JKenny Audio Ciúnas DAC and Ciúnas SPDIF
May 29, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #106 of 598
Quote:
Great comments, especially for those on the fence.  My overall experience was not much different.  I had the DAC-2 and while its SPDIF is very good, the USB is just good, not great.  As you say, it sounds like a machine.  You get used to it and unless you know it can get better then you live with it.  I did try the DAC-2 with M2Tech Hiface 2 and there was an improvement to dynamics, sounded less digital.  I imagine the JKenny Ciunas USB-to-SPDIF would take USB to a whole new level.  

I wouldn't say the Ciunas sounded terrible out of the box.  At the start It sounds as good or better than other DACs via USB input.  Again, if you've heard a great sounding DAC via USB then you'll have a different experience than those of us who have lived with typical USB audio quality.  I've never heard the Paradisea.     

=====================

How would you compare DAC-2 SPDIF out with Ciunas USB?
THanks..

May 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #107 of 598
That's a little difficult because the input I primarily used to the DAC-2 was USB or USB-to-SPDIF vs straight SPDIF to DAC-2 using something like a CD player.  The Ciunas sounds better via USB than USB-to-SPDIF on the DAC-2 with the converter I was using.  The reason there could be the quality of the converter.  The M2Tech Hiface 2 while having good price to performance wasn't probably the best one could do with a converter.  On occasion I have tried CD players/transports with the DAC-2 and was pleasantly rewarded.  It's really an excellent DAC.  One could easily be happy with the DAC-2 and its multiple inputs, especially with the recently released USB upgrade or one goes out and buys a high end USB converter.  As far as big sweeping statements, I feel the Ciunas is more detailed and less edgier than the DAC-2 which isn't a bad thing.  The DAC-2 really comes across as musical.  Ciunas is also musical but holds some back in order to come across as refined.  Hard to describe with my limited audio vocabulary.  In terms of aggressiveness of sound, DAC-2 > Ciunas > Anedio D2.  I'd have to think about what this aggressiveness means....more pronounced highs and lows along with more forwardness?  Or better yet, the Ciunas hits the mark in regards to the mix of being musical and analytical.  There are no hard edges to the music coming from the Ciunas.   

Naturally, take all of this with a grain of salt because I was using different amps and headphones with these two DACs.  This is why I don't write reviews.  
biggrin.gif
  To make better comparisons I would need the same headphones and amps with both the DAC-2 and Ciunas.  I think anyone who needs multiple inputs should consider the DAC-2.  Anybody who wants a stripped down great sounding USB DAC should consider the Ciunas.  If I hadn't ended up with the Ciunas there would have been a good chance I would have bought another DAC-2.    

Quote:
How would you compare DAC-2 SPDIF out with Ciunas USB?

May 29, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #109 of 598
Quote:
Very interesting. Thanks.

Have you since tried listening again without JPlay (Xtreme)? If so, did you find yourself back to "nothing special"?

I have gone back to listen to the Ciunas w/o JPlay particularly after a warning came up while trying to integrate JRiver and JPlay with JRiver saying that it detected JPlay and that I should disable it immediately because JPlay is a hoax (JRiver literally uses that word, which is rather distasteful). So, I disabled JPlay just to see -- JPlay sounds better than JRiver; enough said.

Regarding my comments that Ciunas + JPlay make a wonderful digital source, I don't mean to belittle the contribution of the Ciunas. True the Ciunas w/o JPlay does not sound as good - big deal. After all, a better transport (in other words, JPlay) should produce better results from a given DAC, and it certainly does. You can look at it as though using a relatively inferior transport (not JPlay), is limiting the Ciunas' ability to shine as opposed to looking at it as JPlay is doing all the work and any DAC added to it would produce the same results. That being said, I don't have another DAC here to compare, so I can't say.

Regarding the JPlay trial. It allows you to use it for an indefinite period of time, however there are random few-second pauses of music here and there. Yes it's annoying, but you can evaluate it to your hearts content w/o feeling forced to fork over $130 USD until you're absolutely ready and certain that it's worth it for you to do so. How many other high-end components allow you to instantly try 'em out on a whim -- imagine if I can download a pair of Wilson Alexandrias with the only caveat being that music drops out for a few seconds every couple of minutes.... I would download the Alexandrias!

