossfeed on my ol' HeadRoom amp did.  Would like to integrate some nicer external dsp effects with hotkey access to changing the settings between different headphones or speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back