Jomo Audio Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 26, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #106 of 686
I've contacted Jomo for a loaner demo, should be sent soon and arriving in about two weeks or so.

I'm hopeful as a fan of the Samba, but at the S$3000 price tag it will be under a lot of scrutiny.

Oh nice! I wish I was an official consultant for head-fi too...

I would have loved to have some time to demo the flamenco before making my purchase decision. Looking forward to your review.

Mar 26, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #107 of 686
Oh nice! I wish I was an official consultant for head-fi too...

I would have loved to have some time to demo the flamenco before making my purchase decision. Looking forward to your review.

Well at least you're in Jomo's hometown, you can always hop down to Music Sanctuary and try it out to your heart's content :)

Unfortunately I won't be in Singapore for quite a while so I'll have to rely on loaner demos to stay up-to-date. I usually don't do this; most of the time I'll drop by MS, Jaben or any of the plethora of audio shops scattered around the island to try out new stuff.

Mar 26, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #108 of 686

Well at least you're in Jomo's hometown, you can always hop down to Music Sanctuary and try it out to your heart's content :)

Unfortunately I won't be in Singapore for quite a while so I'll have to rely on loaner demos to stay up-to-date. I usually don't do this; most of the time I'll drop by MS, Jaben or any of the plethora of audio shops scattered around the island to try out new stuff.

The demo at MS, the treble switch on one side doesn't work. Not sure if it affected the both switch down sound as well.
They do have another demo but it's at repair atm... :frowning2:

Apr 1, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #109 of 686
So one pair of Samba arrived, but from my SOny ZX2(EU version) I'm getting serious hiss(I'm really sensitive to this). Can anyone recommend some nice pairing, that would be as quiet as possible with Samba?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Apr 8, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #111 of 686
My Flamenco loaner just came in today. Glamour shots coming soon, but for now here's some measurements on the effects of the switches.

Initial impressions
Extremely clean with insane amounts of detail easily comparable to the Empire Ears Zeus. Rather similar to the Jomo Samba too, almost like a refined, upgraded version of it. Preferred configuration is with the treble switch off and the bass switch on.

A clear departure from its direct local competitor, the AAW W900. Most of what I've said about the Samba vs the W900 can be applied to the Flamenco in my review, though of course with some slight differences that I'll address in a full review.

Also, horrible switch placement on this demo universal unit. Absolutely horrendous. I mean look at it:

They poke my tragus constantly and is easily the most uncomfortable high-end shell I've ever had the pleasure of putting into my ears. I hope the commercial universals and customs don't have the same design 'cause that is a very big issue in my books.

Still though, the sound out of these things are good. Very good. More to come as I listen to them in the coming days.

9/4 EDIT: I've been informed that the switch placement on the universal shells have been comfortable for most and I'm the outlier. But, I'll leave my initial impressions up as it's still an indication of what I experienced out of the box.

Apr 8, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #112 of 686
My Flamenco loaner just came in today. Glamour shots coming soon, but for now here's some measurements on the effects of the switches.

Hope you're enjoying yours. I must say that I'm loving mine the more i use it.

Altho, the custom versions do indeed, as you have mentioned , use a different switch location. The demos have them there for ease of access for the purpose of changing settings without having to remove it from your ears(I'm guessing). Customs have the switch in the cymba.

Apr 8, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #114 of 686
Music Sanctuary gave 3 cable choices for the Jomo Flamenco. Does anyone has impressions on the synergy? :)

I actually got a 4 wire 1960 with the flamenco as part of a package bundle. However, that 4 wire is going to my dita dream.

For this, I suspect that the 2 wire 1960 would be best, because that will enhance that nice mid focused vocal signature, rather than pull it wide and change the focus of the flamenco.

However, I must state a caveat, that my flamenco sounds a little different from most people, because it has no switches. Switches, will degrade the sound regardless of what is done, and I know that I liked it best with both switches off. So...my opinions are based of a non-standard flamenco, as I imagine that most people would like the leave the switches on(no discount for removed switches).

