JH Audio Lola Impressions and Discussions
Sep 16, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #331 of 739
Which do you like best? I liked both Lola and Roxanne. I just can't justify both since I bought Legend X and A12t.
I would've said Lola in the beginning. But now, i'd say Roxanne. Yeah, if i were you and could only pick one, i'd pick roxanne. Roxanne is really good. sounds like a full sized headphone.

Oct 2, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #332 of 739
I do. I can make a comparison between the two this weekend if you’d like.

Were you able to find time to do a Lola to Phantom comparison? I listened to both, but not at the same time and both were several months ago. I seem to think the Lola had clarity than Phantom, but I don't trust my memory enough and don't want to pay shipping again to get both as loaners if I don't need to. A comparison from you might jog my memory.

Oct 17, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #333 of 739
Were you able to find time to do a Lola to Phantom comparison? I listened to both, but not at the same time and both were several months ago. I seem to think the Lola had clarity than Phantom, but I don't trust my memory enough and don't want to pay shipping again to get both as loaners if I don't need to. A comparison from you might jog my memory.

Hey man! So, so sorry for the delay on the Lola v. Phantom comparison. I've been super busy with reviews lately, and I've just now got some time to get to that comparison. Here it is:

The main difference between the Lola and Phantom is forwardness. The Phantom’s vocals are pushed a bit further forward, while the Lola’s are sat further back. The Lola is more laid-back-sounding overall, due to its larger, airier stage. Instruments span further outwards in both width and depth. The Phantom’s attack is also softer-sounding with a wetter timbre, while the Lola’s top-end is a bit crisper and tighter. The Lola has a more guttural sub-bass, while the Phantom’s is more pillowy and warm. So, to conclude, I’s probably recommend the Lola over the Phantom if you want a larger, airier stage and a more visceral (adjustable) low-end, and you don’t mind your instruments more neutrally-positioned. On the other hand, the Phantom would be preferred if you want a wetter, richer sound with more intimate instruments and a softer high-end.

'Hope it jogs your memory, and helps with your eventual purchase.

Cheers! :D

Nov 29, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #334 of 739
I'm on the same boat here, would like to get the Lola's, since from memory Roxanne sounded like A12t. But I remember kinda a peak on midhigh to high on the Lola.

I'm really looking for a good detailed mid to high IEM to fit the gaps on my current ones.

Nov 29, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #335 of 739
I have to eq my Lola at all time. Basically bring down 4k onward by about 4db. I've been trying to contact cable makers to add a fixed resistor to the treble in the cable, but no luck so far.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #336 of 739
Dec 14, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #338 of 739
Lola's midrange DD conveys a sense of depth, the body of images in a way that no other IEM can. JH is clearly on the right track here. It's just that the high drivers need to be eqed down for me.

Now that Roxanne Aion is out, I hope Lola gets the 7 pin treatment too. That way, with whatever cable JH is coming up with, I'd finally be able to tune down the high frequency on the cable.

Dec 14, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #339 of 739
Now that Roxanne Aion is out, I hope Lola gets the 7 pin treatment too. That way, with whatever cable JH is coming up with, I'd finally be able to tune down the high frequency on the cable.

There are already separate circuits for the lows, mids, and highs. I have a cable that can adjust each of them separately. JH Audio simply hasn't released one that does that yet.

A seven pin cable would allow six way electrically isolated circuits that could be turned.

Unfortunately, I don't think that is what JH Audio has in mind and I think they are going down the "cables make major differences to the sound so let's fix something that isn't broken" route.

As far as the highs, I usually wish I could turn them up, as sometimes they seem to sound a little too smooth and warm at the end of the day when my ears are tired.

Dec 14, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #340 of 739
I have tried Lola and Roxanne and sometimes wonder which to get since I have Legend X, Phantom and A12t.

Dec 14, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #341 of 739
There are already separate circuits for the lows, mids, and highs. I have a cable that can adjust each of them separately. JH Audio simply hasn't released one that does that yet.

I am aware of that, and I have a cable with 6 band eq made by a local DIYer. Using the tuning module used in bass pod (Tocos G43 trimpot resistors) what I found was that:
1. There are too much room for adjustment using 100ohm variable resistor. I only needed about 20ohm of adjustment for high signal. If JH is coming up with a cable like this, I hope that they are aware of this issue.
2. The variable resistor degrades the sound. You won't notice it if it is on the bass, but adding that resistor to the mid and high signal path puts a veil on everything. I hope JH is aware of this too. They need very high quality resistor parts. If no variable resistor parts can sound transparent, then this 4pin 7pin gimmick will sure go to waste.

Dec 15, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #342 of 739
I imagine the purpose of a resistor would be to veil and turn down the treble and mids... Not sure how else the treble or miss could be turned down without making it sound more veiled. It doesn't sound bright to me though by default, and any less treble would sound veiled I think, but to me that's just another word for lacking treble. What do you mean by veiled?
Smeared transients? Something other than certain frequencies being turned down?

I'm sure JH Audio will measure the effects if they ever do release such a thing and make sure it's working as intended. Or maybe they will make versions without crossovers in the earphones and make an active amp module like they did with the JH3A.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #343 of 739
I imagine the purpose of a resistor would be to veil and turn down the treble and mids... Not sure how else the treble or miss could be turned down without making it sound more veiled. It doesn't sound bright to me though by default, and any less treble would sound veiled I think, but to me that's just another word for lacking treble. What do you mean by veiled?
Smeared transients? Something other than certain frequencies being turned down?

I'm sure JH Audio will measure the effects if they ever do release such a thing and make sure it's working as intended. Or maybe they will make versions without crossovers in the earphones and make an active amp module like they did with the JH3A.

Doesn't variable resistor turns down the volume (of the mids and highs), the same way it turns down the volume of the bass?

I think my ears are good enough too differentiate lack of treble volume vs lack of transparency. Another way to put it: after adding the variable resistor to the signal path, even when the resistor is turned to 0 ohm (i.e. I am not eqing the FR), I still hear noticeable veil. It really is about the quality of the parts, IMO.

I hope so, but I am genuinely worried since they could have released this 6-band cable literally 6 years ago. If they can make it work, it sure will be a hit. The fact that they are going down this rabbit hole and release a 7 pin cable may be a sign that they figured something out, e.g. custom-made high quality variable resistors. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #345 of 739
since one of the main selling points for Lola is mids and adored for vocals, how does angie compare to Lola

Angie has a perfect tuning for me, I am really surprised, as in Hong Kong i auditioned Layla and did not like it at all as the mids were so recessed, but i am not sure if I was too tired when I listened to Layla or that is how it is compared to Angie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back