JH Audio Layla vs. JH Audio Roxanne
Mar 5, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #17 of 174
Hi, I am not a recording engineer but I do want something fun. For me, I listen to all types of music ranging from Pop, Rock, Gospel, Country, Classical and Broadway Musicals. I want something that going to give me all the detail and imagining of a Sennheiser HD-800 but also sound musical like a pair of 3D theater speakers. In all, I want to hear the mid (vocalist as if they were singing to me personality along withe amount of breath they took and upfront connection), High's ( sparkle of the violins and flutes that make you teary eyes) and Low (Thump that gives you the sense of a massive explosion coming from some mystical power of Dark Vader ( Star Wars or "the Pheonix from X-Men).  Which do you think is better The JH-Audio Roxiannes, Layla's or Ultimate Ear UE-18 and Keiser K-10's.

Anyone can respond if they know what I'm looking for and meets that sound signature.

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #19 of 174
Hi, I am not a recording engineer but I do want something fun. For me, I listen to all types of music ranging from Pop, Rock, Gospel, Country, Classical and Broadway Musicals. I want something that going to give me all the detail and imagining of a Sennheiser HD-800 but also sound musical like a pair of 3D theater speakers. In all, I want to hear the mid (vocalist as if they were singing to me personality along withe amount of breath they took and upfront connection), High's ( sparkle of the violins and flutes that make you teary eyes) and Low (Thump that gives you the sense of a massive explosion coming from some mystical power of Dark Vader ( Star Wars or "the Pheonix from X-Men).  Which do you think is better The JH-Audio Roxiannes, Layla's or Ultimate Ear UE-18 and Keiser K-10's.

Anyone can respond if they know what I'm looking for and meets that sound signature.

From your description, it can't be a roxx, as the mids on roxanne tends to be dark and cloudy. And about the bass, it's true that you can set it to different levels, but changing this would also 'transform' roxanne quite significantly. And the high is okay, but the clarity isn't top notch.

From the type of the mids, i'd say you would love Legend R. legend R isn't a bass heavy CIEM tho, but she will play it when the track calls it.

As for layla and K10 i don't know and i don't wanna know ( otherwise i'm gonna be tempted and order one, especially K10 ) :D

Hope it helps

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #24 of 174
My first time reading about these. I wish I have researched about it earlier before purchasing the roxannes

If I were you I would look into what other Roxanne reviewers have stated as their opinion differs quite a bit from what that dude said. Then there's the question of whether he heard the universal or custom version and also burn in.

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #25 of 174
All I can say about the Layla's is that its only been a hand few number of times a new headphone has truly amazed me...first when my HD800s arrived, then the first Audeze headphone arrived (LCD-2 way back when it was first released), then when I first heard the SR-007Mk1s properly driven and finally when my SR-009s arrived. I can now add listening to the Layla's...they are just that good and impressive!

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #26 of 174
  All I can say about the Layla's is that its only been a hand few number of times a new headphone has truly amazed me...first when my HD800s arrived, then the first Audeze headphone arrived (LCD-2 way back when it was first released), then when I first heard the SR-007Mk1s properly driven and finally when my SR-009s arrived. I can now add listening to the Layla's...they are just that good and impressive!

Have you ever heard the Roxanne's?

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #27 of 174

Have you ever heard the Roxanne's?

Just the universals...I loved them, but they certainly didn't wow me like the Layla's. I've got a review pair here for a write up I'm doing for headphone.guru...gonna be hard to send these back for sure!

Mar 10, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #29 of 174
Perhaps u can try the custom Roxanne for extended period of listening and substantial burn in.

I got a great fit with them both, so customs weren't needed, and burn in is a myth with IEMs in my experiences.

Plus listening to customs of both would be like a $4k experiment. No thanks. :p

Mar 10, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #30 of 174
Customs are different though, it's not just about fit. The drivers are positioned a certain way based on the shape of your ear, something you can't get with universals. Also burn in is not a myth, with iems and even cables there's a period of muddiness you experience before the sound opens up, a lot of electronics that produce sound go through this stage including things like speakers and tubes in guitar amps. I remember not too long ago people were saying that cable upgrades serve no purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back