I dare say, however, that with all the switches removed, it stands head to head in detail retrieval to the mighty zeus. Something, which I find myself rather surprised, a pleasant discovery, but surprising none the less. I never thought, or bought this with the intention of having an iem with zeus Lvl resolution. I just loved its fun and lush mids....and now i have details and resolution too

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #115 of 686
I actually got a 4 wire 1960 with the flamenco as part of a package bundle. However, that 4 wire is going to my dita dream.

For this, I suspect that the 2 wire 1960 would be best, because that will enhance that nice mid focused vocal signature, rather than pull it wide and change the focus of the flamenco.

However, I must state a caveat, that my flamenco sounds a little different from most people, because it has no switches. Switches, will degrade the sound regardless of what is done, and I know that I liked it best with both switches off. So...my opinions are based of a non-standard flamenco, as I imagine that most people would like the leave the switches on(no discount for removed switches).

I dare say, however, that with all the switches removed, it stands head to head in detail retrieval to the mighty zeus. Something, which I find myself rather surprised, a pleasant discovery, but surprising none the less. I never thought, or bought this with the intention of having an iem with zeus Lvl resolution. I just loved its fun and lush mids....and now i have details and resolution too

Hi,
Since you own both the TOTL on top of my list to demo before pulling the trigger, could give a brief sound comparison between the Flamenco and the Dream.
For info, if none of them convince me, the Katana and Prophile 8 are the next 2 on my list.

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #116 of 686

I tested the InEar PP8 with different switch positions. The sound was not a bit degraded by that! I guess that if the switches are implemented "right", it should not degrade the sound. If the Flamenco did indeed degrade the sound when the switches were "on" then that's a big problem, especially for that price.

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #117 of 686
I tested the InEar PP8 with different switch positions. The sound was not a bit degraded by that! I guess that if the switches are implemented "right", it should not degrade the sound. If the Flamenco did indeed degrade the sound when the switches were "on" then that's a big problem, especially for that price.

Hmm, I dont think I was as clear as I could have been. What I was trying to say, was not that the switch in its 'on' position degraded the sound. Rather, simply having the switches as part of the electronic component chain, regardless of position, will every so slightly degrade the sonic signature, and that degradation was to me, easily perceivable, because the Flamenco is in itself so detailed in its retrieval that small changes are easily picked up. This, was by comparing two custom units, one with the standard switches implemented, and mine which was simply a direct wire connection without a switch in the middle. I guess that this is only a problem, because the Flamenco is in itself so capable, that minor changes are easily noticed; something that other iems may just hide due to difference in tuning philosophy or performance. Talk about a first world problem......

I am pretty sure that, if you decided to stick to a single setting and just forgo the switch board for a direct wire connection from jack-->resistor network-->BA, as opposed jack-->switch-->resistor network-->BA, you should squeeze out even more performance out of your PP8! The PP8 in itself is very reference and detailed, so I am sure that the same phenomenon I noticed with the Flamenco, will happen in the switchless PP8 too, if they ever decided to make one that is haha. 

Personally, I would rather buy multiple IEMS to cover all bases in its absolute best form (which is why I have the dita dream, Flamenco and an another IEM that is incoming), than go for the middle ground compromise (small, but a compromise none the less) with a switch. But, in the demo unit, even with a switch and universal shell, its performance was still enough to convince me to buy this over many other TOTLs, just based on its performance alone, so that says something. 

However, as much as I praise the PP8, i found myself very turned off by it for the same reasons I decided to forgo the switches on the Flamenco. The PP8 is my idea of a reference signature detail retrieval monster, but for that purpose, I would much rather get a UERR, by virtue of the fact that it not only does a better job (in my opinion) because its design philosophy is explicitly orientated for that purpose, but can also be had in a custom form. None of these are present in the PP8. While I think that the PP8 is amazing, inside it exists a compromise in its sound performance to inject in versatility, and that is to me a big no-no. Its also one reason why i find myself rather unimpressed with the, e.g. Empire XR, as opposed to the separate Empire Zeus XIV and R iems. 

