JH13 compared to UERM
Jul 26, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #16 of 33
  Went to an audiologist today who sells both UE and JH, and listened to the UERM, UE18, JH13, and Roxanne.

1. Something may have been wrong with the UERM I heard at the meet on Saturday. The unit I heard today sounded way better.

2. On the whole, the JH13 and UERM demos sounded more similar than different. On mid and treble-centric chamber music, I didn't hear much difference at all. However, I preferred the JH13 on several tracks where it brought out extra depth and texture. This gave it enough of an edge that I ended up ordering the JH13.

3. I didn't enjoy the UE18 as much this time around, probably because I was comparing it to a sound signature I actually prefer (non-weird UERM and JH13). The 18 sounds too boomy compared to the smooth UERM and JH13.

4. The Roxanne was not for me. I don't like fiddling with adjustable sound, nothing about it felt very special in any case.

All-in-all, doing this comparison with universal eartips mostly sucked. I had seal troubles several times. I still don't quite know what I'll get when the JH13 shows up — in about two months. :)

Did you go to an audiologist in the Bay Area?  If so, who?  I'm interested in both the UERM and the JH13.  Thanks.

Jul 26, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #17 of 33
Did you go to an audiologist in the Bay Area?  If so, who?  I'm interested in both the UERM and the JH13.  Thanks.

No, I was in New York for a few days for unrelated reasons. I went to http://www.musicianshearingsolutions.com; found her by looking on the JH dealer list page.

Finding CIEM demos can be tricky, since it's such a niche product — and when I finally found them, the difference between the demo and the final product makes the process so inconclusive. No idea what I would have done if I wanted to try Heir or any of the even-more-exotic models.

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #18 of 33
Both are very good ciem and preference is definitely key here. The jh13 is a bit ahead in performance but I do like the uerm better. The difference is lost in my commute however.

As far as demos I felt the uerm demo was much closer to the ciem than when I tried the jh13 demo.

Good to know.  I demoed the UERM today and purchased one on the spot - FINALLY.

Jul 27, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #19 of 33
Both are very good ciem and preference is definitely key here. The jh13 is a bit ahead in performance but I do like the uerm better. The difference is lost in my commute however.

As far as demos I felt the uerm demo was much closer to the ciem than when I tried the jh13 demo.

Congrats! The demo is pretty close, perhaps a hair less brightness in the full custom.

Jul 27, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #20 of 33
Congrats! The demo is pretty close, perhaps a hair less brightness in the full custom.

Sadly they won't entertain my request for a universal UERM version :frowning2:

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #21 of 33

Finally is right. I remember you were looking to get the uerm a while back when I was more active here. I do feel it is a bit underappreciated here but still a very good ciem. I'm sure you will enjoy it

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #22 of 33
I too thought demo was nothing short of clarity and details without bloat.  I immediately noticed the balanced sound, and less bloat when I switch to the UE900.  
tongue.gif
  Also, the lack of color when I switch to the UE18.  
tongue.gif
  It's a 3-way, 3 driver goodness, and it just points out you can do really good with less.  This is probably so if the balanced sig is required as the adding woofers to add bass is just coloring the sound.  I'd like to see the impedance graph to see how they do the treble.  It seems to be one of the best tune since it's using minimal amount of drivers.

Smart move.  I think you keyed in on a product worth investing in a sea of IEMs.  I regret not taking the plunge when I had the chance at a meet for less dough.

Jul 27, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #23 of 33
If I would have gotten the UERM from the get go, I would have saved my wallet thousands - you know the tune.  However, it's not that cut and dry.  Since joining this site, my taste in sound signature has gradually changed.  I still like tight and impactful bass quantity every now and then, and the UE11 that I also demoed delivered it in spades, but now a days, you can get that in much cheaper universals.  The few here also know that I've been chasing after the ER4S signature in a custom form for quite some time, but my requirement changed to ampless and smartphone only, and I believe I found the right ciem for me - FINALLY.  My ears have been enchanted to the UERM's transparency and clarity - FINALLY.

