JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread
Apr 4, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #376 of 1,149
I'll be bringing my AK 120 and Roxanne customs to the show. Not sure who might have the universals, though.

Apr 4, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #377 of 1,149
I demoed the jh 16 13 and roxanne and found the latter to be significantly more detailed than the other two.

Apr 4, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #378 of 1,149
  Hoping to be able to hear some Universal Roxannes in Chicago at AXPONA. 

Crossing my fingers. Will be comparing to my 846s. 

Which vendor(s) do you think will bring Roxanne's? I'll probably go for a day also.

So, just noticed that JHAudio is now on the latest list of vendors at Axpona, so you would think they would have the universal demos with them...
blink.gif

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #380 of 1,149
The Roxanne's make anything sound great, that being said, they sound so good, that my iphone5 is not good enough sounds wise for me anymore, I ordered the Ibasso DX90 on the 7th and anxiously await pairing my Roxanne's with that

The 5 is perfectly adequate, I don't know if the 5s uses the same chip or not, but "adequate" is not good enough for me

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #381 of 1,149
My iPhone 5S sounds very good without an amp. Of course, they scale well with an amp or improved DAC, but I do enjoy the Roxanne's straight out of the iPhone. 

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #383 of 1,149
I really like the Roxannes out of my iPhone 5. Quite a bit of that is that they have a good synergy. Players such as the FiiO X5 and AK100/120 are a touch "warmer" in their presentation, so with the Roxanne (universal) which I think of as being a bit warmer too, it can be too much of a good thing. The iPhone is a bit sharper-sounding in comparison.

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #384 of 1,149
Does the fact they make music sound good mean they are not very sensitive or fast/revealing & detailed?

No

Regarding iOS devices: I don't have an iPhone, but I've plugged my Roxannes into my iPad mini 2.  The sound is pretty good.  Apple's ability to keep noise floors low is best in class.  The biggest loss relative to a higher quality source is the lack of front and back three dimensionality.  It pushes sounds together that would be clearly separated on my desktop source or Pico. 

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #389 of 1,149
No

Regarding iOS devices: I don't have an iPhone, but I've plugged my Roxannes into my iPad mini 2.  The sound is pretty good.  Apple's ability to keep noise floors low is best in class.  The biggest loss relative to a higher quality source is the lack of front and back three dimensionality.  It pushes sounds together that would be clearly separated on my desktop source or Pico. 

Interesting. What do you mean by 3d sound (carrying body)? I have seen this mentioned by others but am not aware of what this means.

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #390 of 1,149
Interesting. What do you mean by 3d sound (carrying body)? I have seen this mentioned by others but am not aware of what this means.

It's just the illusion of depth. Some noises in a recording sound far away. Others sound close. Two noises might occupy roughly the same frequency range and left right positioning in the stereo field. But if one has a resonance suggesting greater distance, the Roxannes do an excellent job separating it, making it sound as though it's clearly behind the other noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back