JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Feb 1, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #1,381 of 2,420
  Hmm, I don't know about that. What I can tell you is that my shop orders from plusSound in bulk once they have cleared their stock, and they pick all the options, like the braid type, Y-splitter style ... When I purchased mine the bass adjuster was very dodgy, you know how they use two dots at the end of one side of the bass dial to represent where your bass level is at, the first one my shop gave me had the two dots on both sides of the indicator thing, and they used a black marker to paint the correct end black ... I couldn't accept this and asked for another cable that looks like the original bass dial .... and fortunately there was one that got it right. However the bass dial thing is obviously ordered from other factories, the cable and its other components (made by plusSound) are very robust and nicely made so far. I just find it too thick and 'rope like' but that's my own problem for not selecting X6. 

Yup - we'll have to see. They claim it's even - but I don't understand how a picture can lie if it's so obvious.

Customer service has been excellent, I'm just concerned with whether or not they're being forthcoming about things I've mentioned.

The cable cost me almost $650 Canadian..

I think I'm being fair for a cable that costs almost a grand... I waited for a month, described exactly what I wanted - which is also how majority of other cables look.. I spent countless of hours in back and forth emails trying to straighten things - but I just keep getting suckered.. I hope this is not the case as I truly want to have a good experience with them.

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #1,382 of 2,420

Yup - we'll have to see. They claim it's even - but I don't understand how a picture can lie if it's so obvious.

Customer service has been excellent, I'm just concerned with whether or not they're being forthcoming about things I've mentioned.

The cable cost me almost $650 Canadian..

I think I'm being fair for a cable that costs almost a grand... I waited for a month, described exactly what I wanted - which is also how majority of other cables look.. I spent countless of hours in back and forth emails trying to straighten things - but I just keep getting suckered.. I hope this is not the case as I truly want to have a good experience with them.

Just exactly what was wrong in your picture? The red and blue logos were not centered? 

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #1,383 of 2,420
  Just exactly what was wrong in your picture? The red and blue logos were not centered? 

I have gold and silver.

The gold is towards the top and the silver is towards the bottom.

Something I specifically mentioned not to happen when buying this cable - numerous times.

It just doesn't look professionally done - and I'm not sure if they understand what I'm trying to say, but I've asked them so many times..

If I get it in-person and it looks like that; let's just say I'm not going to be too happy among other things.

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #1,384 of 2,420

Christian has been extremely professional and communicative - I just was expecting something that I didn't get.

Hopefully we'll reach a resolution - if not, it's tough that we'll end this on a bad note.

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #1,386 of 2,420
My cable for - all is well with PlusSound.

Clarification goes a long way - I'm probably going down in books as their toughest customer (I bet you they had a good laugh about me too!)

Bass adjusters built-in.

Feb 2, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #1,387 of 2,420

Clarification goes a long way - I'm probably going down in books as their toughest customer (I bet you they had a good laugh about me too!)

Bass adjusters built-in.

Glad it turned out fine, I didn't get what the problem was, I see gold and silver brand logos on each side, akin to my red and blue logos on each side, was that not what your initial photo portrayed?

The important thing: did it improve the sound? 

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #1,389 of 2,420
  So which one did you order then, did you demo it before purchase? Looking forward to you impressions, really curious as to whether you find SQ upgrades with the plusSound. 

I have been having a problem where my enjoyment of Layla fluctuates wildly. Was just amazed by the details, separation, soundstage, fullness on Sunday afternoon, but yesterday I was very underwhelmed and did not think it was that amazing. Same DAP, same cable, same tips, either this is 'burn in' (unlikely) or it is related to my own mood and mental state.... but I find it too neutral either way, and sometimes even find the mids recessed and the vocals 'sunken', and I don't enjoy them at all. The only cure is to turn the bass to full, using those mid warmth to give songs more life and emotions. But then after a while I know that this isn't right, the bass is simply too much and a lot of clarity and details are masked.

This is frustrating as I can't get my Laylas to sound consistently good, and don't know whether this stems from the product or my own 'stress level, mood, mental state' . I am picking up Spinfits later today and really hope this would be the solution ... I hate to have to sell them if this inconsistency persists ...  

bro, I don't know what your ears are made of but these are defo the best pair of headphones I've ever listened to and probably the last pair I;ve vever have to get in my life.  funnily I had that same mundane feeling u described when I first listened to them, but I guess was due to my dad leaving them unplayed for a while and needed to be burned in. 

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #1,390 of 2,420

bro, I don't know what your ears are made of but these are defo the best pair of headphones I've ever listened to and probably the last pair I;ve vever have to get in my life.  funnily I had that same mundane feeling u described when I first listened to them, but I guess was due to my dad leaving them unplayed for a while and needed to be burned in. 

Well not necessary.  If his Layla has crossover networking wiring issue, then it could account for the odd SQ.  Better RMA it back to JH to have them check the issue out.

Feb 2, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #1,391 of 2,420

Yeah, man! How's it sound? I see from your avatar that you already had a (very handsome might I add) plusaudio cable for your Laylas. Is this (even more handsome) cable better? 

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #1,392 of 2,420

Yes with the right source, right amplification, right bass adjustment and perfect seal they are truly something special. However, it often times reverts to the 'mundane feeling' you experienced before, namely recessed mids, un-engaging vocals, a boring kind of flatness. But on very rare occasions they sound glorious and has a scale no other iems currently can rival. 

The problem is I have been struggling with getting a good seal in my left ear with the new medium Spinfits, my left ear is more oily and the tips do not seal properly and I leak sound. The size and weight of the things also make them top (faceplate side) heavy and leaning / slipping slightly outward, ruining the perfect full sound. I have turned the bass to full (5'o clock position) to counter the 'boredom' they sometimes instill ... 

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #1,393 of 2,420
We audiophiles should have some masterpiece, standard recording that we can test our iem with. So we can all agree how powerful is the iem. Other than that, it will be ambiguous.

I have the same feeling that prismstorm have. I don't know if my Layla is really functioning properly with its full power.

For example, Mahler first symphony 4th movement, in the part where the whole orchestra is being used, layla fails miserably to produce a good soundstage and instrument separation. I will report the recording when I get home. But it is dsd format.

So when we talk about a gadget we have, I think mentioning the recording is significant.

Thanks

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #1,394 of 2,420
We audiophiles should have some masterpiece, standard recording that we can test our iem with. So we can all agree how powerful is the iem. Other than that, it will be ambiguous.

Thanks

I'll try to pick something from the musical geniuses Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift (DSD of course)

I'll let everyone know my very important choice soon so we can only discuss that one master song that will bring everyone together
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #1,395 of 2,420

I have the same feeling that prismstorm have. I don't know if my Layla is really functioning properly with its full power.

For example, Mahler first symphony 4th movement, in the part where the whole orchestra is being used, layla fails miserably to produce a good soundstage and instrument separation. I will report the recording when I get home. But it is dsd format.

So when we talk about a gadget we have, I think mentioning the recording is significant.

Thanks

I think Hotel California in Hell Freezes Over qualifies. I also think talking about soundstage in any IEM is a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back