JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Jun 25, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #496 of 2,420
funnily I have the ex1000, 1p2 and Layla with me right now... They're all in different leagues...

Jun 25, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #497 of 2,420
mmm.....and that's why you need a shirt clip to keep the *humongous* Layla in place while moving around. It is so very easy to lose seal (the fitment is one of my daily frustrations with the Layla). Move your jaw. Loose seal. Move your head. Loose seal. Sweaty ears. Loose seal. Walk a bit. Loose seal.

Jun 25, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #498 of 2,420
To me it has a hollow tonality, slightly muffled sound, and like it's plugged compared to my NT-6 which sounds more open and clear.  I can make out sounds a lot better and make out nuances much better with the NT-6.  It's easily decernable between the two.  NT-6 sound tighter overall.

Jun 25, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #500 of 2,420
When I went from SE846 white filter & 1p2 to Angie, I too find the Angie completely hollow and lifeless. It took me 3 days to realize that I have been listening to boosted peaks  all this while. Angie had shown me what accurate tonality is like. I have been observing my own speech for a while and all my IEM fail to reproduce the accurate tonality like Angie does. In real life speech, its pretty warm and has no sss or Shhh unless we do it on purpose. 1p2 and SE846 has all these ss and sshh in the vocal.

I have long suspected that of us here will not get used to it. Real life sound are in fact are very warm. It takes some time to get used to this kind of tonality.

just my 2cents

Jun 25, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #501 of 2,420
funnily I have the ex1000, 1p2 and Layla with me right now... They're all in different leagues...

Talking about soundstage alone ex1000 is quiet large. It will suffer with micro detail and layering but hey it is an old iem. Kaede II on the other hand is great for all that.

Jun 25, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #502 of 2,420
When I went from SE846 white filter & 1p2 to Angie, I too find the Angie completely hollow and lifeless. It took me 3 days to realize that I have been listening to boosted peaks  all this while. Angie had shown me what accurate tonality is like. I have been observing my own speech for a while and all my IEM fail to reproduce the accurate tonality like Angie does. In real life speech, its pretty warm and has no sss or Shhh unless we do it on purpose. 1p2 and SE846 has all these ss and sshh in the vocal.

I have long suspected that of us here will not get used to it. Real life sound are in fact are very warm. It takes some time to get used to this kind of tonality.

just my 2cents
I can agree with this post 100% This is one of the truest posts (from a personal standpoint) I've ever seen on this forum.

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #503 of 2,420
Guys, if you can't be civil, don't post.

Checking the tips is definitely worth doing. The Spinfits seem to bring out the bass a bit more for example.  The Laylas seem to be more sensitive to amping. They sound dark out of my AK240 but brighter out of the ALO Rx. That doesn't happen with other IEMs that I have here.

My impressions of them definitely change depending what I've been listening with just before. They sounded amazing until I had the Ethers and HE1000s here for a few weeks, then suddenly they weren't that great for me any more. It's the same as if I listen with the HD800s for a while then switch to the LCD-Xs, which then sound too dark.

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #504 of 2,420
Layla, like my UERM, are easily impacted by output impedance. I agree the AK240 darkens Layla up with its 3+ measured OI under load. It did the same to the UERM.

The Rx is a nice little amp. A bit on the trebly side but it's very good treble. I imagine it sounds very nice with the Layla.

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #505 of 2,420
I agree that they are the most hard to predict IEMs regarding to response to different amps/sources. This is something to consider.

Anyway, the fact that Layla generates so intense discussions is mainly due to the high price tag, which leads to certain expectations, especially if you buy blind. I would never recommend that for these IEMs. Their tonality is very particular (not 'neutral' IME) and it's better to be heard before taking such a decision. I didn't do that and was utterly disappointed.

Jun 25, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #506 of 2,420
That is true, my VERY initial impressions for my purchased pair were of pure disgust, the tonality was so far off, thankfully I'd had all of a 30 second listen to a pair previously, so I knew what they should do...

The rest is now history, as is the contents of my wallet :)

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #507 of 2,420
Any Layla owners using the DHC Symbiote SP V2 8-wire braid cable alongside?

Btw can anyone give more information about the carbon fiber or kevlar shell for them, any other advantages beside durability what are the pro/cons of each? I see that you lose the ability to customize design with those.

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #508 of 2,420

Btw can anyone give more information about the carbon fiber or kevlar shell for them, any other advantages beside durability what are the pro/cons of each? I see that you lose the ability to customize design with those.

Didn't know that DHC have the 8-wire option. But I'm in the line for the cable.

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #510 of 2,420

I opted out of a full custom fiber shell because the JH Audio folks told me if I needed a refit after the 30 days, it would be harder and more expensive to do, so likely more than the $50 refit fee after the initial 30 days.

As you noted, you have fewer customization options overall. There are no differences in sound at all. I think the acrylic shells are extremely well made so in reality I don't think durability is much of an issue either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back