JKenny Audio Ciúnas DAC and Ciúnas SPDIF
Jul 31, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #391 of 598
Quote:

I'll compare the Cinuas DAC to the NFB-27 and Eximus DP1.
At least one (maybe two) of the trio will have to go, so the comparison should be honest 
biggrin.gif

Preproman has much better toys to compare to, as well 
beerchug.gif

When I get it - I will only compare it to the Concero first.  As it's for a specific setup..  

Don't have that DP-1...  Can't wait until you get over the pond.  Lots of trading 
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #392 of 598
Quote:
I'll compare the Cinuas DAC to the NFB-27

I was impressed by looking inside the original Metrum Octave.  This is the first I've heard of the NFB27.  It weights 33lbs and draws 37watts.  I know they shouldn't, but these numbers impress me!  Both the weight and power consumption are just above that of my ET3 preamp and D18 combined.

At the end of his "Summarize" he said his source runs on the 2watt Atom Z510 cpu with 1GB and win7.  I use an 8.5watt D550 with 2GB, SSD, win7x64 and I feel it's just enough to get the job done on 5 channel 24/192 files.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB27/NFB27EN.htm
For the ES9018 he recommends keeping the output format on 32bit.  I think my JKSPDIF didn't like foobar's 32bit setting.  Will try again tonight.

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #399 of 598
That review pretty much reflects my opinion as well.

Obviously Kenny is no marketing genius but in the end he gets one very important thing right - a DAC that's easy to listen to.

What remains to be seen is if there are other reasonably priced DACs out there that have that same quality in addition to more detail, dynamics and features.

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #400 of 598
As nice it is for John to have a positive review out there, in a way I find it hard to take Isaac DeHann's review seriously - and I'm a Ciunas dac owner who likes it a lot. First, there is no associated equipment listed, let alone how it was hooked up, so who knows what he was listening to. Second, some of his criticisms/frustrations about the physical design are hard to take seriously. For computer audio, at least, if one follows John's suggestion and come out the back of the computer using a couple of USB adapters, thus eliminating need for a USB cable, then who cares what it looks like. And if one's collected electronic gadgets over the years, as probably many who would buy a Cuinas have, there is likely a wall wart (AC adapter) sitting around in some box that will do the job. Finally, evaluating the sound of the Cuinas - "less detail," "less explosive," without reference to other equipment or some kind of direct A-B testing is useless. Memory plays tricks (often even on short term switches), as well as do how components interact. DeHann's evaluation is not necessarily wrong, it just doesn't come across as based on solid ground.

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #401 of 598
I agree that the looks don't really matter (to me at least) I keep all small devices and cables tucked behind a cabinet door. One thing for sure is that I surely don't like the idea of paying extra for a fancy machined case. Put the money where it counts most!

I also agree that the review left out a few important details.

However...

Can you imagine that every time you bought electronic gear the manufacturer would suggest that you go digging in your collection of wall warts hoping to find one with specific voltage/amperage/polarity/barrel specs? ...and be afraid you might fry something if you make a mistake.

I had to search high and low to find a USB adapter that would fit the bill. I'll need to do more testing but for now I'm not convinced that it sounded better than a $20 USB cable and in many instances I was not able to fit it between other wires and cables - the back of a Squeezebox in particular. The idea of connecting two or three together to allow more clearance somehow doesn't sound right to me.

To me these are small details that could sway some customers elsewhere which is unfortunate because they'd be missing out on a really good sounding device.

Which is why I stated that John is no marketing genius.

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #402 of 598
I don't completely agree with the Stereomojo review either.

In terms of detail retrieval the Ciunas is quite good. Just short of the PWD MK2 but close enough. Dynamics are pretty good too...
IMO, he's right about the bass weight being less than some of the more expensive competitors but its quality is superb. Also, I too found the lack of digital sheen right out of the box, but then I'd heard that accomplished with other sources in-house previously. Not a revelation. Makes me question his experience with other gear...or atleast valuable time with other gear. Listing his associated equipment wouldn't hurt either.

Aug 4, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #403 of 598
I agree that the looks don't really matter (to me at least) I keep all small devices and cables tucked behind a cabinet door. One thing for sure is that I surely don't like the idea of paying extra for a fancy machined case. Put the money where it counts most!

I also agree that the review left out a few important details.

However...

Can you imagine that every time you bought electronic gear the manufacturer would suggest that you go digging in your collection of wall warts hoping to find one with specific voltage/amperage/polarity/barrel specs? ...and be afraid you might fry something if you make a mistake.

I had to search high and low to find a USB adapter that would fit the bill. I'll need to do more testing but for now I'm not convinced that it sounded better than a $20 USB cable and in many instances I was not able to fit it between other wires and cables - the back of a Squeezebox in particular. The idea of connecting two or three together to allow more clearance somehow doesn't sound right to me.

To me these are small details that could sway some customers elsewhere which is unfortunate because they'd be missing out on a really good sounding device.