Apr 8, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #118 of 686

Hmm, I dont think I was as clear as I could have been. What I was trying to say, was not that the switch in its 'on' position degraded the sound. Rather, simply having the switches as part of the electronic component chain, regardless of position, will every so slightly degrade the sonic signature, and that degradation was to me, easily perceivable, because the Flamenco is in itself so detailed in its retrieval that small changes are easily picked up. This, was by comparing two custom units, one with the standard switches implemented, and mine which was simply a direct wire connection without a switch in the middle. I guess that this is only a problem, because the Flamenco is in itself so capable, that minor changes are easily noticed; something that other iems may just hide due to difference in tuning philosophy or performance. Talk about a first world problem......

I am pretty sure that, if you decided to stick to a single setting and just forgo the switch board for a direct wire connection from jack-->resistor network-->BA, as opposed jack-->switch-->resistor network-->BA, you should squeeze out even more performance out of your PP8! The PP8 in itself is very reference and detailed, so I am sure that the same phenomenon I noticed with the Flamenco, will happen in the switchless PP8 too, if they ever decided to make one that is haha. 

Personally, I would rather buy multiple IEMS to cover all bases in its absolute best form (which is why I have the dita dream, Flamenco and an another IEM that is incoming), than go for the middle ground compromise (small, but a compromise none the less) with a switch. But, in the demo unit, even with a switch and universal shell, its performance was still enough to convince me to buy this over many other TOTLs, just based on its performance alone, so that says something. 

However, as much as I praise the PP8, i found myself very turned off by it for the same reasons I decided to forgo the switches on the Flamenco. The PP8 is my idea of a reference signature detail retrieval monster, but for that purpose, I would much rather get a UERR, by virtue of the fact that it not only does a better job (in my opinion) because its design philosophy is explicitly orientated for that purpose, but can also be had in a custom form. None of these are present in the PP8. While I think that the PP8 is amazing, inside it exists a compromise in its sound performance to inject in versatility, and that is to me a big no-no. Its also one reason why i find myself rather unimpressed with the, e.g. Empire XR, as opposed to the separate Empire Zeus XIV and R iems. 

Thanks for your detailed clarification. What I don´t understand then is, how can there be a difference in the sound, when with one IEM there are no switches and in the other one there are switches but they are turned off (no bass or treble boost), because isn´t the neutral switch position like having a bypass? How can a simple bypass alter the sound? But if you heard it then I guess it´s there. Just don´t know why and how a bypass wire can compromise the sound so much so it´s perceivable. 

Apr 8, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #119 of 686

Thanks for your detailed clarification. What I don´t understand then is, how can there be a difference in the sound, when with one IEM there are no switches and in the other one there are switches but they are turned off (no bass or treble boost), because isn´t the neutral switch position like having a bypass? How can a simple bypass alter the sound? But if you heard it then I guess it´s there. Just don´t know why and how a bypass wire can compromise the sound so much so it´s perceivable. 

I get your position where it shouldnt make a difference, but, we already know that a difference in grounding chasis in a player affects the sound background (1Z, 380CU), so let alone a relay point in the middle which involves breaking up the wire's continuous stranding, additional solder points and moving parts. You'll be surprised at how much better the PP8 can sound if you decided to take it apart and rewire the drivers. 

Apr 8, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #120 of 686
I get your position where it shouldnt make a difference, but, we already know that a difference in grounding chasis in a player affects the sound background (1Z, 380CU), so let alone a relay point in the middle which involves breaking up the wire's continuous stranding, additional solder points and moving parts. You'll be surprised at how much better the PP8 can sound if you decided to take it apart and rewire the drivers. 

Got it. Did you rewire the PP8? Or was it only a rhetorical question? :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back