JH16 Pro vs UE18 Pro
Aug 28, 2010 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

the diode

100+ Head-Fier
Thinking about getting a new pair of IEMs. I am looking for a few inputs to set me in the right direction. I also need to get a LOD that works with the iPhone 4, the one I currently have causes reception issues and static in the earpieces. Thanks for all the help.
Rob

Aug 28, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 14
Not many people have both the JH16 and UE18, as far as I can tell.  And the ones who do have said they're pretty close in terms of overall quality, with some slight sound signature differences.  Most Head-fiers seem to have gone the JH route, perhaps because of their reputation for good customer service and the abundance of reviews of JH products.

As for the LOD, how much are you willing to spend?  Whiplash Audio makes some great LODs made from various materials, from copper to TWag and ranging from like $60 to $150.  But they're durable and sound great.  http://www.whiplashaudio.com/cables/ipod-and-iphone-cables/whiplash-audio.html

Red Wine Audio also makes good cables from what I hear.  iBasso makes some cheaper LODs.

Aug 28, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 14
if you're looking for top tier iems don't disregard the jh-13s (less bass heavy, but not bass light by any means, and more neutral than the 16s) and the westone es5s. if you need more bass, look at the real game changer, the jh-3a which takes sound reproduction quality to a new level, and has adjustable bass.

Aug 30, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 14
Aug 30, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
Thanks for that link. Very succinct, helpful bullet point comparison of the different sound signatures involved there. 

I just wish the Future Sonics ear monitors were included!

Me, too!

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #10 of 14
Regarding the noise on LOD, any shielded cable will probably do, but as I use my iPhone stacked on a D12 in my pocket to drive the 16s when I am out and about the radio interferes with the dac regardless of cable, so I use airplane mode. A longer cable let's you move the phone away from the amp if you aren't shooting for compact size, give yourself at least 18" to reduce rfi.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 14, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #11 of 14
Feb 25, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
if you're looking for top tier iems don't disregard the jh-13s (less bass heavy, but not bass light by any means, and more neutral than the 16s) and the westone es5s. if you need more bass, look at the real game changer, the jh-3a which takes sound reproduction quality to a new level, and has adjustable bass.

I want to add something to Dave
 I used to owned the JH13 and am now owning the JH16.I just want to say I really miss the JH13.
In many kinds of music the Bass of JH16 seem to be too much for me ,JH13 seem to fit better.

to my ear ES5s have a better mid and treble than the JH13 ,but at the bottom end I like the JH13  more.

I think you won't be disappointed with those three.

p.s. about the neutrality of the JH13, if you've found you want to add warm to them to make them more "musical"(I really don't want to use this word :p),it's not hard to do ,just add a proper amp to them (in my case the Stepdance) ,then you get what you want

Mar 2, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #13 of 14
coolcat, what part of the JH13's bass do you like better than the ES5's bass?  Does the Jh13 have better bass extension, texture, and quantity?

And may I ask how you owned both the JH13 and then the 16, but not at the same time?  Were you the guy who had his JH16 order accidentally turned into JH13s by JHA during a fit adjustment?

Mar 2, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #14 of 14
iirc there was a british guy who'd changed them as he didn't like the 16s - can't remember who it was off hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back