JKenny Audio Ciúnas DAC and Ciúnas SPDIF
Jun 1, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #136 of 598
JKenny recommends keeping it plugged in.  One can use it off the battery but I keep mine at home and plugged in all the time.  Here is part of the manual:

Normal Operation:

• The Ciúnas DAC works completely off-grid from its internal Lithium Nano Ferrous Phosphate (LiFePO4) battery so it can be used anywhere.But it’s normal, intended usage is with trickle charging at all times (including while playing music)

• A USB charger cable is supplied with the DAC. This allows a spare USB port to be used for powering the battery charger. The DAC will be turned on automatically when both USB signal & USB charger cable are connected. Please read the notes about charging below.

• Battery charging commences when you provide 5V power to 2.1mm DC socket on the DAC. There is no switch to control charging & no need to turn off charging - it trickle charges the battery.

• Recharging of depleted battery takes overnight

• Fully charged battery will run for about 8 hours powering the device standalone.

• The specification for an external PS is 5V to 12V DC PS with 500mA to 750mA current output, 2.1mm plug, center pin positive

Charging:

The converter will be turned on automatically when both USB signal & USB charger cable are plugged into a computer. As a result the computer should not be turned off but put into sleep mode. This will ensure that the DAC is charging (once the USB ports are not powered off during sleep mode) - check using these instructions http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/usb-power-in-sleep-mode/c8ab8475-03a1-41f4-868f-e59b3ec7b2c8

If you wish to turn off the computer or leave the DAC unused then you should unplug the USB charger cable or USB signal cable to turn off the DAC.

Alternatively, you can use an external PS (5V to 12V) - the DAC is then not automatically turned on - therefore the case switch is used to turn the converter on/off.

Also note that only computers have power on their USB ports, other devices that have USB ports usually don’t.

Please ensure any external PS outputs at least 5V under load - this is often not the case with cheap, under specced  PSs. Supply  voltage below 5V will not power the battery charger adequately.

Quote:
OK,

But I still don't understand why you leave it plugged in all the time.  What's the reason for that?

Jun 1, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #137 of 598
You will need the AP2 with PP ($999 + shipping?) to go head to head with the Ciunas converter.

If money permits, get both the AP2+PP and the Ciunas and return one of the two after testing out which works better in your setup.

I wish i had it like that but its the reason I'm considering the AP I can't get a detailed comparison of Ciúnas vs Mk3 even. I am comfortable with the many reviews comparing AP vs Mk3 sound impressions. It's strange that no one is talking because there was no shortage of people glowing about the Mk1,Mk2 and Mk3. That's the reason I'm hesitant, maybe the converter competition has caught up and the new design has mostly improved the Dac version of Ciúnas?

Jun 1, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #138 of 598
Quote:
JKenny recommends keeping it plugged in.  One can use it off the battery but I keep mine at home and plugged in all the time.  Here is part of the manual:

Normal Operation:

• The Ciúnas DAC works completely off-grid from its internal Lithium Nano Ferrous Phosphate (LiFePO4) battery so it can be used anywhere.But it’s normal, intended usage is with trickle charging at all times (including while playing music)

• A USB charger cable is supplied with the DAC. This allows a spare USB port to be used for powering the battery charger. The DAC will be turned on automatically when both USB signal & USB charger cable are connected. Please read the notes about charging below.

• Battery charging commences when you provide 5V power to 2.1mm DC socket on the DAC. There is no switch to control charging & no need to turn off charging - it trickle charges the battery.

• Recharging of depleted battery takes overnight

• Fully charged battery will run for about 8 hours powering the device standalone.

• The specification for an external PS is 5V to 12V DC PS with 500mA to 750mA current output, 2.1mm plug, center pin positive

Charging:

The converter will be turned on automatically when both USB signal & USB charger cable are plugged into a computer. As a result the computer should not be turned off but put into sleep mode. This will ensure that the DAC is charging (once the USB ports are not powered off during sleep mode) - check using these instructions http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/usb-power-in-sleep-mode/c8ab8475-03a1-41f4-868f-e59b3ec7b2c8

If you wish to turn off the computer or leave the DAC unused then you should unplug the USB charger cable or USB signal cable to turn off the DAC.

Alternatively, you can use an external PS (5V to 12V) - the DAC is then not automatically turned on - therefore the case switch is used to turn the converter on/off.

Also note that only computers have power on their USB ports, other devices that have USB ports usually don’t.

Please ensure any external PS outputs at least 5V under load - this is often not the case with cheap, under specced  PSs. Supply  voltage below 5V will not power the battery charger adequately.

Thanks WNBC....

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #139 of 598
Haven't been on here in a while. Just wanted to give a quick update. I've had the Ciunas for almost 2 weeks now, burned in. I like it more than the PWD MK2 (2.2.0) and it's very competitive with my main setup involving the Ref7.1. I'm also getting the converter in a couple of days to test with the Ref.

IMO, this is one of the best values in the DAC world currently. Neutral, super fast but also liquid and smooth, with great detail and layering. The soundstage isn't as large as the Ref7.1 but it's competitive with the PWD in that regard. It's more detailed than the Ref...closer to the PWD. The PWD is the best at layering, but it's also the most congested. The Ciunas layers almost as well while sounding open.

It can run 24/7 with the trickle charger. It can be used 8ish hours on battery without any wires. Looks and functions great. The driver's solid, with no lag or interruptions like I experienced with the OR5 (it was minor in the OR, but annoying).

Buy it.

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #140 of 598
Shah,

I was just getting read to PM you.  Thanks for the impressions..  It will be very interesting to hear what you think about the converter compared to the OR5.  I've also been looking at the Alpha USB.  This one has been making a lot of noise out there..  Also the Hydra pops up every now and then..

