JRiver Media Center 19 is better!
Aug 3, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #122 of 178
I don't believe in using software like jplay 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 3, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #123 of 178
Buying a new version of JRiver is not like buying other software.  You pay on a subscription model, and your payment allows you access to the next year's worth of updates.  Your current version won't stop working if you don't upgrade, but it also won't benefit from new features.  The catch is, we don't know what those features will be yet.

You can view every improvement, fix, and new feature added during the last year here, and it's frankly a pretty decent list.  Big ones for me were real time DSD output conversion, R128 volume analysis, DSD format conversion, and XBMC-format .nfo tag recognition.  I use at least one of those things daily, and I'm looking forward to seeing what new features they come up with this year.

Aug 3, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #124 of 178
  Buying a new version of JRiver is not like buying other software.  You pay on a subscription model, and your payment allows you access to the next year's worth of updates.  Your current version won't stop working if you don't upgrade, but it also won't benefit from new features.  The catch is, we don't know what those features will be yet.

You can view every improvement, fix, and new feature added during the last year here, and it's frankly a pretty decent list.  Big ones for me were real time DSD output conversion, R128 volume analysis, DSD format conversion, and XBMC-format .nfo tag recognition.  I use at least one of those things daily, and I'm looking forward to seeing what new features they come up with this year.

Agreed but I just hope they don't consider CD burning their big deal for the year.  Of all things they need to improve to get excited about CD burning seem a bit old school to me. Improve the UI to look like a Mac App and fix the dozen or so glaring other issues first before adding more features.

Aug 3, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #125 of 178
One new feature I would love to see which I feel would be their 'killer' feature would be if you have Shazam running in the tray and it finds the song you are playing to be significantly different then what the music file tags say it is to ask if you would like to update the music tags with whatever Shazam is saying is the truth.  I have a huge library that is not tagged properly even after running good tools like Jaikoz on it and Shazam always seems to get it right down to even the recording sessions with guest singers etc.  Would be awesome for this pair of apps to eventually fix all my music file tags.

Aug 3, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #126 of 178
  Is there anything jriver can do to improve sound quality in version 20 and on? I know the developers have a certain stance that bitperfect is bitperfect

You are right. At this point it is not about improved sound quality it is all about added features. If you don't need the added features you don't need to pay for more upgrades.

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #127 of 178
   Would be awesome for this pair of apps to eventually fix all my music file tags.

That is kind of a novel idea.  I'm incredibly uptight about tags, and every file in my collection is tagged properly, but I still think using shazam for tagging would be interesting.

I think it would be more effective as a batch tool, though as I don't know a lot of users who run shazam in the tray.  You're the first person I've ever heard of running Shazam on their own music, to be frank :)

Personally I'm very happy with the windows UI, though I've not used the mac version and can't speak to its look.  I'd like to see a way to import music more easily.  As it is, I can run the "import" tool on my tracks, but then I need to go through and request that they be renamed and moved after the fact.  A good duplicate detector would also be excellent -- most of the ones out there now don't seem to understand what someone with a large music collection considers a dupe.

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #128 of 178

That is kind of a novel idea.  I'm incredibly uptight about tags, and every file in my collection is tagged properly, but I still think using shazam for tagging would be interesting.

I think it would be more effective as a batch tool, though as I don't know a lot of users who run shazam in the tray.  You're the first person I've ever heard of running Shazam on their own music, to be frank :)

Personally I'm very happy with the windows UI, though I've not used the mac version and can't speak to its look.  I'd like to see a way to import music more easily.  As it is, I can run the "import" tool on my tracks, but then I need to go through and request that they be renamed and moved after the fact.  A good duplicate detector would also be excellent -- most of the ones out there now don't seem to understand what someone with a large music collection considers a dupe.

Yes Shazam just released a tray app for Mac and it is great.  I enjoy it because it suppliments JRiver by adding good growler notification to the song being played.  But while using it ofcourse I noticed how many songs were mis-categorized by Jaikoz on my 30k library...  It would be pretty simple to just do a song name compare with whatever Shazam indicates for the song playing.  If they are significantly different, say by some text diff percentage then pop up a box asking if the user wants to fix the song and just do it.  I have learned to trust Shazam now and would probably just select 'yes to all'.

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #130 of 178
I have a bunch of K2-mastered discs (these are not SACDs). Jriver 1.9 seems unable to analyze them and just gives me a blue circle on windows and then just hangs and dies eventually.
Any comments? Thanks in advance.

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #131 of 178
K2 is the 24 bit mastering on DVD or Blu-ray discs, right?  

EDIT:  Looked into it.  It appears it is mastered in high res, but brought back down to redbook for pressing onto CDs.  Seems that, in terms of data, a K2HD disc is the same as any other CD.  Can you play the disc in a regular CD player (not a dvd or bluray player)?

Aug 7, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #133 of 178
Yep, the K2 discs have always played fine in my other cd players. Thanks.

I have had digital files ripped from my K2HD discs play on JRiver with no problem at all. Just wondering if the issue is with the CD tray of the computer? :)

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #135 of 178
No worries. Hope it works for you. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back