JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #1,277 of 2,420
That sucks man... you should just send it back.

Of course you can probably super glue the thing and it'll stay in place but... yeah that sucks... I see why they went with the all metal build now...

I would email JH first and ask if you should do your own repair and what type of glue to use. If it really is simple I'd think they would give you this information. Also if they do agree to let you glue it yourself then get an email from them telling you they will replace the faceplate if it falls off again and you lose it.

It looks like there is a good amount of left over epoxy in the middle of the faceplate. Since you need an even surface for super glue to work I don't think it will be a good idea and would not risk trying the scrap that epoxy off.

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #1,278 of 2,420
  To be precise, I don't like how Layla produce the sound of Sia's Dressed In Black. But i do like it producing Beck's The Golden Age SACD. I don't know if it is related to the recording or one of the drivers ( high freq one ) is damaged/defected. Since in Sia the trebles is so pronounced. And Organs from Hans ZImmer's Interstellar, is too badly produced by Layla.

To be honest, i noticed this with every BA drivers iem i have. 

i wish it's recording related problem...

do you have anyspecial song that would test the capabilities of iems? i heard Jazz at the pawnshop is a good recording to test... but still looking for more options.

thanks. 

I'm downloading a lossless version now, but 1000 Forms of Fear still sounds like an over-compressed album to me, at least through TIDAL and  YouTube. I listened when it first released and liked it well enough, but I thought it somewhat poorly produced even before I listened with Laylas. 

The Interstellar Soundtrack sounds all right to me. The organs may be a little recessed in some spots.

Lately, I've been going to Earth, Wind and Fire for a benchmark. Try:

(Jump to 4:05, specifically, but do enjoy the whole song)

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #1,279 of 2,420
I would email JH first and ask if you should do your own repair and what type of glue to use. If it really is simple I'd think they would give you this information. Also if they do agree to let you glue it yourself then get an email from them telling you they will replace the faceplate if it falls off again and you lose it.

It looks like there is a good amount of left over epoxy in the middle of the faceplate. Since you need an even surface for super glue to work I don't think it will be a good idea and would not risk trying the scrap that epoxy off.

Nah. It's time for custom artwork.

Might I suggest:

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #1,280 of 2,420

I sent you a PM about the cracking test but didn't hear back from you. I actually sold my AK100ii with the intention of getting the AK320, but I was given a brand new AK Jr and decided to use it while I save up for the AK380... maybe even the copper version.

The JR is actually quite good... I'm kind of shocked at how good it sounds with the Layla, very emotionally involving and lively compared to the AK100ii. It's well worth the money they're charging. I'm kind of surprised it's not more popular on Head-Fi

I'm actually curious about the Moon Dragon cable for it. The price seems reasonable and it looks like they have JH's blessings. Although I don't like dealing with Moon Audio...

Yes, the Layla is impossibly full, wide, euphonic, lacking nothing, with a sense of impossible air/seperation not possible in this kind of velvety/sweet/smooth sound. There is nothing quite like it... it's like the LCD-2 and HD800 had an awesome baby that's better than both parents in everyway. Haha.

I used to have the SE846... and the IE800 and K3003... and honest none of those interest me anymore... just can't get enough Layla. These mortals don't compare to the singing angel that is Layla.

I'm happy about the carbon fiber and sexy burnt titanium bezel. I'm glad I got a perfectly built/sounding one before they switched over. It's a masterpiece. I like the Layla so much I wouldn't mind buying a 2nd Layla, the new Layla 2 in titanium. But that would be totally insane...
very_evil_smiley.gif

I would need to make a nice bonus or something for that to even be a possibilitiy, haha.

Also the new Cowon Plenue S is all the rage in Korea right now, with some claiming it's better than the AK380... gotta go audition that first and see if I can save some pennies  

I'm sorry but I have checked Inbox and have received no PM from you, if you still have it in your Sent box do you mind sending it again? 

Why didn't you sell the 100ii only after you have acquired a new AK DAP? Otherwise if you didn't get that Jr (as a gift?) you would have no player whilst saving up for 380 or 380 copper. I have heard the Jr and the SQ was not so bad, however the UI was extremely sluggish, and miles apart from the Android-based one on the 100ii, 120ii, 240 and 380. There is no home button so you need to backtrack through multiple directories just to get back to the main menu, the screen resolution is quite low and colors not as vibrant, then of course there is no Wifi firmware update nor 2.5 balanced for your Laylas. Aside from the slimmer profile, it is in many ways a step backward from the 100ii, and the latter is not that much more expensive than the Jr. I guess I take into account all those things as well aside from sound quality. 

I haven't heard the 380 Copper but some local publications have stated that the background noise is much quieter (just like the 240SS before) because of the new grounding, and as a result bass also improved. But this is an endless cycle and after being bankrupted by 380 and amp I am financially compelled to stop chasing this AK madness, I hope to use this for at least 2 years and ideally more. The last piece of the puzzle is the Plussound cable for my Laylas, I'm still pondering whether to get it (there's a 15% off discount till the end of this month) and which one to get. 

Let me know how your journey goes? 

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #1,283 of 2,420
So... TIP ROLLING!

I'm sure there has been little to no talk of what tips to use with the Laylas... so let me amend that right now! (Okay, I know there's been a lot of talk, but I'd be glad if you could clear some of it up to me...)

