JH Audio Layla vs. JH Audio Roxanne
Mar 14, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #48 of 174
So I guess you haven't adjusted the bass on the Layla's? Makes a big difference. I love them in "totally" flat position, but I prefer them with the bass sent to noon. Really gives them a touch of warmth and increases my personal listening pleasure. YMMV here, but it is great to have to option to adjust to one's tastes.

With regards to being an X-Ray into the music, I totally agree with you, which is why I love them so much (this is coming from a SR-009 and HD800 owner). :wink:
I have similar preferences as you do, coming from the Hd800 and SR009. I like to hear the music with the least colouration. What I am interested in is the Layla's ability to morph into a darker sounding headphone. Do you feel that could be done in a coherent and natural manner with the bass adjustment, or do you just get an increase the bass in quantity?

Mar 14, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #49 of 174
I have similar preferences as you do, coming from the Hd800 and SR009. I like to hear the music with the least colouration. What I am interested in is the Layla's ability to morph into a darker sounding headphone. Do you feel that could be done in a coherent and natural manner with the bass adjustment, or do you just get an increase the bass in quantity?

I wouldn't say that they become "warm" as the mids and treble remain very neutral...just a bit more bass down low and it is still presented very naturally and coherent. Maybe they are a tad warmer with more bass though?

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #51 of 174

I wouldn't say that they become "warm" as the mids and treble remain very neutral...just a bit more bass down low and it is still presented very naturally and coherent. Maybe they are a tad warmer with more bass though?

Probably a very stupid question but how does the Layla compare with the SR009 and HD800 when properly driven? I don't really travel much so the Layla would be confined mostly to home use. I don't suppose it surpasses the SR009 and HD800 in terms of soundstage, resolution and tonal balance?

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #52 of 174

Probably a very stupid question but how does the Layla compare with the SR009 and HD800 when properly driven? I don't really travel much so the Layla would be confined mostly to home use. I don't suppose it surpasses the SR009 and HD800 in terms of soundstage, resolution and tonal balance?

Not a stupid question at all...it's fairly competitive to all of my headphones that aren't the SR-009s. They really are in my top 4-5 of all time (and the others are all full sized headphones).
eek.gif
 That's why I'm so impressed with them...I didn't think IEMs could fully compete this way.

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #53 of 174

Not a stupid question at all...it's fairly competitive to all of my headphones that aren't the SR-009s. They really are in my top 4-5 of all time (and the others are all full sized headphones).
eek.gif
 That's why I'm so impressed with them...I didn't think IEMs could fully compete this way.

That is quite a feat. But I'm not sure I could justify myself pulling the trigger on one of those when they are about the same level of the HD800, particularly where they are 2x the price!

Mar 15, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #54 of 174
  That is quite a feat. But I'm not sure I could justify myself pulling the trigger on one of those when they are about the same level of the HD800, particularly where they are 2x the price!

They aren't cheap...but consider with the HD800s, to drive them to what I consider to, or close to their best is a GS-X Mk2 + Metrum Accoustics Hex. While with the Layla's I have an AK100II. So overall, the pricing is much higher on the HD800s.

Mar 15, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #55 of 174

They aren't cheap...but consider with the HD800s, to drive them to what I consider to, or close to their best is a GS-X Mk2 + Metrum Accoustics Hex. While with the Layla's I have an AK100II. So overall, the pricing is much higher on the HD800s.

Isn't a Chord Hugo better than the AK100II? To get the most out of IEM's, it's also quite pricey. 

Mar 15, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #56 of 174

Isn't a Chord Hugo better than the AK100II? To get the most out of IEM's, it's also quite pricey. 

The Chord is too big and bulky. Not to worry, to get the most out them I have the GS-X Mk2 (on low gain) + Metrum Hex. 
wink.gif

Mar 15, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #57 of 174

The Chord is too big and bulky. Not to worry, to get the most out them I have the GS-X Mk2 (on low gain) + Metrum Hex
wink.gif

How do you compare the Hugo to the Metrum Hex?

Mar 15, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #58 of 174
  How do you compare the Hugo to the Metrum Hex?

I've only briefly compared them and don't have enough experience with the Hugo to say much (though it is really good as a portable unit)...but it's not really fair to compare a fully balanced full sized DAC against a portable unit.

Mar 15, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #59 of 174

I've only briefly compared them and don't have enough experience with the Hugo to say much (though it is really good as a portable unit)...but it's not really fair to compare a fully balanced full sized DAC against a portable unit.

Hee Hee Hee, I dare you to post this message in the Chord Hugo thread and see the reaction from the folks that stated that the Hugo will kill anything under $5K and many 10K products desktop or not. Ironically, it is like someone may say that it is not fair to compare an iem (Layla) to full size cans. 

Mar 15, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #60 of 174
  Hee Hee Hee, I dare you to post this message in the Chord Hugo thread and see the reaction from the folks that stated that the Hugo will kill anything under $5K and many 10K products desktop or not. Ironically, it is like someone may say that it is not fair to compare an iem (Layla) to full size cans. 

I actually prefer the AK240 to the Hugo on my brief auditions. Don't forget there's a lot of Hugo detractors out there too.

But seriously, there's only so much you can do with such a small form factor in terms of power supply, etc... 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back