JRiver Media Center 19 is better!
Aug 8, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #137 of 178
Does anyone use the equalizer in Jriver? I find myself using it to slightly reduce the highs ( -2.5 db at 6000 hz) on my Senn HD800s and a similar amount at higher frequencies on my Grado GS1000i.
I don't think I detect any distortion. Any comments? Thanks.

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #138 of 178
Does anyone use the equalizer in Jriver? I find myself using it to slightly reduce the highs ( -2.5 db at 6000 hz) on my Senn HD800s and a similar amount at higher frequencies on my Grado GS1000i.
I don't think I detect any distortion. Any comments? Thanks.

With JRiver and Foobar, I use FabFilter Pro-Q to tame down the HD800 highs on some albums. No signs of any distortions or any degradation of sound quality. EQ in the digital domain works perfectly, if used right. Haven't spend much time comparing with built-in/basic EQ plugins, I tend to prefer going with pro-audio level tools for peace of mind. On the other side, reducing the highs by just 2.5dB should be a very straightforward EQ task, so try it out with the built-in EQ and see how it works out for you.

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #139 of 178
Hey thanks for the info and the chart. (I was just using the Jriver parametric EQ so far, tuning by ear. Funny how the chart shows the drop at about the same frequency that sounded right to me.)

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #140 of 178
I have had digital files ripped from my K2HD discs play on JRiver with no problem at all. Just wondering if the issue is with the CD tray of the computer?
smily_headphones1.gif

OK, I got an LG BE14 external usb3.0 cd-rom drive (a blu-ray thing) and now the K2 discs are read and ripped just fine. Thanks for the advice!

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #141 of 178
OK, I got an LG BE14 external usb3.0 cd-rom drive (a blu-ray thing) and now the K2 discs are read and ripped just fine. Thanks for the advice!

Excellent! Glad to hear it worked out fine. :)

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #143 of 178
It's often recommended to Disable Volume to get the best sound-quality from a software player like j.river.
I did it, but as some songs play much louder than the others and I don't want to reach for the amp volume knob too often to adjust the volume, can I just use Volume Levelling option (also called Replay Gain) and still get the best sound-quality. Or using Volume Levelling destroys the whole idea of using Disabled Volume option?

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #144 of 178
their version of volume leveling, while it works to neutralize all volume levels more or less consistently it is way too heavy handed basically cutting the output level back to about 50% across the board.  This does defeat half the purpose of keeping the output level on max as you have essentially reduced 16 bits to that of a 15 bit music file.  Also since the gain is lower you must compensate your end amplifier by doubling it's gain which has the net effect of doubling the noise floor and shifting the entire gain curve into a higher typically non-linear region.  They really need a Volume Leveling output volume slider to adjust the target volume to rather then picking their arbitrary ultra-conservative value.

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #146 of 178
when i enable their volume leveling i must compensate by almost doubling the volume control on my amp for the same output.  using itunes volume leveling i only need to up the volume about 10%.  take it for what it is worth.

to me the biggest disadvantage of volume leveling especially in the jriver case (because it is so extreme) is that if i switch to watching a youtube video or answer a skype call or watch the news all the sudden my speakers and ears get blown out.  always shocks the h out of me and i have to frantically scramble for a volume control to turn it down and back up again returning to my music.

it is just to much in jriver and they really need to include a volume leveling output volume slider on the effect so i can choose how conservative it is.

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #147 of 178
I know they switches from traditional volume leveling (Replay Gain) to a more modern standard (R128)
Maybe you audio simply needs to be reanalyzed for R128 because what you are describing is really excessive.

JRiver recommends to use Volume Leveling together with Adaptive Volume, wouldn't be surprised if enabling Adaptive Volume brings everything back to normal

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #148 of 178
  when i enable their volume leveling i must compensate by almost doubling the volume control on my amp for the same output.  using itunes volume leveling i only need to up the volume about 10%.  take it for what it is worth.

to me the biggest disadvantage of volume leveling especially in the jriver case (because it is so extreme) is that if i switch to watching a youtube video or answer a skype call or watch the news all the sudden my speakers and ears get blown out.  always shocks the h out of me and i have to frantically scramble for a volume control to turn it down and back up again returning to my music.

it is just to much in jriver and they really need to include a volume leveling output volume slider on the effect so i can choose how conservative it is.

I know they switches from traditional volume leveling (Replay Gain) to a more modern standard (R128)
Maybe you audio simply needs to be reanalyzed for R128 because what you are describing is really excessive.

JRiver recommends to use Volume Leveling together with Adaptive Volume, wouldn't be surprised if enabling Adaptive Volume brings everything back to normal

Thanks for the answers.

I wonder if using Volume Leveling together with Adaptive Volume is worth it or I'd better go back to Internal Volume and switch off Volume Levelling and Adaptive Volume? Which solution will be better for the sound quality?

I would also like to ask if up-sampling can improve sound quality or there is no clear benefit here.

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #149 of 178

Users who are viewing this thread

Back