JH13pro vs Head-Direct REO
Jun 20, 2010 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

sling5s

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got a pair of Head-Direct REO for portable use, because I'm planning to modify my JH13pro for the JH-3A DSP/DAC/AMP.
I'm just floored by how close these are to the JH13pro.  Yes, the JH13pro have a warmer sound signature, more bass but over all, it comes pretty darn close and only for $79 dollars compared to $999.  I just can't believe believe my ears. How is this possible. How can an IEM less than $100 come so close to the detail of the JH13pro.   Now, the comparisons are done with both being amped.  When both pairs unamped, the difference in both pairs are more noticeable.
But when amped, they are really that close.

Does anyone else have both?  It really makes me question my JH13pro.  The JH13pro with the JH-3A maybe a different question but when both amped, again, I'm amazed at the closeness.

Edited: it's with foam mod (foam taken out of driver).  It does increase detail and soundstage. 

Final Edit:
Maybe It was my new buyers love for the Head-Direct RE0 that I gave such great raves about it but I realize the RE0 Requires really a lot of Amp juice to make it shine.  When hooked up to iphone 4: the difference between JH13pro and RE0 is very considerable.  When hooked up to Pico Amp/Dac, it's less but still considerable.  But hooked up to something like Woo Audio Amp or my Vintage Amp that even exceeds my Woo Audio, the gap is less considerable.

Yes, the RE0 is not as refined and smooth (it's slightly grainy and may lack a little bass), but when given a good amp with a lot of power, it really excels.  The gap is still there between the JH13pro and RE0 but it's much less; to the point I think, if you prefer the sound signature (and don't have the problem of the slight grainy and edgy treble), it comes quite close to these custom kings. 

Jun 20, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 25
wow how is this possible, I personally think that my SM3 is way better than re0, re0 sounds very thin to me, bass, sound stage, naturalness and things like that in my SM3 just do not exist in re0. But all of this comes from an unamped experience.

Jun 20, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 25

Quote:
I just got a pair of Head-Direct REO for portable use, because I'm planning to modify my JH13pro for the JH-3A DSP/DAC/AMP.
I'm just floored by how close these are to the JH13pro.  Yes, the JH13pro have a warmer sound signature, more bass but over all, it comes pretty darn close and only for $79 dollars compared to $999.  I just can't believe believe my ears. How is this possible. How can an IEM less than $100 come so close to the detail of the JH13pro.   Now, the comparisons are done with both being amped.  When both pairs unamped, the difference in both pairs are more noticeable.
But when amped, they are really that close.

Does anyone else have both?  It really makes me question my JH13pro.  The JH13pro with the JH-3A maybe a different question but when both amped, again, I'm amazed at the closeness.

That is nice to hear, atleast I have made one nice purchase.

Jun 21, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 25

Quote:
Pico Dac/Amp and Setton Vintage Receiver (Setton to my ears were superior to Woo Audio 6).

That's about right, that extra warmth should cost about an extra grand.
ksc75smile.gif

Just kidding.

I don't have a 13 yet, but I'm seriously planning to upgrade from my ER4S/P. I also currently have a UE10 Pro which I find to be an upgrade over the Etys, really smooth, warm and lush especially when paired with my TTVJ Hybrid.

Jun 21, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 25
makes me want to get an old receiver whenever I get into the headphone scene :)

Jun 21, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #9 of 25
lol...I don't drink.  Maybe I prefer the sound a little bright for my liking.  All I am saying is, $79 dollars gets you pretty darn close. Not all the way, but pretty close.

Jun 21, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #13 of 25

Quote:
lol...I don't drink.  Maybe I prefer the sound a little bright for my liking.  All I am saying is, $79 dollars gets you pretty darn close. Not all the way, but pretty close.

Diminishing returns, whose degree of effect and importance are too often ignored on these forums in favor of the next super expensive FOTM. Now you have first hand experience.

Jun 21, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #15 of 25
The thing about customs like the JH-13 and co that puts me off is the cost and the hassle and not knowing for sure they're gonna feel or sound any better than anything else.  At least with universals, you can buy and resell easily enough and experiment with tips.

I'd be keen to try the RE0 one day - they get a lot of good press. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back