1) Spinfits. Can I just order these and they'll fit the Layla universals or is it more complicated? http://www.amazon.com/SpinFit-Surround-SPFT-RD-01L-Earphone/dp/B00Q8X4JCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452880213&sr=8-1&keywords=spinfit

2) How about these then - what's the difference? http://www.amazon.com/SpinFit-Surround-SPFT-WH-01M-Earphone/dp/B00XL0458Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1452880213&sr=8-2&keywords=spinfit

3) I've also heard some people recommend Comply tips for Laylas - can you suggest a model?

4) And finally, anyone try them with Sensaphonic custom tips? 

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #1,284 of 2,420
The Comply 500 series works, and I have been using it on my Rox, Layla, and K10.

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #1,285 of 2,420
  The Comply 500 series works, and I have been using it on my Rox, Layla, and K10.

Those are what I use on my Layla. Very comfortable with great sound isolation.

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #1,286 of 2,420
  I'm sorry but I have checked Inbox and have received no PM from you, if you still have it in your Sent box do you mind sending it again? 

Why didn't you sell the 100ii only after you have acquired a new AK DAP? Otherwise if you didn't get that Jr (as a gift?) you would have no player whilst saving up for 380 or 380 copper. I have heard the Jr and the SQ was not so bad, however the UI was extremely sluggish, and miles apart from the Android-based one on the 100ii, 120ii, 240 and 380. There is no home button so you need to backtrack through multiple directories just to get back to the main menu, the screen resolution is quite low and colors not as vibrant, then of course there is no Wifi firmware update nor 2.5 balanced for your Laylas. Aside from the slimmer profile, it is in many ways a step backward from the 100ii, and the latter is not that much more expensive than the Jr. I guess I take into account all those things as well aside from sound quality. 

I haven't heard the 380 Copper but some local publications have stated that the background noise is much quieter (just like the 240SS before) because of the new grounding, and as a result bass also improved. But this is an endless cycle and after being bankrupted by 380 and amp I am financially compelled to stop chasing this AK madness, I hope to use this for at least 2 years and ideally more. The last piece of the puzzle is the Plussound cable for my Laylas, I'm still pondering whether to get it (there's a 15% off discount till the end of this month) and which one to get. 

Let me know how your journey goes? 

Yeah it's total madness, haha. I'm enjoying the journey. After getting a brand new/sealed JR near Christmas the whole DAP thing has been turned on its head for me. I had auditioned the JR before and had very similar thoughts you have about it. After actually owning it... the sound more than makes up for the slight inconvenience. I'm already used to the UI and the response speed is not a problem al all. It's honestly just fine.

The JR showed me that the DAP market right now isn't mature enough to spend big $$$. I think things will keep improving for a while and the amazing sound will trickle down to the lower tier players. The JR is just amazing... I'm surprised it didn't put the AK100ii/120ii/240 out of business. It is more lively with better tonal density/midrange detail. The sound is more enveloping/lush/3Dimensional without being colored. The slim/smaller package is very nice too. I put gorilla glass front and back and put on a tan offical AK leather case and it's a sweet little unit now. The form factor is just really wow for me.

Initially I bought this thinking I'd pair it up with the new JH Rosie and have a really compact travel unit and pair the Layla up with the AK380 or AK320 for a sit-down-at-coffeeshop kind of listening, but the JR has me 2nd guessing spending $$$ on higher units.

I'm also very curious about the new Cowon Plenue S, as people say that offers better sonics/ui/speed than the AK380 (at least they're saying that in Korea right now).

You need to get off that AK Hamster Wheel... they will keep putting out better units every six months and it's going to drive you nuts
very_evil_smiley.gif
 (After Copper there is the all .925 Silver Version in the works...)

Jan 16, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #1,288 of 2,420

The JR showed me that the DAP market right now isn't mature enough to spend big $$$. 

Is the JR as good for stacking as the x7 though? I've heard it doesn't have optical out at all. I'm guessing there's no dedicated line out either, so not "transparent"? Profile-wise it looks like a perfect candidate for pairing with the Cayin c5...

With a dedicated line out (and optical, which it just doesn't have at all, DAC not bypassable) it would have been the perfect "carrier" to attach to a Huge etc. Missed chance there, design-wise.

Jan 16, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #1,289 of 2,420

Is the JR as good for stacking as the x7 though? I've heard it doesn't have optical out at all. I'm guessing there's no dedicated line out either, so not "transparent"? Profile-wise it looks like a perfect candidate for pairing with the Cayin c5...

With a dedicated line out (and optical, which it just doesn't have at all, DAC not bypassable) it would have been the perfect "carrier" to attach to a Huge etc. Missed chance there, design-wise.

There is no digital out as far as know, and the line-out is just a fixed max volume option. So you will essentially be "double-amping"

If you're stacking and carrying around huge bricks, there is no point to the JR... the whole point is the slim/nice form factor and nice sound without frills

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #1,290 of 2,420
After 3 years with a set of Aurisonics AS-2, it's time to upgrade. My order was placed on Friday for a set of Laylas! It's a good thing that I have a set of customs already otherwise I would be climbing the walls in anticipation.

As an aside, I would like to whole heartedly recommend Dr Julie Glick at Musicians Hearing Solutions to anyone in the New York area that needs impressions or is looking to order from UE or JH Audio. She was quick, efficient, and had some great recommendations concerning my IEM order. Also, Dr Glick was able to place my order during my appointment with a note to call me for a shipping address (I don't know where I will be when they are finished). She even offered to let me borrow a set of universal Laylas over the weekend, but I declined. Overall it was a solid and efficient little appointment.

Here's looking forward to February!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back