JH5 vs. IE8? (not a review, but an inquiry. PLEASE HELP)
Aug 22, 2010 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ROCKOQATSI

Member of the Trade: Polyphony Magazine
Greetings all,

After having lived with the Sennheiser IE8 for about a year (June 2009), I feel this love affair drawing to a close as I am yearning for something more balanced. I'm considering selling the IE8 and going for a custom, and I've read the JH5 is a great value. I'm on the precipice and am in need of some advice, other options, or just a push over the edge if anyone's interested in a pair of used IE8's. (There are no pictures because this is not an advertisement, but I will or will not post a formal one depending on general interest here.)

(Very) Brief History: I tested both the IE8 and Shure SE530 at the Apple Store with my Macbook Pro line out, and comparing them to my then runabouts, the InMotion 616's. And after forty minutes listening to selections from Jurassic Park, Tears for Fears, Queen, and then finally Dark Knight, the IE8 came out sounding the most... different. Enough so that listening to those familiar tracks made me giddy. I missed the upper registers of the InMotions, as well as the isolation (possibly comparable to the Etymotic HF2, which costs roughly the same amount and has the same architecture) but I loved the more open soundstage and more present bass, which on the Dark Knight score especially rocked my socks off, but I knew did not sound natural----just fun. The SE530's added little to the experience to justify their cost, and rolled off at the top as well. Ideally I wanted something with the high-end and isolation of the Etymotics, the ergonomics and comfort of the Shures, and the soundstage of the Sennheisers. Alas, no such headphone in my budget existed at the time, so I went with the phones that made me grin.  And in the subsequent weeks, I felt no need at all to give them up. Sorry that wasn't very brief...

Fast forward about a year to my current juncture, and I'm still using and pretty much enjoying the IE8 (specifically because I have no other working IEMs anymore and the IE8's are all I've got.) However, all the little faults I thought I could get over by progressively winding the bass screw to max and just dreaming about what I know I'm missing in the upper registers, are illuminated in stark relief. Perhaps it's just not in my nature to be monogamous? --(Then again, I'm still in love with my HD600's, which I've had for nine years and four cable changes.)-- In any case, I don't hate the IE8's, and if they were taken away from me and the SE530's (now defunct) placed in their stead, I'd likely miss all the things about them that everyone loves so much, none of which is lost on me, having lived with them these past fourteen months. Tender matters like this cannot be judged on the spot, least of all by an amateur like me, but must be lived-in.

And the packaging was so pretty I'd have it for dinner.

ANYWAY, I'm reaching out to those who've had experience with the IE8, the JH5/7, the Etymotic line, or even the new SE535, and help guide me on this decision. For instance how does the JH5 compare to other universals in its price range? Should I save up for the SE535 instead? Or maybe should I get the ER-4P with the APureSound cable mod?

I certainly wouldn't mind going custom, if not for the sound (yes that! and bragging rights) then for comfort and isolation---important when you ride subways and public transit everyday. And because it's something I've never tried before. Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 21
I think JH5 is a great step into the world of customs. I would go for the JH5 in your situation over the SE535 and other universal BA's. JH5 is rated very highly by those that have them around here.

Aug 22, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 21
See, I knew there was a case for the JH5, even if it is "entry-level". You wouldn't poo on the Wilson Audio Sophia just because it's their least expensive floor-stander, would you? There does however seem to be a dearth of JH5 owners around here who would want to speak up---or maybe they all went to bed. Is there an appreciation thread for them? (Might create one soon at this point.)

The only thing that's really stopping me now (aside from disinterest in my used IE8's ---(should I just shout it from the rooftops that I wanna sell these?)) is a nagging curiosity about the Etymotic ER4 with the APureSound cable. After all's said and done, they cost about the same, both have excellent isolation, but possibly radical differences in sound. Hmmmmmm......

