JKenny Audio Ciúnas DAC and Ciúnas SPDIF
Aug 7, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #421 of 598
LOL indeed. I think Prep's back-up back-up back-up rig could be my end-game :wink:

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #422 of 598
Ha ha ha..   Yea right guys.    It's my bedroom rig..
biggrin.gif
 It should be hear soon..

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #424 of 598
Quote:
And you will probably enjoy it... but not with the MDs 
tongue.gif

Do you have a need for closed headphones in your bed-rig?
I can recommand one of the most overlooked pair of cans ever: Hifiman HE-4!

Have you heard of it? 
tongue.gif

MD for the bed room "rocks" man..  

Yes - I think I've heard them once or twice..
wink_face.gif

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #427 of 598
Quote:

Exactly - the a-100 is a bit forward or may be on the bright side.

The Metrum bright?
blink.gif

No, I said brighter 
biggrin.gif

The Metrum is my definition of neutral (and transparent, too).
The slight bloom in the mid bass makes it a very slightly warmish DAC, but it is neutral nonetheless.
By comparison, the Ciunas is more like a NFB-3.

That's my first impression, so take it with a grain of salt 
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #428 of 598
Quote:

No, I said brighter 
biggrin.gif

The Metrum is my definition of neutral (and transparent, too).
The slight bloom in the mid bass makes it a very slightly warmish DAC, but it is neutral nonetheless.
By comparison, the Ciunas is more like a NFB-3.

That's my first impression, so take it with a grain of salt 
wink.gif

This is what I took away from my audition as well.

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #429 of 598
I don't find the Ciunas lacks of details and dynamics as well.  
I can hear tons of details and atmosphere, even with a 2 meter long USB cable.

I found no way to place the RCA cable if I use the USB adapter between my laptop and Ciunas, so have to use USB cables. 
I am still waiting for a 20cm USB cable to arrive.  I have tried 4 different kinds USB cables, all sound with significant differences.

I use a duel boot system on my laptop, the Win XP sounds less sheen than the Win 8,both using foobar1.1.11 or JPLAY./quote]

Depends on the RCAs, but you need two to clear many and these are the two I use and sound great. The first is recommended by John. I sent him the second link, but don't know if he got around to trying it out. The clearance is just enough for my RCAs out the back of my computer, though I have to remember to check every few days that the computer side hasn't worked loose (wish I could figure out a way to keep the connector firmly in).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002B9AR8I/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (see dac instructions onlin for UK model's link)
http://dx.com/p/usb-male-to-female-adapter-converter-28990

You had any trouble with Win 8, foobar and JPlay? With the ASIO/JPlay device setting, I ran into skips early on CDs unless the buffer was set high and, more annoyingly, some computer freezes, especially using Ultrastream engine, but really all (I live River the best - more natural, less processed sound). Over at the foobar forum, they're really hostile to JPlay, so it's hard to get any help there.

Aug 10, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #430 of 598
Quote:

You had me agreeing until you went the cable route.  Source changes are more subtle than amp or headphone changes but cables?  Digital cable ceiling is in around the $50 range.  Length is more important than anything else in spdif cables.  If you spend more than what a WireWorld UV USB costs on USB you need to read up on how USB audio streams work, throw your palm into your face and accept you got robbed :p

:wink:

I never thought cables made any difference.  I tried 5 different cables both as digital and as analog, all 4 failed terribly, but the one that still remains sounds phenomenal.  Have I bought anything since then thinking this great difference merits any value in seeing just how good a sound I can get with different cables?...no...I won't change my cables, end of story.  I certainly would have no problems trying any cables at any price and provide precisely the sound I hear.

I have never experimented with USB cables because just as I was skeptical about digital+analog cables, I don't see how a simple decent diy cable that cuts power off at the hub and runs a 5V linear supply can somehow sound better if it says Wireworld or Belkin on it.

My order of importance:

Recording 
Room-Acoustical Environment
Speaker and how it interacts with the room

The Rest is all 1%.  Sure, it makes a difference, even a clearly night/day difference in many components especially with a pre-dac and then the amp, etc...but it's still 1% IMHO vs. the three listed things.

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #431 of 598
Any impressions on the Ciunas SPDIF converter yet?  Torn between the JK, AP2 and iUSB into the PWD2.  Primary concern is cutting the ground loop/pc noise that comes in through the USB so most likely just go iUSB but if I can fix a problem and get some gains... bonus.

Aug 14, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #433 of 598
The Ciunas DAC arrived.  Well it's at the post office. I will pick it up in the am.
biggrin.gif
   That was a long ass wait. 

Also got the Hydra-X in.  I can't get it to work in Windows 8.  If it fails, I will return it and get the Ciunas converter as well.

Does anyone know how long can you go with a Coax S/PDIF cable?

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #434 of 598
A friend forward me this paper

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue14/spdif.htm

I use 1.23 m black volace and 1.5 m Audioquest, and prefer Audioquest.
Not sure whether its the length or the material though.
Hope it help.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #435 of 598

Users who are viewing this thread

Back