JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread
Feb 6, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #916 of 1,149
Right from the Posting Guidelines:
"Please don't recommend or post reviews of equipment you don't own or otherwise don't have a reasonable amount of familiarity with..."

Found here:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/posting-guidelines

Feb 7, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #918 of 1,149
  I am in more than one post, and there are enough people that would advice against roxanne right now, because they are lacking clarity. i think that you can also look into noble 10k?

sorry for intruding, then!

i will refrain from recommending things i do not know personally then!

Sure, it's okay, no problems there.

Just to clear up some confusion, though. The Roxanne is not lacking in clarity at all. It's not a bright IEM, so that could be a major contributing factor to this misconception. That, and hearsay.

Feb 7, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #919 of 1,149
I made a disclaimer and wasn't recommending in the basis of sound. But purely good financial reasons

Not buying it, you made assumptions on the comfort with no real experience with the product and you were referring to reviews and not personal experience...

Feb 8, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #920 of 1,149

Not buying it, you made assumptions on the comfort with no real experience with the product and you were referring to reviews and not personal experience...

Hmmm how can a earphone, with a similar shape/form factor of the Roxanne, except smaller can possibly be less comfortable.

Ahhh, clearly the laws of physics do not apply to earphones, the bigger the earphone, the more comfortable it is. I mean our ear canals are clearly made out of a highly stretchable rubber like material. Silly me.

The roxxanes universal, are by far, and by far, i mean a bloody mile. The least comfortable earphone in its form factor. Unless you have ears the size of caverns that can support a vibrant ecosystem, you will have a fit problem, you will be fidgeting it throughout the day, and you will have a damn field day finding suitable tips. It will take at least 3-4 days before you roughly find the best way to wear em.

Feb 8, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #921 of 1,149
Well, thats not my case. I consider myself to have not so big ears and Roxanne fit is perfect, the secret was a very deep insertion. It gets some days to get used to because its diferrent from mist of universals but never hurts and I even think its the clothest fit of a ciem an univeral can achieve although never had one. Also, it helps for an excellent sealing.
Agree if you have small ears it may be a problem but I guess the long bore was made on urpose to fit smaller ears.

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #922 of 1,149

Hmmm how can a earphone, with a similar shape/form factor of the Roxanne, except smaller can possibly be less comfortable.

Ahhh, clearly the laws of physics do not apply to earphones, the bigger the earphone, the more comfortable it is. I mean our ear canals are clearly made out of a highly stretchable rubber like material. Silly me.

The roxxanes universal, are by far, and by far, i mean a bloody mile. The least comfortable earphone in its form factor. Unless you have ears the size of caverns that can support a vibrant ecosystem, you will have a fit problem, you will be fidgeting it throughout the day, and you will have a damn field day finding suitable tips. It will take at least 3-4 days before you roughly find the best way to wear em.

ROFL - you do realize you don't HAVE to put the whole earpiece in your ear canal, right?
blink.gif

Only the tip needs to go in there, AND you CAN select a tip of the right size to fit it to your ear, you know. 
There have been a few people I have talked to that have very small canals that have issues getting a small enough tips (my mother being one of them). 
Some even have had issues getting custom earpieces to fit.

The only "laws of Physics" would be due to the weight of the earpieces.  As I said above, selecting appropriate sized tip addresses lack of stretchy rubber ear canals in humans,,,heh, that was funny. and yes silly of you...
tongue_smile.gif

So now you are saying you tried them and know this form experience? 
confused_face_2.gif
If so, then I retract me earlier statement, if not then you are still making guesses with something you have no first hand experience with.

I have tried both K10u and Roxanne Uni several times and did not feel either of them was less comfortable than the other.  it should be noted that this was only for short auditions as I did not buy either of them.  I find the custom fit Roxanne and UE7s I own to be much more comfortable than any of the universals that I have tried.

But enough of that, Anyone have any more impressions on the aftermarket cables to share?

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #923 of 1,149

ROFL - you do realize you don't HAVE to put the whole earpiece in your ear canal, right?
blink.gif

Only the tip needs to go in there, AND you CAN select a tip of the right size to fit it to your ear, you know. 
There have been a few people I have talked to that have very small canals that have issues getting a small enough tips (my mother being one of them). 
Some even have had issues getting custom earpieces to fit.

The only "laws of Physics" would be due to the weight of the earpieces.  As I said above, selecting appropriate sized tip addresses lack of stretchy rubber ear canals in humans,,,heh, that was funny. and yes silly of you...
tongue_smile.gif

So now you are saying you tried them and know this form experience? 
confused_face_2.gif
If so, then I retract me earlier statement, if not then you are still making guesses with something you have no first hand experience with.

I have tried both K10u and Roxanne Uni several times and did not feel either of them was less comfortable than the other.  it should be noted that this was only for short auditions as I did not buy either of them.  I find the custom fit Roxanne and UE7s I own to be much more comfortable than any of the universals that I have tried.

But enough of that, Anyone have any more impressions on the aftermarket cables to share?

Silly me, was wondering why i needed to use pliers to get them out.

This is common knowledge, but since you dont seem to have a firm understanding of the obvious, ill explain it slowly =).

A ear, does consist of more than just the canals, move your fingers to you ears, do you feel that? Yeap, its your outer ear, you see owing to the size of earphones, they do tend to rest on your outer ears, some more than the others, Like for example the Roxannes.

Now owing to the fact that some people have ears the size of caverns like obama, or you for example, gigantic earphones the size of golf balls pose no discomfort whatsoever. Personally, for me, having normal sized ears, the roxxanes are pushing the limits of comfort, it was sore as hell on the first day, in addition, i could not seem to get the bores of the right one to fit properly, as my outer ears was pushing the rest of the earphone out. Anything else, like the IM04, quite large, similar form factor to the K10U, Perfect.  For the TG334, perfect.

Now naturally, when one gives advice on fit, one takes into consideration the size of ones ears and the size of the others. And to be on the safe side, you post disclaimers saying that the roxx (Universal in particular) is likely to not feel anywhere near as comfortable with other smaller sized earphones of similar form factors.

I stand by what i said, the K10U is unlikely to pose any discomfort, how do i know, well i saw pictures of it next to the roxx. How can i know with reasonable certainty that it is going to be more comfortable than the roxx? Well, how can i have reasonable certainty that Lucy Liu is asian instead of Caucasian having only seen her pictures and not experienced her.

Dang numit, thats hard.

On cables, love the fact that cables for the roxx is so limited. Makes one less likely to spend money on snake oil of various impedance's.

Feb 8, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #924 of 1,149
ROFL - thanks I needed a good laugh...
beerchug.gif

As for the cables I am just looking for a longer one, I don't look for sound changes when it comes to cables.

Feb 13, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #927 of 1,149
Just wanted to post that, after needing some service on my cables of my Roxanne Universals, I had to ship them back and out of my ears. I now have an all-new appreciation for them. My back-up pair, which I will not name here, pales in comparison in so many ways to my Roxanne's. I didn't realize how spoiled I had become in the several months of JH Audio Roxanne ownership. Truly a great investment. I look forward to their return!

Feb 13, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #929 of 1,149
A new review.
http://www.cnet.com/news/hear-it-all-jh-audio-roxanne-in-ear-headphones/

Nice review. Glad to see more appreciation for the Roxanne, especially considering the huge shadow of the Layla looming right over it. Steve even mentions that the Roxanne isn't supplanted by the Layla.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back