JKenny Audio Ciúnas DAC and Ciúnas SPDIF
May 17, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #76 of 598
am really tempted by this dac.
my current set-up of hiface2 into meier stagedac, sounds great , when it's working.

i doubt the problem is anything to do with the stagedac. i just think the hiface2 driver is probably cack.
i cannot justify the price of the jkspdif, but the dac is a cost effective option, as i could offset the cost by selling my hiface2 and stagedac (it will stick in my throat to sell the latter though)

i dont suppose anyone has had experience with my current setup components, and can confirm this change would also offer sonic improvements, as well as getting rid of the annoying driver issues?

May 17, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #77 of 598
As you probably know, I rate the stagedac very highly. Its exceptionally neutral and balanced and just competently done all-round.

But the ciunas has similarly clever thinking and could offer something quite different. Might be outstanding in some specific areas, as suggested by grunter's impressions of the jkdac32 here and in the Hilo thread, and alancohen's impression above. It has me very interested.

May 17, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #78 of 598
Btw, iirc there are reviews that found the jkspdif a significant improvement over the hi face., e.g. John Darko's site. This review predates i think JD's increasing turn toward flowery language and beating about the bush!

May 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #79 of 598
problem for me is timing/finances

i am currently trying to find the funds for a set of lcd2 (r2), and could well do without the problems in a part of my system that i had thought was "sorted".

dont know if my amp will get the best out of the lcd2 either , and so it goes on 
confused.gif

that "taboo" amp of yours looks "the muts nuts" btw, but way out of my league.

May 17, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #80 of 598
Ah yes, finances. Give it time - you'll get there :wink:

Yes the taboo is spectacular. Unfortunately the new model III is much more $. Otoh, buying 2nd hand you can get it factory checked and a new lifetime warranty issued to the new buyer.

Anyways, sorry off topic.

May 17, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #81 of 598
Quote:
Alancohen, tantalizing impression thanks. But "revamp my library"...? Sorry, don't understand. In what way does ciunas require you to revamp your library?

TIA.

Like I mentioned, I'm am very new into this computer music server world. Most of my library** still consists of {cough} MP3 files. I was actually almost stupid enough a few years ago to throw out my entire CD collection after downloading to iTunes. I figured I didn't need them any more. I did not know the difference in a .wav file from an MP3 file.

Good thing I didn't, but I'm still in the process of erasing all my previously downloaded music and replacing them with Apple Lossless files. My iTunes library is a mess, especailly since the Cloud got involved. I have songs listed 3 times and 1000 songs called 'Blank' that I have no idea where they came from. 

So that's what I mean by revamp my library. I need more files that will appreciate John's handiwork. I'm open to any and all suggestions. 

**BTW, I'm old enough to remember when a library was a place you went to do research. 

May 17, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #83 of 598
Cheers alancohen. Look forward to more impressions as you get more listening done.

Libraries are still places to start research. I'm impressed though that nowadays I can carry my research library on my iPad.

May 18, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #84 of 598
I can say that I'm continuing to be increasingly happy with this DAC. For someone who needs a USB solution only I think it'll be hard to beat the Ciunas at this price range. It's a minimalistic approach but for me that's fine. All I really need is one USB input, one output,  good sound and a reasonable price. The Ciunas delivers just that. Fancy cases and elaborate designs are OK but in many instances they jack the price up significantly without actually improving the sound.
I also find it nice to be able to do business directly with the designer/manufacturer. It's a no BS approach.

May 18, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #85 of 598
^ T&C, got any more you can say now about differences between ciunas and your EE minimax?

May 18, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #86 of 598
My EE is heavily modified and does a lot of things really well - USB isn't one of them.  So  I had a V-Link 192 combined with an iFi power supply handling USB duties to the EE's S/PDIF input. All highly rated components. The Ciunas by itself betters that combo.  I've since sold the V-Link and iFi PS. I'm keeping the EE partly for sentimental reasons and for S/PDIF purposes. It is a really nice "toy" and I put a lot of effort and $$$ into modding it. It can be amazing at times but a bit unruly at others. The Ciunas is more consistent with all types of music and is what I'm listening to as I'm typing this message.

May 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #87 of 598
Thanks. I have a stock EE (not plus), and find it a bit overdone low down, thus masking some midrange detail. Otherwise, pure and clean mids. hence my interest in the comparison. Obviously your mods mean we're not talking the same EE. All the same, good to hear how the ciunas does against the ifi/vlink/EE combination.

I'm guessing neutral, transparent, detailed, lots of low-level resolving power?

May 19, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #88 of 598
from the sound of it im really really interested with this dac. but its a bit high on my budget, anyone interested to sell their jkdac32 once they have the ciunas? hit me up if you do. 

May 20, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #89 of 598
Hi T&C, the earlier power supply issues you had with SB Touch Ciunas combo, what was the resolution? Did you have to upgrade the power supply for Touch? I'll be using the same combo and I'm trying to  anticipating any issues earlier instead of getting frustrated after I receive my DAC. Thanks.

May 20, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #90 of 598
Quote:
Hi T&C, the earlier power supply issues you had with SB Touch Ciunas combo, what was the resolution? Did you have to upgrade the power supply for Touch? I'll be using the same combo and I'm trying to  anticipating any issues earlier instead of getting frustrated after I receive my DAC. Thanks.

Nothing to do with either the Touch or the Ciunas.

At first I was using a USB port on my Bluray player to charge the Ciunas which didn't work. Eventually the batteries ran low and it started to have problems locking on to the Touch's signal.

If you connect it to the Touch you need to use a separate 5V wall wart to trickle charge the batteries. If you're connecting it directly to a PC, MAC... you can simply use a spare USB port with the supplied adapter cable.  I've had mine playing all day long without any problems whatsoever since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back