JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread
Feb 26, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #302 of 1,149
  Does it take awhile for your ears to 'break-in' to CIEMs?  My ears get pretty sore after an hour or so. 

Yep! You will get used to them in a few days, and you won't feel a thing when wearing them 
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #303 of 1,149
  Quick questions - Does the Roxanne has more treble than Shure 846 (white filter)?

I don't own 846, but I have read every thread in the impression thread, as well as the Roxanne support group thread. From what was posted, Roxanne has extended treble, where as the 846 has rolled-off treble as mentioned by several. The only way to know for sure is for you to demo yourself!

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #304 of 1,149
Quick questions - Does the Roxanne has more treble than Shure 846 (white filter)?

From my demo time with universal Roxanne and 846 with white filter, I do believed that Roxy has more treble.
The 846 with white filter still sounds dark and roll-off to my liking.
I can't comment on ciem Roxy as haven't received them, just like many of us here

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #305 of 1,149
  Does it take awhile for your ears to 'break-in' to CIEMs?  My ears get pretty sore after an hour or so. 

Sounds like you might have a poor fit. Make a note of the "hot spots" where the shell is making your ears sore. You can send it back within 30 days for a re-fit (and, yes, more waiting, but it's worth it to have a good fit).

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #306 of 1,149

Sounds like you might have a poor fit. Make a note of the "hot spots" where the shell is making your ears sore. You can send it back within 30 days for a re-fit (and, yes, more waiting, but it's worth it to have a good fit).

Nope. If it hurts immediately, then there is definitely a fit issue. If it sores after awhile, then no, give it a few days.

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #307 of 1,149

You'll get use to it. I have the same experience with JH16 for the 1st full week on my right ear. I thought it's a fit issue. But the soreness was completely gone after 1 week. I have the Roxanne for almost 2 weeks now and I never get the same sore feeling no matter how long I have them in my ear.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #308 of 1,149
From my demo time with universal Roxanne and 846 with white filter, I do believed that Roxy has more treble.
The 846 with white filter still sounds dark and roll-off to my liking.
I can't comment on ciem Roxy as haven't received them, just like many of us here

Thank you!

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #309 of 1,149
So how is that possible to try and listen to CIEM when the body has been specifically customized ?

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #311 of 1,149

You'll get use to it. I have the same experience with JH16 for the 1st full week on my right ear. I thought it's a fit issue. But the soreness was completely gone after 1 week. I have the Roxanne for almost 2 weeks now and I never get the same sore feeling no matter how long I have them in my ear.

Have you posted your thoughts re: roxannes vs jh16 anywhere?

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #313 of 1,149
So how is that possible to try and listen to CIEM when the body has been specifically customized ?

The demo used foam tips on a set of IEMS to 'replicate' the seal/fit of the custom. Not perfect but the only way to do it without actually making the custom for you.

On another note some people have ears that are close enough to use each others CIEM's, again it wont be perfect but it can be close.

Mar 2, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #315 of 1,149
Somewhat early impressions, coming from a TG!334.  This is my 4th day using these with about 20 hours of headtime and another 4-5 hours on this burnin tool - http://www.jlabaudio.com/index/burn-in

Also to note, this is mostly with a Concero HP (2.2 output impedance) and rMBP headphone out, which I think might even be higher.  A friend at work is using my E17 so I'll give that a shot later this week.

Pros:
- Great resolution, full spectrum represented well.  
- Fairly neutral.  With bass controls lowered toward the bottom of the range perhaps just a slight warm tilt
- Timbre seems spot on.  
- Perhaps the smoothest ear/heaphone experience I've ever had.  Nothing has caught me out at all, totally non-fatiguing. I can crank the volume to what must be dangerous levels and feel okay. 
- Low bass is quite present and even, even on the lowest settings.  Has speaker-like authority and rumble.

Neutral:
- Jury's still out on the upper treble response.  Not sure if I hear it, but every once in awhile during quiter passages I am rather surprised at what these things can do... you do have moments where you feel you're listening to headphones.  It sounds great and natural, but not a trebletastic earphone despite all the extra tech to extend and even out the treble response.

Cons: 
- Somewhat veiled to my ears.  Sort of a percussive snap that's not quite there with bass string plucks, the kick drum, how guitars crunch, etc - but not in a way that seems to obscure detail, just a softness to the sound.  Again, this is relative to my 334 which despite the slightly sluggish bass and lack of upper extension has been called bright and analytical by some.  Playing around with the eq in itunes a bit, 2 dBs down @ 250 and 1+ @ 2k, 2+ @ 4k, 1+ @ 8k seem to do wonders.  Very small tweaks.  I've tried larger adjustments but things get wonky fast.  Then again I'm a rank amateur when it comes to harnessing the power of eq.  So this might be in the realm of different perception, anatomy, etc - or maybe just output impedance. 
- People have said in the past that the bass control doesn't interfere with the rest of the spectrum, but IMO it does actually reign in this veiled character.  I find myself going back and forth between 9am, 11am, and 1pm, and keep coming back to 9am at least in quieter environments.  Bass ramps up fast beyond 1pm and while it lends amazing body to some things, it doesn't take long before I find something that's just too mushy where I turn it down again.  This is somewhat unusual for me as I have basshead tendencies.
- The bass control is pretty cool, but it is a bit clunky hanging so close to the jack.  Also I was hoping I could do micro-adjustments with a thumbnail, no dice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back