JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread
Jun 22, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #511 of 1,149
I may have to go that route. The Shure Olives are the best but still leave something to be desired. 

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #512 of 1,149

Thanks much for taking the time to listen and give your feedback. Your impressions make me feel a whole lot better that it might just be mine that sound like that (currently) and that it is not a systemic characteristic. Mine are back in Florida right now for a refit and Andy said he would test them. Hopefully they find an issue that an be corrected. If not, I will just hope that burn-in makes a significant difference. But, your post gives me hope. Thanks again.

I had previously reported a complete lack of treble on my custom Roxanne's.  I sent them back to JH Audio for a refit and to check whether there was possibly an issue with the treble. I mean, mine weren't just veiled, there was virtually no treble.

Andy Regan committed to me to check them out personally. They received them on 5/22 and I received an email from Sue that they shipped them back on Friday and they arrived this morning 6/23.

I was really prepared to put these in a drawer and not take them out again if they sounded the same as previously. But the fit issue has been corrected and I am really thrilled to report that the treble issue seems to have been resolved. I don't know if it is my imagination, I could be completely wrong on this but it seems to me that I have a different cable on them now. I had also set my attenuators to 0 position and they returned in a different position. I don't know if that is because they changed it during testing or whether it is because it is a new cable. Maybe mine previously had a cable or connector problem. Regardless, it has been resolved.

I am not a recording artist so I did not get artist priority and it was a little over 4 weeks for the refit.

I know there was an initial wait time but I just switched off and waited for them to arrive. And now that the fit and treble issues have been corrected, I am happy with my purchase. I am not here to make apologies for anybody but I will do business with JHA again. I run a small company too and we also make mistakes, and sometimes repeat those mistakes and it takes time to eliminate those mistakes from the process.

Anyway, I did not want to open that debate but just wanted to say that I am happy with the Roxanne's now and the overall service and communications I received. Mine originally arrived with a spelling mistake on the case but they  immediately shipped me a brand new case.

I will need more time before I can give a more complete impression of the overall sound but for now I can say I do enjoy them and that is good enough for me for now.

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #513 of 1,149
What do people have their Roxannes plugged in to? I use a RWAK120 and think this may be the reason I'm not enjoying them as much as I'd hoped. The RWAK120 (to my ears) is slightly mid-centric. So is the Roxanne. Perhaps it's not the best match.

Would a brighter source open the Roxannes up a bit?

If only there were screws on the cable for bass and treble (hint, hint, JH Audio)

Jun 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #515 of 1,149
  What do people have their Roxannes plugged in to? I use a RWAK120 and think this may be the reason I'm not enjoying them as much as I'd hoped. The RWAK120 (to my ears) is slightly mid-centric. So is the Roxanne. Perhaps it's not the best match.

Would a brighter source open the Roxannes up a bit?

If only there were screws on the cable for bass and treble (hint, hint, JH Audio)

I just had AK120 and that is clearly not the DAP I would recommend for the Roxanne. 901 and Hugo work well with it. Have not tried AK240 with it yet (away for mod).

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #516 of 1,149

I just had AK120 and that is clearly not the DAP I would recommend for the Roxanne. 901 and Hugo work well with it. Have not tried AK240 with it yet (away for mod).

I have listened to both 120(own it) and 240(borrowed it for an extended listen session) with my rox and they both do a respectable job, IMHO.  What is it about the 120 you think is lacking?

Jun 25, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #517 of 1,149
I have listened to both 120(own it) and 240(borrowed it for an extended listen session) with my rox and they both do a respectable job, IMHO. What is it about the 120 you think is lacking?
I owned it and was not a fan with neither SE5 nor 1plus2. Found it a bit too warm, lacking space and air in the trebble. Just my experience though.

Jun 25, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #518 of 1,149

Thanks for the recommendations. I'd be interested to hear what you think about the AK240 with Roxanne - from what I've read the 240 has a cleaner, brighter sound than the 120, which could work well with the warm Roxanne. 

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #519 of 1,149
Thanks for the recommendations. I'd be interested to hear what you think about the AK240 with Roxanne - from what I've read the 240 has a cleaner, brighter sound than the 120, which could work well with the warm Roxanne. 
Well my Roxanne are back with JH and 240 with Vinnie, so it might be a while :D

Jun 25, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #520 of 1,149

Roxanne is revealing iems
Not all dap sounding good pair with Roxanne
I am agreed ak 120 pair with Roxanne is not good
Ak 240 pair with Roxanne is good
Ak 240 + amp like Mass Ko Bo 395 or Wagnus epsilon S = very good to excellent
Ak 240 + Hugo = excellent

IMO

Jun 25, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #522 of 1,149
  I thought I saw somewhere that the Hugo's amp was too noisy for use with extremely sensitive IEMs.  Can someone verify?  I'd love to be wrong about this.  

I used it with my Roxannes and had no issues.  It sounded very nice to me.  as usual YMMV and all that.

Jun 25, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #523 of 1,149
  I thought I saw somewhere that the Hugo's amp was too noisy for use with extremely sensitive IEMs.  Can someone verify?  I'd love to be wrong about this.  

I used it with my Roxannes and had no issues.  It sounded very nice to me.  as usual YMMV and all that.

If there is no gain setting then how can it drive the HD800 authority and not hiss directly out of the Hugo?  I'm starting to assume Roxanne is not analytical or that neutral but on the warm side, although BA are not known for being warm.  1p2 would be because of the dynamic drivers.  I can understand 120 with the Wolfson being warm and not as revealing with warm phones.  240 has the Cirrus, so probably not warm, so possibly go well with Roxannes.  Roxannes probably need an analytical source.  Typically they have the bold treble that Roxannes would probably benefit from.

I think I'm starting to understand synergy, correct me if I'm wrong, but I see it as

warm + cold = neutral
warm + warm = details hidden
cold + cold = bright?

I guess it's like the HD800 sounding too analytical so people get tube amps for it to balance it out.  Balance is the key.

Is it correct to equate analytical with cold?

Jun 25, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #524 of 1,149

wow this is completely false and not sure where you picked that up. It is totally black even with my tg334 and jh13fp which are both "noise detector"... not to mention my other less sensitive IEMs.

If there is no gain setting then how can it drive the HD800 authority and not hiss directly out of the Hugo?

Em... becoz only poorly implemented amp would hiss and Hugo's amp is properly implemented? we don't really need reduced output or gain switchs (unlike some "perks" offered by some maker :wink: to have your amp driving sensitive IEMs to 300ohm dynamic to inefficient ortho properly.

Jun 25, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #525 of 1,149
wow this is completely false and not sure where you picked that up. It is totally black even with my tg334 and jh13fp which are both "noise detector"... not to mention my other less sensitive IEMs.
Em... becoz only poorly implemented amp would hiss and Hugo's amp is properly implemented? we don't really need reduced output or gain switchs (unlike some "perks" offered by some maker
wink.gif
to have your amp driving sensitive IEMs to 300ohm dynamic to inefficient ortho properly.

If you know how gain works, you would know why headphones hiss.  You state poorly implemented, explain in detail how well implemented works if you happen to be an expert on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back