JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread
Mar 28, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #361 of 1,149
IMO Roxanne is a warm/dark IEM. Very emotional and thick. Fun but definitely far from neutral. YMMV depending on where you came from. My reference is EX1000 and 1plus2. If you compare HD800 signature with Roxanne, you will know what I mean.

Mar 28, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #362 of 1,149
 I just got my Roxanne's and I own SE846.

Sound quality wise they both sound wonderful.
Plenty of bass on both models, but Shure bass is a little clearer.
Treble is good and sparkly on both models.
I like the mids better on Shure, though. They sound more lush.
Soundstage and instrument separation is about the same.

Shure is very comfortable but stick out of the ear a little.
Roxanne's are obviously much bigger, but very comfortable nevertheless. And they don't stick out of the ear. They just go deeper in.

Build quality is very good on both models.
I love the Roxanne's cable connectors (the only problem is the collars, one of the is already broken). But it will be fixed by JHA vey soon.
I hate the Shure connectors and how the easily rotate. I got the aftermarket cable and sometimes the sound is cutting off because of that.

I am using Sony ZX1 loaded with ALAC and WAV files as the source DAP.

I love them both and I'll keep them both for sure.

Oh and the e500 comment was in response to the surprising review by Alkazhar of his Roxannes and seemingly to like sonically se846's more.  Which one would find surprising given the engineering of the Roxannes and their 12 drivers.  But again someone mentions well Shure seems to always throw out game changers.  That being said I was trying to figure out if I wanted to order the Roxannes or stick it out with the se846.  But as I stated the e500's really were game changers, and I feel like the se846 are the best product they've had since then.  The question is how do I get a hold of the Roxannes to compare without having to purchase them.  Already having dropped $1000 on the se846's.

Go to one of the meets and hope someone has one to demo. I'm scared to listen to one. I might like it too much and buy one.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #364 of 1,149
I have only had the 120 for a short time but they sound good out of it.  I listened to the 240 in SoCal and it sounded OK, I waited for a lul in the rush at the AK table to listen to them both.  I ended up getting the 120 due to the sound not being much different, IMO, and I like the size and shape of the 120 better than the 240.  Oh, and it was $1000 with the dock included free as a  bonus.

So the answer is, from me anyway, that it does not NEED an amp...but as always YMMV, and you should try it yourself and see.

I am going to mess around with my UHA760 and see what I think this weekend.
  how are people listening to there new roxanne's.  Will a AK100 need a amp, or will a AK240 need a amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back