JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #931 of 1,149
I've been sitting on this thought for a while...

I'm underwhelmed by the Roxanne's bass. No matter how much the dial is turned up, the mids crowd out the bass.

With my JH13s if there is punchy bass, it punches through the rest of the track, but with the Roxanne bass seems to go missing for some reason, particularly sub bass. Sub bass seems non-existent, particularly at low volumes. I strain to hear bass and sometimes just can't place it.

Am I the only one experiencing this?

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #932 of 1,149
I've never had an extended listen to the Roxanne, just an audition but it's a warmer sounding phone. I think you mean that when compared, midbass is forward of the low bass next to the 13. This is a similar effect to what happens in the 16 and what many prefer. Like you, I prefer the 13 and the 2 newer models, at least in that respect. Others will like the added warmth. I have no idea if this would work but I'd try actually turning the bass down. It;s possible that will reduce the midbass, lower mids and reveal the underlaying low bass with an overall tonality closer to the 13.

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #933 of 1,149
I'll give that a try, though I already find the Roxanne's mids a little forward for my liking. I fear turning the bass down will make the mids more prominent.

Maybe I just prefer (or am used to) a slightly v-shaped signature.

I think the JH13 sound signature with 12 drivers would sound wonderful; I do like the 'thickness' of the Roxanne. Perhaps one of the new models fits this description?

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #934 of 1,149
How much time have you run through it? My Roxanne really didn't open up til around 200 hours. I tick the treble and bass on the dx90 and I like it better than the jh16

Feb 20, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #935 of 1,149
  I've been sitting on this thought for a while...

I'm underwhelmed by the Roxanne's bass. No matter how much the dial is turned up, the mids crowd out the bass.

With my JH13s if there is punchy bass, it punches through the rest of the track, but with the Roxanne bass seems to go missing for some reason, particularly sub bass. Sub bass seems non-existent, particularly at low volumes. I strain to hear bass and sometimes just can't place it.

Am I the only one experiencing this?

I keep the bass dial on my Roxannes at its lowest setting, and I love it that way. Bass is already prominent enough that I leave it at that. At this level, bass is punchy, well textured, and has impressive extension. I've never found the mids on the Roxanne overpowering. It's lush, but never overbearing.

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #936 of 1,149
I've had the Roxanne for quite a long time now and it's opened up loads since it arrived.

It seems that, paradoxically, the bass at its lowest setting is the way to go. I'll try this later. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #937 of 1,149

I keep the bass dial on my Roxannes at its lowest setting, and I love it that way. Bass is already prominent enough that I leave it at that. At this level, bass is punchy, well textured, and has impressive extension. I've never found the mids on the Roxanne overpowering. It's lush, but never overbearing.

This is how I feel too. 

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #938 of 1,149
3 o clock here

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #940 of 1,149
2:30!

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #945 of 1,149
I'm at 2:30 but I consider these my fun, basshead In-Ears. I listen to the UERM when I want flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back