I take it you're the reviewer. I found searching USB adapters relatively easy. John had tested and approved one, and a search turned up a few other possibilities for the second. John had thought three might be necessary, but I found one that made it work with two. But I couldn't know that until the dac arrived, which yes, means I bought more than necessary, but the cost was very small.

Direct connection not better than a $20 USB cable? You've got to be kidding! I actually tested against a $29 Pangea and a well reviewed one (Blue Dragon?) closer to $100. While it's possible that some adapters would not sound so hot, to me your statement in itself makes me wonder about your qualifications as a reviewer, however well meaning your intent. As for power adapters, if one chooses that route, John specifies a spec range, so there's not one specific set, as you imply. And if there isn't one around, they are easy to find cheap on eBay. John is upfront in discussing what's included and the options on the website. Keeps the price down. Aside from the digital output, and I'm not seeing why that's necessary, I think you made way too much of these small things.

Price: Unless the Euro has significantly increased vs. the dollar since early May, you've got the price wrong: my credit card bill shows $624 to the U.S. (no fees, VAT deducted).

Review conclusion: "Additionally, if you’re chasing bass, dynamics, and/or detail, they’re not lacking by any means, but those aspects are not the Ciúnas DAC’s strongest suit and you may do better looking elsewhere."
This conclusion is unfair to John and readers. Look where? Since you've never stated what the comparison is, except what you've heard elsewhere, quite a vague statement, it's impossible to know what the Ciunas is being compared to. $30k systems, $1000 ones, or $600 or less ones? That's a big difference. If you want to help the reader, that information is required - and better yet, some comparisons done the right way.

Look it, this was your first review. Fair enough, but decent reviews to use as a model are widely available. However, what's really dependent on the reviewer's personality or training is the ability to come at it with the (reasonable) meticulousness of a scientist. That I only see a beginning of in your review.

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #404 of 598

You're right -- I'm that guy. I have no problem with a plain box (in fact prefer it), but keep hmming & hawing about buying because of the other mickeymouse stuff (charging problems posted here as well). Guess I've never been hurt by holding off & keeping my eyes & ears open.

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #405 of 598
Quote:
I take it you're the reviewer. I found searching USB adapters relatively easy. John had tested and approved one, and a search turned up a few other possibilities for the second. John had thought three might be necessary, but I found one that made it work with two. But I couldn't know that until the dac arrived, which yes, means I bought more than necessary, but the cost was very small.

Direct connection not better than a $20 USB cable? You've got to be kidding! I actually tested against a $29 Pangea and a well reviewed one (Blue Dragon?) closer to $100. While it's possible that some adapters would not sound so hot, to me your statement in itself makes me wonder about your qualifications as a reviewer, however well meaning your intent. As for power adapters, if one chooses that route, John specifies a spec range, so there's not one specific set, as you imply. And if there isn't one around, they are easy to find cheap on eBay. John is upfront in discussing what's included and the options on the website. Keeps the price down. Aside from the digital output, and I'm not seeing why that's necessary, I think you made way too much of these small things.

Price: Unless the Euro has significantly increased vs. the dollar since early May, you've got the price wrong: my credit card bill shows $624 to the U.S. (no fees, VAT deducted).

Review conclusion: "Additionally, if you’re chasing bass, dynamics, and/or detail, they’re not lacking by any means, but those aspects are not the Ciúnas DAC’s strongest suit and you may do better looking elsewhere."
This conclusion is unfair to John and readers. Look where? Since you've never stated what the comparison is, except what you've heard elsewhere, quite a vague statement, it's impossible to know what the Ciunas is being compared to. $30k systems, $1000 ones, or $600 or less ones? That's a big difference. If you want to help the reader, that information is required - and better yet, some comparisons done the right way.

Look it, this was your first review. Fair enough, but decent reviews to use as a model are widely available. However, what's really dependent on the reviewer's personality or training is the ability to come at it with the (reasonable) meticulousness of a scientist. That I only see a beginning of in your review.

What? First I'd like to get one thing straight - I AM NOT THE REVIEWER

For the rest I don't know where to start...

First of all I am not chasing bass. Actually I'm struggling with too much bass at times. As for dynamics - I'm not sure I would call it dynamics but it could use a bit more mid range "zing". But this is irrelevant since I AM NOT THE REVIEWER.

As I mentioned the USB adapter did sound inferior to me but to be honest I was using it between an MF V-Link and iFi iUSB power module. In that setup it sounded somewhat "brittle"
I had similar results with a 6" Belkin cable on the Ciunas. Only when I introduced a .5 meter Audioquest Forest did I find the sound more relaxed. Was this coincidental with break in period or was it in fact the cable itself?
I never managed to actually use it with the Ciunas as I am unable to fit it between the Squeezeboxe's LAN cable and power umbilical. That is the main reason why I no longer use it. I will try to figure out a way of trying it just so my conscience is clear.

The rest are just objective comments/nitpickings from a potential buyer's POV.

Bottom line: I bought one and have commented favorably on almost all aspects since the beginning. That pretty much sums it up.

Peace

Users who are viewing this thread

Back