JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #1,426 of 2,420
  Unless the tips are getting deformed to the point of blocking sound inside your ears, there isn't a big need to do this.

You can even see if they are. After a longer period, the warmth in the ear turns the tips into mush, but when I take mine out after having them in for about five minutes I can see part of the tip is in the way of the largest sound bore. But that's an extreme. In the way or not, the amount of foam after the tip clearly EQ-s treble. If it does something to the bass is individual I guess, depends on the ear.

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #1,427 of 2,420
Can anyone shed some light:

Each earpiece has 3 bore sound 
tubes. Each one of those sound tube bores should be different lengths which makes sense. However, these three different bores various lengths should be the exact same on each ear piece.

The shortest bore sound tube on my right earpiece and left earpiece don't look equal length.

Is this normal? Also, the driver placement isn't exactly symmetrical from one earpiece to the other? I'm curious to know about these few things.

You are talking about universal?

It is completely asymmetrical, unless you are lucky enough to get Layla with perfect finishing.

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #1,428 of 2,420
So, what do you guys think about sources for the Laylas? Thinking of upgrading from my fiio x3 and cayin c5 combo, but I don't have the dough for ak320 or 380. I might squeeze in a used 240. I'm also thinking of a Fiio x7 stack for the great DAC it's supposed to have. Feeding amps that have huge soundstage - people mention Vorzuge pure 2 and Headstage Arrow. (I want something even wider and deeper than Cayin)

Thing is, after I heard how underwhelming the Laylas were from the Mojo (seriously bad match) I'm sort of weary of new purchases.

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #1,432 of 2,420
FYI, for those suffering with the fit of these beauties, these triple flange tips fit:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DJ5RYYS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01

Also, as a bonus, since triple flanges sit deeper in your ear canal (those with small ear canals need not apply), the units themselves protrude much less and therefore are more inconspicuous. 

Feb 15, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #1,433 of 2,420
  FYI, for those suffering with the fit of these beauties, these triple flange tips fit:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DJ5RYYS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01

Also, as a bonus, since triple flanges sit deeper in your ear canal (those with small ear canals need not apply), the units themselves protrude much less and therefore are more inconspicuous. 

I'm not exactly having trouble with the fit, but since the size of the Laylas protrude out so much and uses such a long acrylic bore / canal to get a proper seat in your ears, it feels really invasive after a while and my ears get really oily and itchy. I have never had this problem with 846 as when worn properly it fits the ear's anatomy snugly and the metal canal doesn't protrude quite as deep into my ear canals. I deduce that the long-term comfort factor is due to the length of the bore / canal and not the actual tips (both are Spinfits). 

Makes me contemplate on getting custom Laylas to make them fit better, as the sound is so much more open and spacious than the 846. 

Feb 15, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #1,434 of 2,420

Nice find dude, very grateful.

Feb 16, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #1,437 of 2,420
  mmm.......just wondering: any of you guys had a chance to listen to or audition the Layla II?

Not sure if it is worth the trouble if you already have the Layla... By all means go for the K10 if you don't have it yet. K10's female vocal is much more "poisonous" than the Layla's.

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #1,438 of 2,420

Not sure if it is worth the trouble if you already have the Layla... By all means go for the K10 if you don't have it yet. K10's female vocal is much more "poisonous" than the Layla's.

I have the Layla (generation 1), and wonder if I should:

1) sell universal Layla and get custom Layla
2) sell universal Layla (generation 1) and get Layla II
3) keep universal Layla as it is and get K10 CIEM

Right now I am heavily leaning towards option 3 but remember your first post when you created this thread you compared Layla to 846 and K10 CIEM. You did mention that Layla surpasses K10 in many areas, so I wonder if K10 is still worth getting. I am deeply attracted to the cosmetics and design though. 

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #1,439 of 2,420
mmm.....yeah I  really want the K 10 but I am kinda' waiting for its successor (as the flagship Noble Audio in-ear), if it is coming. I have 2 Nobles (4C and 6) and I  love the house sound of Noble. 

Feb 17, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #1,440 of 2,420
  I have the Layla (generation 1), and wonder if I should:

1) sell universal Layla and get custom Layla
2) sell universal Layla (generation 1) and get Layla II
3) keep universal Layla as it is and get K10 CIEM

Right now I am heavily leaning towards option 3 but remember your first post when you created this thread you compared Layla to 846 and K10 CIEM. You did mention that Layla surpasses K10 in many areas, so I wonder if K10 is still worth getting. I am deeply attracted to the cosmetics and design though. 

Yes, the Layla did surpass K10 as an overall package, but in terms of female vocal I think K10 has an edge. Some may call it coloured but switching between the two you will find that each has its own good, which other IEMs can't compare with, yet.  Options 1 and 2 are kind of meaningless if you ask me, unless you really want the most expensive IEMs at all times - definitely go for option 2 in that case.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back