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #141 of 598
Quote:
Shah,

I was just getting read to PM you.  Thanks for the impressions..  It will be very interesting to hear what you think about the converter compared to the OR5.  I've also been looking at the Alpha USB.  This one has been making a lot of noise out there..  Also the Hydra pops up every now and then..

I'll report back once I get it.
Don't know anything about the Hydra, but the Alpha I've heard good things about as well. I don't know if it's better than the OR5. On audio-circle, the impressions were exactly the opposite and I somewhat doubted the credibility of the Alpha proponents.
Anyways, I've never tried it, so I can't be sure.

For the thread, I forgot to mention I had a Downsize upgraded EE Minimax with lots of opamps/tubes. My favourite combo was the 4 x LME49990 + Tungsram E80CC tube. It was a very enjoyable DAC that I also liked nearly as much as the Ref. But, it had its flaws ie. a slightly rounded, slowish sound with less distinct layering than the top SS DACs. Its sound was very forgiving though, with its smooth treble, magical mids and plump but rhythmic bass.

Jun 1, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #142 of 598
I see you have a HE-6.  That could be my next headphone.  Ciunas > Vintage Receiver (for now) > HE-6 could keep me happy for a long time.   
Been running the Ciunas to my Swan active speakers.  Really a fun listening experience.  Details and far from boring (with the wrong DAC the Swans can sound very flat and not so transparent).

Quote:
Haven't been on here in a while. Just wanted to give a quick update. I've had the Ciunas for almost 2 weeks now, burned in. I like it more than the PWD MK2 (2.2.0) and it's very competitive with my main setup involving the Ref7.1. I'm also getting the converter in a couple of days to test with the Ref.

IMO, this is one of the best values in the DAC world currently. Neutral, super fast but also liquid and smooth, with great detail and layering. The soundstage isn't as large as the Ref7.1 but it's competitive with the PWD in that regard. It's more detailed than the Ref...closer to the PWD. The PWD is the best at layering, but it's also the most congested. The Ciunas layers almost as well while sounding open.

It can run 24/7 with the trickle charger. It can be used 8ish hours on battery without any wires. Looks and functions great. The driver's solid, with no lag or interruptions like I experienced with the OR5 (it was minor in the OR, but annoying).

Buy it.

Jun 1, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #143 of 598
Shah,

Where can I find the Ciúnas converter talk? I've been looking!

Jun 1, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #144 of 598
+1 on the converter comparisons! The audio circle thread you mentioned is on the converter?

Jun 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #145 of 598
Quote:
+1 on the converter comparisons! The audio circle thread you mentioned is on the converter?

Hello SwanSong.

I´m Bruno from Portugal.

I've been reading this threat for a couple of days and i felt the need to join this fórum and talk to you about the Ciúnas converter. Well, i don't have it yet but John Kenny has already sent it to me. I should receive it early next week. I have been wainting for some time now so i´m anxious to get it. I already bought an Elijah Audio Isolate USB cable and one of those usb adapters that JK recommends (I must say that dealing with Michael from Elijah audio was excepcional, highly recommended). I also bought a Mark Grant G1000HD BNC to RCA cable. Nothing fancy but i think is good enought to give me at least 90% of the sound i could get with the Ciúnas. I´ll be connecting the Ciúnas to a Metrum Octave DAC.

So, when e get the converter i´ll post my findings here.

Jun 1, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #146 of 598
Sounds good! I was all set to get the Mk3 since its been on my short list for 6 month. Now I want the latest but I'm back in research mode and I'm not very patient. When your saving for a purchase it's ok but when the money is burning your pocket, well thanks. Have you or do you other converter that you can compare. The AP would be ideal!!

Thanks again

Jun 2, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #147 of 598
I understand you quite well. When you have the Money it becomes more irrational. I was saving for the MK3 too but when i got all the money the Ciúnas came out. Well, i tried to get some reviews but nothing came up on the web. I then asked John about the diferences between the two converters na he said the Ciúnas is even better. So we´ll see.

I had a Musical Fidelity V-Link192 in the past. But only for a month or so. Not very impressed you know. I had a Quad 99 CD-P and i much preferred the sound of the Quad. I know now that connecting the V-Link to the Quad DAC was not the best way to get the best results. Maybe now, connected to the Octave the story would be different.

I dont have the possibility to test the AP2, sorry.

My sound reference is the Quad + Octave. If the Ciúnas match or even exceeds that combination i will be very happy and satisfied. If not, then i will return the Ciúnas and get back to CD players.

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #148 of 598
Thanks Bruno, looking forward to it. When do you expect the converter?

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #149 of 598
Maybe next wednesday :)
By the way, for reference the rest of my system is: Rega Exon´s (monoblocks) + Rega Cursa (pre-amp) + ProAc Studio 100 (speakers). Cables: Kimber 8TC (speakers) + Kimber KCAG (ICs).
Whit the V-link192 i found the sound too bright. A lots of fatigue and lack of analog feeling. With the Quad+Octave the sound is just beautifully natural and big.
I hope i´ll get the same with the Ciúnas :)

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #150 of 598
Maybe next wednesday :)
By the way, for reference the rest of my system is: Rega Exon´s (monoblocks) + Rega Cursa (pre-amp) + ProAc Studio 100 (speakers). Cables: Kimber 8TC (speakers) + Kimber KCAG (ICs).
Whit the V-link192 i found the sound too bright. A lots of fatigue and lack of analog feeling. With the Quad+Octave the sound is just beautifully natural and big.
I hope i´ll get the same with the Ciúnas :)
I'm patiently waiting more reviews on this DAC. If it is as it seems by other reviews, I'll be moving the Hilo. Nothing wrong with it but if lower priced units can match the sound, the rest of the gimmickry is not of value to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back