JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Feb 26, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #2,026 of 2,420
I have been playing around with cables on my ciem Layla’s and cables and tips on my iem Noble Encores all weekend. I must tell you on my Encore’s rolling tips made a bigger difference then cables. While I’m on the cables do make a sonic difference team I think it’s more subtle. For my portable rig I use an A&K 320 into a Hugo2. I played a lot this weekend with tips, from spinfit (hate them) to Symbio (better) to foam tips. Your personal preference is most important. From other blogs guys would chime in that comply boost bass and attenuate treble... i feel comply tips without wax guard and turned so they do not block the ports work better for me. The spinfit really attenuate the bass and cause woodwind instruments like my sax to sound more like brass instruments in tone. Piano’s took on a steel like texture as mallets struck the strings. Symbio tips were better for me in most of these areas. Bass moved a little more forward, but still too far in the background, I found myself pushing the tips further in my ear canal. While woodwinds sounded more natural they still had a brassy texture and I found it a little difficult to distinguish between a bass clarinet and a tenor sax (which I have played all my life). The comply round sans wax guard seemed to clarify things better. This is one man’s opinion and I may stand alone.
My layla ciem have a great fit as I sat in their office for hours as they worked on making my fit as good as possible. After playing with cables I fell in love with the sound of the Effect Audio EOS cable on my Layla’s. Especially on my home rig; PS audio Direct Stream, Antipodes DX and Rupert Neves RNHP. The EOS seems to add more air, and separation among instruments, etc. bass instruments seem tighter not more in quantity. Vocals again more air and more natural in tone.

Feb 27, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #2,028 of 2,420
I have been playing around with cables on my ciem Layla’s and cables and tips on my iem Noble Encores all weekend. I must tell you on my Encore’s rolling tips made a bigger difference then cables. While I’m on the cables do make a sonic difference team I think it’s more subtle. For my portable rig I use an A&K 320 into a Hugo2. I played a lot this weekend with tips, from spinfit (hate them) to Symbio (better) to foam tips. Your personal preference is most important. From other blogs guys would chime in that comply boost bass and attenuate treble... i feel comply tips without wax guard and turned so they do not block the ports work better for me. The spinfit really attenuate the bass and cause woodwind instruments like my sax to sound more like brass instruments in tone. Piano’s took on a steel like texture as mallets struck the strings. Symbio tips were better for me in most of these areas. Bass moved a little more forward, but still too far in the background, I found myself pushing the tips further in my ear canal. While woodwinds sounded more natural they still had a brassy texture and I found it a little difficult to distinguish between a bass clarinet and a tenor sax (which I have played all my life). The comply round sans wax guard seemed to clarify things better. This is one man’s opinion and I may stand alone.
My layla ciem have a great fit as I sat in their office for hours as they worked on making my fit as good as possible. After playing with cables I fell in love with the sound of the Effect Audio EOS cable on my Layla’s. Especially on my home rig; PS audio Direct Stream, Antipodes DX and Rupert Neves RNHP. The EOS seems to add more air, and separation among instruments, etc. bass instruments seem tighter not more in quantity. Vocals again more air and more natural in tone.
Small Comply Foams + Deep Insertion are probably the best way to go for the JH Siren Series!

May 3, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #2,030 of 2,420
Hi there!
I use my Layla go to sleep and some of the small plastic tape wrap between the faceplate and shell loose and come out, is there any way I can glue it back?
Thanks!!!

861525360731_.pic.jpg 851525360731_.pic.jpg

Attachments

• 851525360731_.pic.jpg
    851525360731_.pic.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 0
May 4, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #2,031 of 2,420
Have you tried anything like beat audio/plussound?
I have the plussound x8 in silver+gold. It is slightly better than the silver dragons in terms of staging and resolution. Silibance is less of an issue with the x8s compared to the silver dragon. Plussound however is much stiffer(they use a new shielding now). Im selling my plussounds for the price of a new silver dragon if you are interested.

May 23, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #2,032 of 2,420
Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #2,033 of 2,420

Users who are viewing this thread

Back