JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Oct 23, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #2,056 of 2,420
Laylas are difficult to pair with the right amp. From what you describe, it's similar to what a bad pairing sounds like. I have not figured out what specifications are required for a good pairing so all I have is trial and error with amps and DACs that I've owned. Here is a list of good pairings:
  • AK SP1000 DAP
  • Sony NW-WM1A/Z DAP
  • Audiquest Dragonfly Red DAC/Amp
  • ALO Continental Dual Mono DAC/Amp
  • Chord Mojo DAC/Amp
  • Chord Hugo II DAC/Amp
  • Vorzuge Pure II+ Amp

Thanks bflat.

I've been listening to them more and enjoying the musicality and soundstage, so I'll spend a little while working myself up to it and then think about a Hugo 2 or CDM.

Is there any point to a Dragonfly as a relatively cheap way to test the impact of a different DAC/amp, or would the differences likely be marginal?

Oct 24, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #2,057 of 2,420
Thanks bflat.

I've been listening to them more and enjoying the musicality and soundstage, so I'll spend a little while working myself up to it and then think about a Hugo 2 or CDM.

Is there any point to a Dragonfly as a relatively cheap way to test the impact of a different DAC/amp, or would the differences likely be marginal?

The DFR would be the lowest cost to try out and a good portable DAC to have on hand.

Nov 15, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #2,059 of 2,420
I have settled on using a Pico Power with my Layla’s and really, really like the combo. PP sounds better than my Hugo IMHO which took a little while to accept. Justin makes some incredibly good and simple (Pico) products.

Dec 22, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #2,060 of 2,420
Okay @twister6 im done being patient. Ready for you to review the Layla :o2smile:

Dec 22, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #2,061 of 2,420
Dec 22, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #2,062 of 2,420
Hope so! That’s always surprised me that you haven’t heard jh IEMs

Jan 3, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #2,067 of 2,420
In terms of instrument separation and layering, my Tia Fourte stands head and shoulders above the Layla. There have been quite a few IEMs at or even surpassed this ridiculous price range ever since the Layla came out. I haven't tried all of them but the Layla is still quite enjoyable when compared with these new beasts, and as many have said, at this point it is more a matter of taste rather than quality. The one that truly stands out for me, in terms of quality, is the Tia Fourte, when paired with the correct cables and players - but that's just me and your mileage may vary.

Wish everyone Happy New Year

- from the starter of the thread and the first reviewer of JH Audio Layla

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #2,068 of 2,420
Hi everyone -

I made a bit of an impulse decision to buy a pair of custom Laylas after having owned JH-13s for something like 6-7 years. I should have done more research; I went with "JH13s good; flagship must be better" logic.

I am, to be honest, profoundly unimpressed: the soundstage with the Laylas is much better than the JH13, but otherwise the Laylas are recessed across mid/highs, lack the impact/attack of the JH13s, and the base feels anaemic at the neutral position and flabby at anything above it.

I'm using them both with an old Corda Symphony II. Any suggestions on a DAC/amp pairing that might improve them somewhat? I don't want them to sit in a cupboard unused, but I also don't want throw good money after bad and buy another DAC/amp if the difference is going to be marginal.

Thoughts? Help?
Yep I had the same complaints about Ciem Layla when I initially received them. Luckily I live in Orlando and went back to JH audio and they worked on my fit for about two hours until it was perfect. Man, what a difference! there was no comparison to the universal no matter which tips we used, I haven’t been able to find anything better paired with the limited edition EOS the sound above bass really smoothed and with better separation. I would like to buy that e4ua adapter, so I can better tune the bass, right now I use a little eq...

Jan 4, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #2,070 of 2,420
Any hiss issues with the Hugo2? There was an old post with Hugo1 mentioning slight hiss, but could not find anything related to hiss with the Hugo2. Would be great to get an 'no hiss' confirmation with the Hugo2 in that is the case. Thxs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back