I must admit the reason behind not pulling the trigger earlier with the UERM was its 3-driver count in a sea of 4-8 drivers in the same price range, and it was a foolish reason. The only thing not foolish was my decision to wait for a proper audition with my own tips, source, and music.

On a side note, I've discovered that the Sennheiser HD800 is like the UERM in headphone form. 

I'll post my impressions in the appropriate UERM thread once I've taken delivery in 2-3 weeks.

Jul 27, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #24 of 33
I'm the same way. I would easily have saved a lot but I think the journey is also worthwhile. My tastes have changed slightly but I always go back to the type of sound the uerm has.

The driver war is pretty ridiculous to me. Even the 6 driver jh13 now seems lacking compared to the driver count of other ciem.

Jul 27, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #25 of 33
  If I would have gotten the UERM from the get go, I would have saved my wallet thousands - you know the tune.  However, it's not that cut and dry.  Since joining this site, my taste in sound signature has gradually changed.  I still like tight and impactful bass quantity every now and then, and the UE11 that I also demoed delivered it in spades, but now a days, you can get that in much cheaper universals.  The few here also know that I've been chasing after the ER4S signature in a custom form for quite some time, but my requirement changed to ampless and smartphone only, and I believe I found the right ciem for me - FINALLY.  My ears have been enchanted to the UERM's transparency and clarity - FINALLY.

I must admit the reason behind not pulling the trigger earlier with the UERM was its 3-driver count in a sea of 4-8 drivers in the same price range, and it was a foolish reason. The only thing not foolish was my decision to wait for a proper audition with my own tips, source, and music.

On a side note, I've discovered that the Sennheiser HD800 is like the UERM in headphone form. 

I'll post my impressions in the appropriate UERM thread once I've taken delivery in 2-3 weeks.

Weird - I liked the UERM demo a lot, once I got a proper seal.  After years of trying, I have yet to like the HD800.  What gives?  Also - anyone know of an audiologist in the SF Bay area that has demos of the Jerry Harvey models and the UE models side by side (long shot!)

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #26 of 33
Here's the pie in the sky riddle; the setups were apples and oranges: 1) UERM demo /Samsung Galaxy S /w Voodoo/Neutron & FLAC; 2) HD800/RWAK120-S/Vorzuge Pure II amp & FLAC - same FLAC track for both.  Between these two setups the two transducers to me sounded like they came from the same family tree despite a few differences outside the shared tonality and stage characteristics.  However,I can say that between the two, I wouldn't be able to listen to the HD800 for hours on end, unlike the UERM. 

Lastly, I would love to audition the JH13 when I get a chance.

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #27 of 33
I think the driver war is pretty stupid...some single drivers are much bigger than some dual drivers used, and sound better in the same application IMO. But it is hard to find companies that uses those drivers since they want to stuff more drivers in now :\

Oct 15, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #29 of 33
Since I started this thread, I might as well post some impressions of the JH13, which I received about two weeks ago (the order took around 40 business days).

Very pleased on the whole. Fit and comfort are very good, and the acrylic looks nice. Good cable with a fairly slim 1/8" adapter. It sounds much, much better than universal demos of either the JH13 or the UERM. The JH13 final product sounds fairly lush, but does not sacrifice details; in this, it reminds me of the HD650. Works great for classical, I've been on a cello music kick lately, and the instruments sound fantastic.

Comparisons with universal demos are pretty bunk, but I'm sure I prefer the slightly "fun" signature of the JH13 to the flatter UERM (keep in mind that I didn't order the UERM, so don't know how the final product sounds) for on-the-go listening, even though I normally like neutral-leaning headphones for home use. I think that, with the JH13, I've reached portable headphone endgame. The IE800 and the AKG3003 may sound (equally) good, but I pretty much decided I hate universals for seal, fit, and comfort reasons. There may be cheaper CIEMs which would work as well for me, but I'm quite satisfied with what I found.

Oct 15, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #30 of 33

How long before you received the next update after they received your impressions?
I ordered on 27/9 and they received the impressions on 1/10.
I had no updates since then...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back