May 29, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #110 of 598
I will definitely download JPlay again and do the trial.  No doubt about it.  I forget if the trial stops the songs completely or a pause and then return to the music.  However, there is a lot of more expensive software I can download as a full version, no interruptions: Adobe Creative Suite, Endnote, Graphpad Prism, Geneious, Sony Vegas Pro, SigmaPlot, Noise Ninja, Capture NX2, etc.  Way more expensive software with full version trials.  Not hard to do.  The JPlay trial won't be as bad I recall if the pause doesn't stop the track completely.  As for Wilson Alexandrias, at those prices you should get a full demo 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Regarding the JPlay trial. It allows you to use it for an indefinite period of time, however there are random few-second pauses of music here and there. Yes it's annoying, but you can evaluate it to your hearts content w/o feeling forced to fork over $130 USD until you're absolutely ready and certain that it's worth it for you to do so. How many other high-end components allow you to instantly try 'em out on a whim -- imagine if I can download a pair of Wilson Alexandrias with the only caveat being that music drops out for a few seconds every couple of minutes.... I would download the Alexandrias!

May 30, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #111 of 598
Appreciate the updates guys. Thanks.

Mmwwhats good point comparing jplay to a transport.
Look forward to your findings with jplay WNBC.

May 30, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #112 of 598
I own the jkdac32, balanced Havana , MF m1 DAC , owned the DAC magic, violectric v800, stello da 100 sig, I have also listened to mark Levinson mode 360s DAC , bel canto 3, and a few other DACs , I have not heard anything better than the ciunas with dac32 and the 360s as a closed second. I also had Ap1 with pp running into Havana , this combo was great, and the ciunas is even better.
Smoother, more detail, more air around the instruments and a blacker background , soundstage that is deeper than anything I heard.
I also have head CD players in the 15k range and they r not even close to the ciunas or even the dac32. Mr John Kenney is a noble prize winner in my book

May 30, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #113 of 598
Excellent customer service to go along with the Ciunas.  It does help when we all give our perspectives to include what we've used in the past.  I've never heard a $15K CD player.  Good to know the Ciunas is up there with the big boys.  I did have the Oppo BDP-105 and while very excellent and versatile it is leaner in sound than the Ciunas.  Ciunas strikes this great balance between detail and dynamics.  

Quote:
I own the jkdac32, balanced Havana , MF m1 DAC , owned the DAC magic, violectric v800, stello da 100 sig, I have also listened to mark Levinson mode 360s DAC , bel canto 3, and a few other DACs , I have not heard anything better than the ciunas with dac32 and the 360s as a closed second. I also had Ap1 with pp running into Havana , this combo was great, and the ciunas is even better.
Smoother, more detail, more air around the instruments and a blacker background , soundstage that is deeper than anything I heard.
I also have head CD players in the 15k range and they r not even close to the ciunas or even the dac32. Mr John Kenney is a noble prize winner in my book

May 31, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #114 of 598
I'm surprised there's not more Ciúnas converter users with feedback. I heard both new units overly smooths some detail a little to sound more analog? I was hoping to get info to make buying decision on the converter because I don't want to trade resolution for air/soundstage improvement.

Since the mk3 has all the glowing reviews I was ready to buy it but the Ciúnas with new design can't piggyback on the mk3 reputation IMO! So I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on a blind purchase.

Help

May 31, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #116 of 598
Where did you hear this?

I agree with your desire for info to help make your decision. It's a reasonable assumption that we can successfully communicate parts of our audio experience to each other, despite obvious differences in how we all hear and listen.

I heard both new units overly smooths some detail a little to sound more analog? I was hoping to get info to make buying decision on the converter because I don't want to trade resolution for air/soundstage improvement.

Help

May 31, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #117 of 598
These were a few comments on the MK3 in comparison to AP, RefLink and several more highend converters. I do want a analog flavor so those comparisons seemed ok but my concern is if John's redesign is to smooth the edges further it could be a problem. I have studio monitor for a analytical base sound, tube dac to reduce it with warmth by tube rolling. My goal now is to tighten everything up from my source via the converter not dramatically change SQ signature. In reading about the MK3 comparisons I thought it maybe would be a 5-10% increase in what a call (analog,warmth, smoothing) of the SQ, which is my limit but perfect.

