JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #1,411 of 2,420

In that case, someone would have to upload some high quality copyright free music files so everyone can use those as the reference tracks.

http://www.2l.no/hires/

Numerous hi res and DSD

Exquisite recording quality too....

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #1,414 of 2,420

Agreed - also paying for your music isn't all that bad, is it :wink:

No, I do mean FREE test tracks, and all you need is to register an account.

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #1,416 of 2,420

Didn't know that - very cool.

Do you notice quality difference of DSD vs Flac Lossless with your Laylas?

I would say very little as long as we are talking about the same song that mastered the same.  I only have one album that I own that I bought both versions, which sounded the same to me but I am not sure about the mastering as they were from different stores.  However, up-sampling FLAC 16/44 CD rips to DSD128 with my VentureCraft SounDroid Valoq does sound better.

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #1,417 of 2,420

I can confirm this works. Just tried it out and oh yeah! Matter of fact, when trimming the top of the foamie you can EQ your treble. Take it all off and no trebble reduction, leave it all on and muffled. Leave just a little and you can compensate for unwanted spikes like my Cayin c5's. 

Tried with the regular (also blue, looks cool) comply t-500, without wax guard. Gonna try the tsx-500 later, after I rock out to some seriously clear and beautiful Layla sound.

PS turning the bass dial all the way up with a t-500 comply tip modded like this gives some serious oomph without any muddiness. (As was also reported before me - just confirming)

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #1,419 of 2,420
That's a lot of oomph :).  Also, I advice using dental floss as a guild before cutting.

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #1,420 of 2,420
I can confirm this works. Just tried it out and oh yeah! Matter of fact, when trimming the top of the foamie you can EQ your treble. Take it all off and no trebble reduction, leave it all on and muffled. Leave just a little and you can compensate for unwanted spikes like my Cayin c5's. 

Tried with the regular (also blue, looks cool) comply t-500, without wax guard. Gonna try the tsx-500 later, after I rock out to some seriously clear and beautiful Layla sound.

PS turning the bass dial all the way up with a t-500 comply tip modded like this gives some serious oomph without any muddiness. (As was also reported before me - just confirming)

So basically, I have to reshape the foam tips ( the one that comes with Layla ) to look like the yellow tips that comes with shure ?

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #1,421 of 2,420
So basically, I have to reshape the foam tips ( the one that comes with Layla ) to look like the yellow tips that comes with shure ?

You don't have to and personally I don't on my Layla either, but some people may find this helpful.

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #1,422 of 2,420

You definitely don't *have* to, but if you're curious I suggest buying a 3-pack of comply 500 tips (t - or ts or tsx if you want to experiment) and buy them all in your size (S/M/L). I made the mistake of taking the scissors to my only pair of M complies (the ones that came with the Laylas). Cutting all the extra foam off made them too harsh with my C5. Then I had to wait for two weeks until these new ones arrived.

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #1,423 of 2,420
You definitely don't *have* to, but if you're curious I suggest buying a 3-pack of comply 500 tips (t - or ts or tsx if you want to experiment) and buy them all in your size (S/M/L). I made the mistake of taking the scissors to my only pair of M complies (the ones that came with the Laylas). Cutting all the extra foam off made them too harsh with my C5. Then I had to wait for two weeks until these new ones arrived.

I meant to do this mode. I have to ....

I didn't mean that I have to as I must do it once I got the tips to activate it or whatever.

But thanks for ur info.

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #1,424 of 2,420
Unless the tips are getting deformed to the point of blocking sound inside your ears, there isn't a big need to do this.

Feb 9, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #1,425 of 2,420
Can anyone shed some light:

Each earpiece has 3 bore sound tubes. Each one of those sound tube bores should be different lengths which makes sense. However, these three different bores various lengths should be the exact same on each ear piece.

The shortest bore sound tube on my right earpiece and left earpiece don't look equal length.

Is this normal? Also, the driver placement isn't exactly symmetrical from one earpiece to the other? I'm curious to know about these few things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back