Aug 22, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #7 of 21
@j57park: Exactly. DK soundtrack has lots of quiet dissonances in the low registers that you can hear clearly with the IE8, unamped. I thought to myself in the store, "I surely can't live without THAT in my life."
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 22, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 21
It really depends on your budget. You mention isolation. The ER6i I used to own are no lower than 2nd on my list in terms of isolation I've had in all my earphones. I'm not sure but my Livewires may be a bit better but I don't have them both to A/B but Etymotic offers the best isolation you can get in a universal. The JH5 is highly rated but is at $400 +shipping+impressions+refits if any so it may be closer to $450 and up depending on if they get the fit right the first time and how much impressions cost. I've never heard it but those who have it like it a lot it seems. However customs do have their risk. You have low resale value if you don't like it, possible refit periods which may be frustrating and of course the wait.

Aug 22, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #9 of 21
@rawrster: I didn't expect customs to have any resale value at all, since the whole package is bespoke, and would require whole new earpieces to be made.

How much more does it cost to have artwork done?

Aug 23, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #11 of 21
At CanJam with my own source, the 2 most natural phones were the ETs and JHs of those I tried which included RE0, Monsters, Sennheiser, Shure and others via an Itouch with both a Kurt Elling live dub and Kinks HD download. Both converted from 24/96 to 16/48 wav via Steinberg Wavelab. JH5 was just as clean as the ETs and more full bodied with no sense of crossover. Seamless mids. Had a nice balance between detail and still not being too analytical. I can understand preference but I can't see how you could go wrong with a JH5. It actually revealed the character of the touch quite well other than maybe, just maybe a little sweet but I couldn't find anything wrong with detail dynamics or bandwidth/balance and nothing is perfect. The JH13s sounded a bit more neutral, extended and dry but perhaps more so than they probably should have with that source. What I'm getting at is that I think the JH5 is good enough for about anything or anyone with a portable or computer based system unless your using a Weiss 202, Naim  DAC etc., play wav and are extremely critical.

Haven't heard the UM3X but that may be the other to audition at that price.

Aug 23, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #12 of 21
Go for the JH-5's and don't look back.

Don't think of the 5's as entry level because they certainly do not sound that way. They're not "good enough", they're simply awesome. Everyone around here talks about the JH-13's and JH-16's, but the 5's are the real value. Don't think of them like they're $700 less sounding than the 13's...they should really be priced at $900 compared to the 13's.

I can't compare the 5's that I own to any of the others you mentioned, but I have a pair of ER-6i and there's simply no comparison. Not even in the same ballpark. My 5's fit perfect the first time and isolation is great.

Go for it.

Aug 23, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
Go for the JH-5's and don't look back.

Don't think of the 5's as entry level because they certainly do not sound that way. They're not "good enough", they're simply awesome. Everyone around here talks about the JH-13's and JH-16's, but the 5's are the real value. Don't think of them like they're $700 less sounding than the 13's...they should really be priced at $900 compared to the 13's.

I can't compare the 5's that I own to any of the others you mentioned, but I have a pair of ER-6i and there's simply no comparison. Not even in the same ballpark. My 5's fit perfect the first time and isolation is great.

Go for it.

I agree but really there is a reason for JH13s so the 'good enough' was relative and not a diminishing comment in my otherwise glowing review. I completely agree with your value assessment. How did you feel about my character descriptions of the 2 JHs?

Aug 23, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
I agree but really there is a reason for JH13s so the 'good enough' was relative and not a diminishing comment in my otherwise glowing review. I completely agree with your value assessment. How did you feel about my character descriptions of the 2 JHs?

No worries... 

To me the difference between the 5's and the 13's is that the 13's have a greater extension in the very lows and the very highs...especially the area below 100hz. I also hear a little peak in the area of 7k or so that makes the highs a little more apparent than on the 5's.

I was just trying to say that if you look at the 5's as the entry level and the 13's as the big daddy, with all the other models and prices in between, it really doesn't do the 5's justice at all. I think I wrote in a previous post something to the effect of that it's not like the difference is a Chevy and Mercedes, more like they're all Mercedes, just different series, especially when comparing them to non-custom iems.

Aug 23, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #15 of 21
^X2.

I've stated before that the 13 may be the BMW M5 of the earphone world. But how often do you hear "If you're getting a BMW, you must hold out an M5"?

Also agree to your comparison. The 13 undoubtedly has better extension and detail. But is possibly also a little peaky at the extremes. Which is not to say the 5 is perfectly neutral, but does an amazing job for a 2-way.

My personal impression is that the 10x3 is actually the flattest of the line, but will need to test them all again sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back