I'm just concerned that soundstage, air, black background and smooth all terms used to describe John's brilliant products could be to much for my chain if the redesign improves on those areas especially smooth. I was hoping to hear resolution quality of the Ciúnas mentioned vs MK3 or JKDacs.

Sorry for the failure to describe my thoughts I've been a audio hifi fan a long time but new to digital and communicating sound impressions to others.

May 31, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #118 of 598
Makes sense.  I actually ordered the converter but then changed my order to the DAC after some discussions with John.  You should write him with your concerns.  In my rig of Ciunas > Amphora or Pioneer SX-1010 > TH-600 I don't feel any lack of details compared to my previous DACs.  It is smooth and that creates a less digital sounding experience but this is due to the very good USB implementation.  But it is an excellent balance between smooth and detail that sounds great to my ears.  I am curious to hear what a tube amp might sound like which gets to the heart of your question that being, in some rigs you don't want too much smoothness coming through.  With that said, when I was running a DAC-2 > Decware Taboo > HE-500 I didn't feel my tube amp held back any details coming from the DAC-2.

Good question though.  The DAC is more popular than the converter at the moment?   

Quote:
These were a few comments on the MK3 in comparison to AP, RefLink and several more highend converters. I do want a analog flavor so those comparisons seemed ok but my concern is if John's redesign is to smooth the edges further it could be a problem. I have studio monitor for a analytical base sound, tube dac to reduce it with warmth by tube rolling. My goal now is to tighten everything up from my source via the converter not dramatically change SQ signature. In reading about the MK3 comparisons I thought it maybe would be a 5-10% increase in what a call (analog,warmth, smoothing) of the SQ, which is my limit but perfect.

I'm just concerned that soundstage, air, black background and smooth all terms used to describe John's brilliant products could be to much for my chain if the redesign improves on those areas especially smooth. I was hoping to hear resolution quality of the Ciúnas mentioned vs MK3 or JKDacs.

Sorry for the failure to describe my thoughts I've been a audio hifi fan a long time but new to digital and communicating sound impressions to others.

May 31, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #119 of 598
Thanks SwanSong. Good impressions and good questions.

For me it's between Lynx Hilo, Anedio D2 and Ciunas DAC.

To my surprise I found distinct differences in a 2011 comparative review I did of several midrange/mid-price dacs: Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC, Meier Stagedac and Schiit Bifrost. On a whim I added the Beresford Bushmaster last year, finding yet another distinct sound (closest to the Meier) and a genuinely high performer in this company.

So my search is for something that substantially exceeds these DACs in one or more respects, and is overall neutral and revealing. Microdynamics (something the Stagedac does well, most noticeable with vocals) is a key part of the wish-list. (Not asking much :D)

WNBC - I think it's quite a recommendation for the Ciunas if you don't notice a lack of detail wrt (e.g.) the D2!

May 31, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #120 of 598
I was referring to the W4S DAC-2.  The Anedio D2 was a short lived experiment.  I can't say the Ciunas is more detailed than the Anedio D2.  I can say the Ciunas is livelier and more dynamic but I also used the D2's own internal amp and didn't use a separate amp like I'm using now with the Ciunas + Amphora.  Too many variables going on, comparisons are tough.  I guess if you're looking at the D2, DAC-2, or Ciunas you really can't go wrong.  In my mind each has its advantages.  The Ciunas really is a top tier USB DAC.  Competitively priced, small footprint.  If you want a DAC with multiple inputs and is pretty detailed w/ a headphone amp then the Anedio D2 is an excellent choice.  The USB implementation is good but not at the level of the Ciunas.  The D2 was a little too polite for me but if I had a separate amp for it at the time maybe my opinion would change.  But then you're paying for that amp section in the D2.  If you're not going to use it then it's wasted.  I guess one statement I can say is that I've owned all three, D2, DAC-2, and Ciunas, thrown in the Oppo BDP-105 as well.  They all had multiple features I thought it was nice to have but really I'm going to be a computer audio guy.  I have no regrets that I've ended up with the Ciunas.  It works for me.    

Quote:
WNBC - I think it's quite a recommendation for the Ciunas if you don't notice a lack of detail wrt (e.g.) the D2!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back